Nikon RAW - Adobe plugin or Nikons?

Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited March 11, 2006 in Finishing School
I always use PS CS2 with the Adobe plugin to convert my RAW files. I was reading Ken Rockwells site the other day and he had mentioned something along the lines of Nikon has not released some of the information on the color space in the NEF files and that files open using the Nikon RAW converter will look different that the Adobe converter.

Has anyone heard this? Ive tried it and it seems to be true. I opened the same file in PS CS2 with the Adobe and Nikon RAW converters cropped a section of the photo and then save to jpg. The results are below.

Or am I just doing something wrong? :dunno These NEF's are coming from a D200

Nikon Plug in:

nikonplugin.jpg

Adobe Plug in:

adobeplugin.jpg

Comments

• zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Wow. I'll try this out, when I get time. I have CS2 and Capture.
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    I have always gotten better results using Capture for my RAW conversions.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • flyingpylonflyingpylon Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    I have always gotten better results using Capture for my RAW conversions.

I also do RAW conversions in Capture because I have seen the same problems with colors in CS2. That said, I'm no expert so it may very well be something I'm doing or not doing that is causing the problem. I sometimes wonder why I don't see more people talking about this.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    I haven't read up on the subject, but I'd suggest you might not be exploiting CS2 to it's potential. The RAW converter will give much better results if it is calibrated for each camera. The default settings are not always the best for all camera files.

Where's nrchris... he knows about this, AND he has a D200...
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Ive heard about having to calibrate the converter for your camera. Anyone have a pointer to a book / web / help file? Id much rather tweak CS2 then work with the Nikon software!

Ive been looking in the photoshop help files but Ive not found the info Im looking for there.
  • nrChrisnrChris Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    I created a profile for the RAW converter in CS2. I found Capture to make much nicer conversions, but too wonky to really work with. It chews up a ton of ram. So--open a test file in Capture, send it to Photoshop. Open the same file in Photoshop CS2 through ACR. Get the file in the raw converter to look like your imported Capture file. Record the settings that got you there. Repeat with another file or two, tweaking settings as needed, to get what I call a "baseline" group of settings.

The baseline settings is my starting point. This has been helpful to me to get the files looking the way that I like--similar to Captures output--but while significantly streamlining my workflow.

Hope that helps. Don't listen to DoctorIt though, I'm not an expert, just a nerd.

-nrChris
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 11, 2006
    Thanks chris. Do you get into the advanced settings in youre ACR "profile", or do you pretty much stick to the standard ones? I'm not sure what CS2 has, but in CS, there's that whole advanced tab where you can tune the color (being a dope, I never mess with that).
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• nrChrisnrChris Registered Users Posts: 48 Big grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    I still do not have my D200 profile down to the science that I had my D1H and D70 profiles. But the more advanced settings will often change more based on the lens and scene than the camera. If I get some time today I will post my settings. (There are even more tabs in PSCS2's ACR, Erik.)

-CF
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2
    FastScan wrote:
    Ive heard about having to calibrate the converter for your camera. Anyone have a pointer to a book / web / help file? Id much rather tweak CS2 then work with the Nikon software!

Ive been looking in the photoshop help files but Ive not found the info Im looking for there.

THE book to get on Photoshop's ACR is "Real World Camera Raw with Adobe Photoshop CS2" by Bruce Fraser. It will cover all the relevant topics from how to best use the controls to manipulate to your image to how to calibrate ACR colors specifically for your camera to workflow in ACR.

You can see it here at PeachPit http://www.peachpit.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0321334094&rl=1 and can probably get a 35% discount and free shipping using the coupon in this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29374.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Aaron BernardAaron Bernard Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    thanks Friend, I'm going to look into those books! I took nrChris's advise and messed around the the nikon version and the CS2 version until I had a close match in the camera raw converter. I did notice one thing though, Ive currently got my image optimization in the D200 set to:

Custom
    +1 sharpening
    + Enhanced Saturation

In order to get a close match I had to crank up the saturation in camera raw.

I notied with the Nikon raw converter my image was definatly sharper than the adobe image also.

It looks to me like in CS2 the raw file is being read without these settings and in the Nikon software or Nikon raw converter these settings are being applied to the raw file. Just a guess but that is what it looks like when messing around with this.

Anyway, Ive got CS2 looking very close to the Nikon conversions now.

thanks for the info and help!
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Adobe converter doesn't look at in-camera settings, except white balance
    FastScan wrote:
    I did notice one thing though, Ive currently got my image optimization in the D200 set to:

Custom
    +1 sharpening
    + Enhanced Saturation

In order to get a close match I had to crank up the saturation in camera raw.

I notied with the Nikon raw converter my image was definatly sharper than the adobe image also.

It looks to me like in CS2 the raw file is being read without these settings and in the Nikon software or Nikon raw converter these settings are being applied to the raw file. Just a guess but that is what it looks like when messing around with this.

Anyway, Ive got CS2 looking very close to the Nikon conversions now.

thanks for the info and help!

That makes sense to me. The Nikon converter understands and applies your in-camera settings when you view your RAW image. The Adobe converter only understands and applies the white balance setting. So, if you have enhanced saturation and +1 sharpening set in camera, the Nikon converter will apply those settings, the Adobe converter will not. To also apply those settings in ACR, you can just change it's defaults to also apply sharpening and saturation.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question