Critical analysis

ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
edited March 9, 2006 in People
My son shot this photo and I did a lot of work on it in Photoshop. I liked the composition but the lighting was a struggle. After I finished and printed out a copy, though, I liked the end result. My wife immediately mentioned cropping. So, If you have a moment and would throw some critique my way, that would be most appreciated.

As far as composition goes, by the way, I did that. My son's only 6. While very smart, he still tends to shoot pictures of odd concrete formations rather than people. ha!

59109554-L.jpg

Comments

• shatchshatch Registered Users Posts: 798 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2006
    Talented Child...
    Kudos to your 6 year old! It is fun to watch the kids get involved in photography.

The photo has some good potential. Overall concept is great. First recommendation is to read Andy's B&W conversion tutorial. It is very good. The depth of your conversion is a little flat. I played with your photo in Photoshop for a minute. I cloned out the extinguisher (it kept pulling attention away from you), cropped the photo in a little bit, added more depth the the b&w tones, then sharpened the image. Oh, I also strightened the photo during the crop (it could probably work both tilted and stright equally as well).

The left edge of the photo kept pulling my attention off the shot. That was the first reason I cropped it in a little.

Overall...great idea. A little post processing and I think you could have a real winner.

Keep your photos coming.
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    If those are the types of pics your 6 yr old takes, look out world, here he comesthumb.gif

the effect of the horizontal bricks w/ the vertical stripes on the shirt/door frame (?) is neat - I like it. I agree w/ shatch that it is a cool pic w/ lots of potential. I think parts of it are too blown out and, not knowing much about B/W conversions, I'm not sure if it was that technique or the original image.

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • ScarhartScarhart Registered Users Posts: 52 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Thanks so much for the responses, kind words, and the suggestions. I went through the various tutorials on conversion and making the image pop and certainly improved on the version posted. But I think the final analysis is to reshoot now that we have the angles down. Here's what the original looked like, in case you're curious:

59194275-M.jpg

Cheers,
    Scott