Options

Canon 1.4TC and Tamron 1.4TC

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Gj Nick,

Those bricks are hard to look at after a while :)

This is just a nit pick. Shouldn't the 1st shot be at 1/40?

I noticed something about your setup. The adobe RGB is a larger color space than sRGB. The negative to using sRGB is color clipping. This seems to be more of an issue with wildlife / landscapes. This shouldn't impact this test but probably will impact your shooting in the field.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,821 moderator
    edited March 10, 2006
    Nick,

Fantastic work, and greatly appreciated.

The Tamron is not as efficient a construction as the Canon, so the difference between the two exposures is not completely unexpected. As you stop down the aperture on the lens, the difference should be less between the two converters. (Think of the Tampron as having a smaller intrinsic aperture.)

The Tamron Pro is probably a better comparison to the Canon, but I an still surprised that the "little" Tamron did so well in optcal quality. I regard it as, not that bad. The fact that it will work on smaller aperture lenses, without taping the pins, is some value.

Thanks for taking so much time to make the tests and post the results.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Nick,

I second, third, fourth + what eveyone has said, greatly apprecated the time and effort you put into this!!! You have helped me out a great deal.
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Gj Nick,

Those bricks are hard to look at after a while :)

This is just a nit pick. Shouldn't the 1st shot be at 1/40?

You start to go a little crosseyed looking at these for too long don't ya. Actually the first shot should have been at 1/20th. As for as I know when using the same aperture on different lenses you should still have the same shutter speed, shouldn't you? This was my first time doing a test like this so I was kind of winging it.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words Jim. Even though I tried to keep things as consistent as possible, there was some varience in my shutter speeds and therefor brightness. Unless I am in a controlled environment with consistent lighting then I don't think this wold be a very fair test for exposure. Even though the light looked even to me when shooting these I did notice slight changes in exposure. But you are correct in your statement that it is hard to tell if the changes in exposure were from the light or the TC's.

I did notice the color changes between the Tamron and other shots. I didn't comment on it because I could not tell if it was consistent. I guess one way to check it would be to put a piece of white paper in the test area and then measure it's color in PS.
    pathfinder wrote:
    The message I take away, is that both TCs can be very useful devices, better with primes than zooms as you said, but not bad there either.
    Unless you are a real pixel peeper I think just about anyone would be happy with either TC on these lenses. Personally I prefer to shoot without a TC on but not completely for quality reasons. With the TC you lose light, which is visable when looking through the viewfinder, it looks darker and makes it harder to make sure you are in correct focus. The TC's also slow down AF, they don't make the lenses hunt unless you are in low light but they do slow it down.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto