Date Taken Organizing

lukeluke Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited March 8, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi,

I shoot sequences occassionally where the timestamp is for two or more images exactly the same. When smugmug organizes these by date taken it seems it puts the wrong one first going by the image name. The timestamps are the same but it would be nice if it defaulted to the image name after that in ascending order if one picked ascending too.

Timestamp organizing is the only sane way for me to organize when shooting more than one camera.

If there is a way to fix this without changing EXIF info - not that would help much unless you can add hundredths of seconds - let me know.

Comments

• onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    luke wrote:
    Hi,

I shoot sequences occassionally where the timestamp is for two or more images exactly the same. When smugmug organizes these by date taken it seems it puts the wrong one first going by the image name. The timestamps are the same but it would be nice if it defaulted to the image name after that in ascending order if one picked ascending too.

Timestamp organizing is the only sane way for me to organize when shooting more than one camera.

If there is a way to fix this without changing EXIF info - not that would help much unless you can add hundredths of seconds - let me know.

Interesting. Can you provide some links to galleries that exhibit this behavior? I'd like to know what's happening.

I *think* it probably will use whichever image was uploaded first if there's a collision, but I'm not 100% sure. It's definitely not using filename or caption or something like that as a fallback. It's even possible it's semi-random.

Unfortunately, making it "fail over" to image name after sorting by date taken is a lot more work on our backend, so it doesn't sound likely.

One possibility is to name your photos automagically as part of your workflow and then sort by filename instead. I know some other Pros are doing this.

Don