Anybody else find things slow?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited March 8, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Anybody else finding that things are slow going looking at smugmug pages?

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    Anybody else finding that things are slow going looking at smugmug pages?

Have you run a dslreports.com speed test from you to smugmug.com?

I'm not noticing any speed probs, and I've been doing a bunch of crazy testing - like adding 1300 images to shopping cart naughty.gif
  • cocokolacocokola Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2006
    Smugmug = Slow!!
    Andy wrote:
    Have you run a dslreports.com speed test from you to smugmug.com?

I'm not noticing any speed probs, and I've been doing a bunch of crazy testing - like adding 1300 images to shopping cart naughty.gif

My throughput is fine, and I have noticed an incredible slow down when browsing as well. Even this forum, to write this message it took 20 seconds for the page to render before I could start typing.

I was showing the site to two other potential customers, and they both said, hey, this site is S L O W.. I had to agree with them that I noticed things were going slowly lately. I'm seeing this from both work (three DS3) and home (3.0m / 768 DSL)

It concerns me that you are not seeing a problem?? A quick look at your web server should show some statistics..

-CoCoKola
  • cocokolacocokola Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 7, 2006
    cocokola wrote:
    My throughput is fine, and I have noticed an incredible slow down when browsing as well. Even this forum, to write this message it took 20 seconds for the page to render before I could start typing.

I was showing the site to two other potential customers, and they both said, hey, this site is S L O W.. I had to agree with them that I noticed things were going slowly lately. I'm seeing this from both work (three DS3) and home (3.0m / 768 DSL)

It concerns me that you are not seeing a problem?? A quick look at your web server should show some statistics..

-CoCoKola

sorry to steal the thread, but I am seeing the same problem..
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    No, I haven't run a dslreport because it looks like I would have to pay something to do it. I'm on my college network, which is why I ask if anybody else has issues because the network can be amazing one moment and cruddy the next. BTW, you know there's something wrong with you when you read that link and think DSLR Eport, and not DSL Report.
    Richard
    edited March 7, 2006
    No, I haven't run a dslreport because it looks like I would have to pay something to do it. I'm on my college network, which is why I ask if anybody else has issues because the network can be amazing one moment and cruddy the next. BTW, you know there's something wrong with you when you read that link and think DSLR Eport, and not DSL Report.
    Richard

Richard, dslreports.com is free, you must register, but the tools are free.
    edited March 7, 2006
    cocokola wrote:

-CoCoKola

Site please? Need to see your site because one site can be slow and others fast, depending on how the site is customized (or not).
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    I'm 1250 up and 2184 download.
    edited March 7, 2006
    I've checked the help files for the past 2 hours, no one else is reporting any slowness issues.

Speed is affected by many things.

* how many images are on the page - size and weight of the images also.
    * custom javascript
    * your network
    * your computer
    * your browser (IE is slooow, FF is much faster)
    * your browser's cache
    * your computer's hard drive
    * your connection to the internet
    * your ISP's backbone
    * SmugMug's servers

And a lot more.

Richard, I used FF's web speed report, and ran your homepage. It loaded in 1.5 seconds. The rest of the site was strong and responsive.
  • NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    I was at my sister's house today, she just got a new Dell computer, nice new monitor and everything. She pulled up my site and it was VERY slow to the point that we almost just gave up. That was about 6pm PST.

Also, we pulled up Picture #6 in this gallery and when she clicked on Large or Original of this picture, the lightbox never did work. It showed the oddest thing...a scroll bar appeared at the TOP of the screen within the gallery (almost as if though the entire picture was dragged all the way to the top, out of the screen, and all that was showing was the bottom of the picture with a scroll bar. I hope that makes sense.
    http://yolanda.smugmug.com/gallery/1046042/1/48560473

Just as an FYI - she was using IE and her monitor is the new wide screen type of monitor. I don't know if that makes any differece.

Gosh, I hope this was a fluke. I was really disappointed that my pictures looked like that on someone else's computer. When I got home, my site looked fine on my own computer.
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2006
    cocokola wrote:

-CoCoKola

I'm afraid if you're seeing slowness on SmugMug AND on Digital Grin, the problem probably resides on your side.

SmugMug and Digital Grin don't share any hardware, and actually are (mostly) on different networks.

And "a quick look at your web server should show some statistics" becomes much tougher when you've got over 60 web servers. :) Instead, we closely monitor response times from different network locations around the world as well as using internal metrics.

We haven't seen anything out of the ordinary today.

Don
  • RedskeeterRedskeeter Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Andy, I noticed a marked slowdown too starting a couple of day ago
    Ran BBR.com's test on my dsl, it's running at 1151 kbps down, 209 kpbs up.

site load time is about 12 seconds which is a lot slower than before.

Since I've been busy working on the customization (thanks to you guys for getting me started and "into it") but it makes me wonder if I've overloaded the site with graphics. Or, perhaps I have screwed up something that is causing the slowdown? I don't think I am downloading any huge graphics but the site, even linking to customization page is way slower.

If you have time and can eyeball the site or check to see if you have the same slow load, I would appreciate it.

the url is http://redskeeter.smugmug.com
    Wildlife & Nature Photography
    edited March 8, 2006
    Redskeeter wrote:
    Ran BBR.com's test on my dsl, it's running at 1151 kbps down, 209 kpbs up.

site load time is about 12 seconds which is a lot slower than before.

Since I've been busy working on the customization (thanks to you guys for getting me started and "into it") but it makes me wonder if I've overloaded the site with graphics. Or, perhaps I have screwed up something that is causing the slowdown? I don't think I am downloading any huge graphics but the site, even linking to customization page is way slower.

If you have time and can eyeball the site or check to see if you have the same slow load, I would appreciate it.

the url is http://redskeeter.smugmug.com

wave.gif Hi Skeeter,

OK so you have A LOT going on on your site :D

Lot's of CSS and custom html. And a slide show on your homepage. Lots of things (as I note above) can impact your speed performance. There's nothing happening on our end that is makign things slower - in fact if anything, i'm noticing sites are faster. And I cruise all over SmugMug all day and night.

Specifically, where are you noticing slowness? Homepage? Inside pages? What browser are you using? Have you tried clearing all your temp files? Is your computer and network up to date? Any firewall changes, adblocking, accelerator software, optimizers, etc running?
  • RedskeeterRedskeeter Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Whatever it was, you fixed it
    Thanks for looking at the site for me Andy, the problem has cleared itself as mysteriously as it appeared. I am guessing it was somewhere in the DSL pipes since I saw several 2 second network hangs reported when I ran the DSL reports and performance checker.

Appreciate the help. thumb.gif

You've created a monster now that you got me into css... I agree that I'll need to simplify the home page. Looking at the gallery structure to do something like you did on your home page.
    Wildlife & Nature Photography
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    While we're looking at things...

Take this:
    [COLOR=Red]<head>
        <style type="text/css">[/COLOR]

Out of your cobranding. Then fix this:
    [COLOR=Red]*/[/COLOR] ---Make the Lightbox image show in a pseudo picture frame ala Andy Moon---   */

The first */ in the line above needs to be a /*. On here:
    #navcontainer ul li a
                { 
                padding: 30px;
                text-decoration: none;
                color: [COLOR=Red]##[/COLOR]EFC377;
                }

You've got one too many # characters in your color declaration. You've done the same thing here:
    #photos #thumbnails .photo /* select all elements with id=photos */
                { height: 107px;
                            width: 105px; padding: 1px; margin: 1px;
                background:[COLOR=Red]##[/COLOR]A08560; /* set the background to be light brown */
                border:1px solid #65543c; /* put a border around 
                            the whole photos element */
                            }

But this time with the background declaration. Here you have an invalid color:
    #lightBoxNav, #lightBoxNav a, #lightBoxNav .nav, #lightBoxNav a.nav, 
                   #lightBoxNav .foreground 
                           {
                            color: [COLOR=Red]#88[/COLOR];
                           }

#88 isn't a color, perhaps you meant #888? For this one you have a colon instead of a semi-colon at the end of the statement:
    .spacer {height: 5px[COLOR=Red]:[/COLOR]}

Here you have an extra } at the end of the declaration:
    #featuredBox {text-align: center; /* center the slideshow image */
                         background-color: #947549;  /* set the color to the bg color */
                         margin-left: 225px; width: 300px} /* Set width and margin */
                         [COLOR=Red]}[/COLOR]

Here you have an extra . that is throwing everything off:
    [COLOR=Red].[/COLOR]             .gallery_1248604 .nophotos h3 
                        {
                        display: none;
                        }

Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/