Options

Film frames and copyright

thortatethortate Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited March 15, 2006 in Technique
Hello, thanks for reading my first post, dgrin looks like a hive of activity, I hope I can contribute a little - I've already learned a lot from browsing the threads!
Can any one help with this question, I've made my own film frames for some of my pix, an example here ( http://www.thortate.com/ ) and I've sold one or two of them. I've just been told that this is a breach of copyright - is this the case? I wouldn't think this would be an issue for Kodak's copyright.

Comments

• Options
    MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    thortate wrote:
    Hello, thanks for reading my first post, dgrin looks like a hive of activity, I hope I can contribute a little - I've already learned a lot from browsing the threads!
    Can any one help with this question, I've made my own film frames for some of my pix, an example here ( http://www.thortate.com/ ) and I've sold one or two of them. I've just been told that this is a breach of copyright - is this the case? I wouldn't think this would be an issue for Kodak's copyright.

First of all, welcome to Dgrin!

Secondly, I am not a lawyer, but I suspect that this is an infringement of copyright. Were you using a Kodak camera? It would be one thing if you had actually blown up a film negative (including the edge of the strip) but it is a different and much more complicated thing if you have just put the Kodak name one something you have created.

Perhaps one of the other dgrinners can help more, but were it me, I would make up a fake film company name to put there.

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    You could put a disclaimer at the bottom of the pages that show this frame saying to the effect "Kodak is a registered trademark of the Kodak corporation. Kodak is not affiliated with this site blah blah blah."
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    MrBook2 wrote:
    Perhaps one of the other dgrinners can help more, but were it me, I would make up a fake film company name to put there.
    I'm no lawyer either, but i have made things like that before. Allthough it was never to sell. Just to prevent any problems i did exactly as MrBook2 suggested. Knowing myself, i probably used "Kadok" film, or "Fiju" film or something to that extend... People who are not into photography, usualle don't even knotice the difference i would imagine...

Oh, and welcome wave.gif
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Kadok and Fiju reminds me of...
    Marge says they can't afford a store with philosophy just to get a
    TV, and the family goes to the Outlet Mall in Ogdenville. Signs
    pass: "Paved Road Ends - 64 Miles", "Former Japanese Internment Camp
    90 Miles", "Ogdenville - 277 Miles"... Homer and Bart check out the
    TVs available in a grey-market store.

Homer: I]gasps[/I Look at these low, low prices on famous brand-name
    electronics!
    Bart: Don't be a sap, Dad. These are just crappy knock-offs.
    Homer: Pfft. I know a genuine Panaphonics when I see it. And look,
    there's Magnetbox and Sorny.
    Salesman: I]walking up[/I Listen, I'm not going to lie to you. Those
    are all superior machines. But if you like to watch your TV,
    and I mean _really_ watch it, you want the Carnivale'.
    I]shows Homer and Bart a TV very similar to their old one[/I
    It features two-pronged wall plug, pre-molded hand grip well,
    durable outer casing to prevent fallapart...
    Homer: Sold. You wrap it up, I'll start bringing in the pennies.
    ivar wrote:
    I'm no lawyer either, but i have made things like that before. Allthough it was never to sell. Just to prevent any problems i did exactly as MrBook2 suggested. Knowing myself, i probably used "Kadok" film, or "Fiju" film or something to that extend... People who are not into photography, usualle don't even knotice the difference i would imagine...

Oh, and welcome wave.gif
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Welcome to dgrin..........
    Your home page looks great.....I think a small change in the spelling would be all that is needed...as Ivar said Kadok or even Kodiak...or Kodac anything that is different....

Again grat looking home page.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 8, 2006
    many thanks
    many many thanks for the prompt advice, what a welcome!

the 'disclaimer' idea sounded good and playing with the company names too, but I settled with a fictional teutonic 'leichmann' (my dodgy German for light-man.)

Kodak get enough attention anyway! and it would suggest that if the picture is good maybe the film had something to do with it... something that we all know isn't necessarily true!

Thanks again folks :):
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    Welcome to dgrin..........
    Your home page looks great.....I think a small change in the spelling would be all that is needed...as Ivar said Kadok or even Kodiak...or Kodac anything that is different....

Again grat looking home page.

Thank you, that is encouraging, my first effort at web design!

I took a peek at your site I can see similar interests to mine, I liked the delicate quality of the Iced tree it looks like it could shatter if you touch it!

I'm trying to follow the seasonal changes in interesting trees, but I haven't found one that looks equally great through all the seasons

Thank again,
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2006
    thortate wrote:
    Thank you, that is encouraging, my first effort at web design!

I took a peek at your site I can see similar interests to mine, I liked the delicate quality of the Iced tree it looks like it could shatter if you touch it!

I'm trying to follow the seasonal changes in interesting trees, but I haven't found one that looks equally great through all the seasons

Thank again,

Thank you for the compliments.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    I could not get into your site. I tried Firefox, Netscape, and Internet Explorer. All said can't find the server or page not available etc.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    I could not get into your site. I tried Firefox, Netscape, and Internet Explorer. All said can't find the server or page not available etc.
    Which one of our sites?....I just ran thru FF and Opera and....... mine seems to be working fine.ne_nau.gif

• Options
    Bandit959Bandit959 Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Welome ! :D

I'm also not a lawyer, but let me offer some thoughts.

This will all come down to how Kodak protected their "intellectual property". Did they actually place a "copyright" on the film, register the markings as a trademark or is it considered "merely descriptional information"?

I suspect that this wasn't only a CR issue, but a possible trademark infringment as well. There is a possibility that the words "Kodak" in their specific font is trademarked, even though there isn't a "R" or "TM" associated with it. If you go to their website, the words "Kodak" has a specific color associated with it, and could be a TM. And I would suspect that their "logo" is probablly trademarked as well.

The whole CR/TM is a slippery slope that I would reccomend avoiding if possible. Chaninging the name to Leichmann was probably a smart thing to do.

As for the website, you can get it to load faster if you break your image into a mosaic of 4, 6 or 9 smaller images. That will help the people who still have dial up and that may be contributiong to snapapples' issue. ne_nau.gif

Again, welcome!
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2006
    snapapple wrote:

Is that my site?
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2006
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by snapapple

thortate wrote:
    Is that my site?

Thorate, yours has been fine when I have gone into it
    I think it was at Snappy's end.......but don't know....I too was hoping to find out which site ..... Hmmmmmmm ????

• Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    The whole CR/TM is a slippery slope that I would reccomend avoiding if possible. Chaninging the name to Leichmann was probably a smart thing to do.

Again, welcome![/quote]

Thanks for all the help folks, this Dgrin is a real inspiration, I feel at home already!
    By the way, if anyone wants to use 'Leichmann' on their frames, feel free, I don't mind, I haven't copyrighted it!... (...yet!)

Thor