Overprocessed, or OK?

shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
edited March 10, 2006 in People
Been trying to improve my post skills. Is this overprocessed? Please disregard the man's neck...I ran out of time (crying baby) and didn't get his neck completed.

Thanks for looking and for comments!

58965517-L.jpg

Comments

• RhuarcRhuarc Registered Users Posts: 1,464 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    FOr me I think it looks OP (over processed) Or if I knew that no PP had been done, then it looks like they are wearing alot of makeup. In particular for me is the guy's forhead above his right eye. It just doesn't feel like there is enough of a realistic texture there to be actual skin.

I really like the picture, their facial expressions are spot on. I'm wondering if perhaps lightening it a little may help? (although that could just be my crappy monitor!)

Hope this helps, and I hope I'm not coming down too hard! :D
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I agree with Rhuarc, it looks over processed. The skin just looks blurred, you can tell because on his neck some parts are blurred while others are not. Their eyes look pretty good but I think could be a tad bit brighter, but don't make them look like aliens with glowing eyes. Both their lips look over sharpened. I think this picture has a lot of potential. If you haven't already seen it there is a great tutorial here.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    It's also very red on my monitor.
  • shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    If you haven't already seen it there is a great tutorial here.

That was the technique I was using. I guess that is why we continue to practice and implement...I'll read it again.

The man's skin is worse than the womans for sure. His skin was very problematic. I used a large "healing brush" for fixing his irregularities and acne/scars.

Thanks Rhuarc, Owen, and Gluwater for the comments so far...
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I'll agree with everyone so far. Personally, I would use a technique I stole from rutt for fixing blown areas (I think it was rutt) and paint a layer of their skintone on top of trouble areas, gaussian it, and then set it to to a very very low opacity to just draw attention away.
    Owen is also spot on about the colour cast, it's VERY dramatic. It almost looks like you used a warming filter, orange gels on the lights and had red walls to bounce off of! :D Just joking. Did you try getting a reasonably accurate wb? If not, I'd probably try fiddling with the tones a bit to make it look more natural.

Overall though, good work! I like it!
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    shatch wrote:
    That was the technique I was using. I guess that is why we continue to practice and implement...I'll read it again.

The man's skin is worse than the womans for sure. His skin was very problematic. I used a large "healing brush" for fixing his irregularities and acne/scars.

Thanks Rhuarc, Owen, and Gluwater for the comments so far...

I don't think there's anything wrong with some irregularities on skin; if you don't have any, you either look air-brushed or the victim of one-too-many plastic surgeries. Even though the skin is better on the gal than on the guy, I think she's over done as well.

You know, you might want to try using a small soft healing brush rather than a big one. It might give you more control.

Good luck with it!
    - Scott
  • HallidayHalliday Registered Users Posts: 149 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Overprocessed.
    It's the flaws and blemishes that make us individual.
    www.lanceshuey.com

I won't sell out even if the whole world think's I'm crazy.
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    I just ran a face shot through a noise program to reduce excess noise. I got an over processed look on my 60 yr old husband, though I had done no post in that direction. I had shot at a high ISO, there was a lot of noise........so......and it now looks "fake". IMO

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    I think this looks overprocessed to me and I basically agree with everything said beforehand. But I do love the intensity of their expressions and the tightness of the shot, whether cropped or not, is great. As always, I wonder about processing in black and white? Sure love their expressions. Oh yeah, keep some flaws please!