Options

got a photo shoot job!!! questions.....

livinginozlivinginoz Registered Users Posts: 497 Major grins
edited March 9, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
i am going to be the photographer for a 3 day horse show in july, norwegian fjords, the largest show in the country.

it's pretty laid back, so i they are not demanding any kind of particular photos, but i need a little information on how to deal with basics?

they pay a per diem fee. how do i know how much to charge? i am trying to get the info about what they paid to the last two photographers (one of whom is a well known horse photographer). i am also there as a participant in the show.

i will be setting up a smugmug gallery, and allowing participants to order their own shots. i did a small event for them in february, and everyone was happy with doing it that way. how do i know a proper amount to charge?

should i put a credit on the photos (my name)? i have experienced two shows there. the first year, the photographer came with a van and a lot of equipment, we got photos on the spot, and they all had the photographer's logo inconspiucuously on the front photo. last year, we were mailed injet prints and ordered from the photographer, he had no sig on the final photos.....

any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. here's a link to what i did the first time for them:

http://livinginoz.smugmug.com/gallery/1231083
thanks
laurie in rural minnesota

my stuff

Comments

• Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I'm not qualified to give you advice on pricing etc, but I sure can congratulate you!!!!clap.gif

I looked at your gallery from the last show and your pictures are great. Even with the lighting in an indoor horse arena, you did a very good job.

Good luck.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2006
    I'm not qualified to give you advice on pricing etc, but I sure can congratulate you!!!!clap.gif

I looked at your gallery from the last show and your pictures are great. Even with the lighting in an indoor horse arena, you did a very good job.

Good luck.

thanks, dana. i was a little concerned about that, and i was only using the on-camera flash. i have since gotten a real flash. i will be luckier with this summer show, since it's all outdoors. it might rain, but at least there's no funny lighting.

my stuff
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    What nice photos
    Hey Laurie, those are some neat pictures in your gallery. I bet, because you're a participant, you know exactly when and why to take photos when you do, that gives you an extra added edge!
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    You're the photographer
    When I say you're the photographer, what I mean is, you make the calls, you decide what it is you charge, you decide what you provide and how you provide it.

Would you use a doctor who asked you how you wanted your appendix taken out? No, you want to use a doctor who know what to do with that little ice cream maker mwink.gif

Firstly, accepting a job without knowing what you are going to be paid is a poor idea. Would you agree to sell your car to someone without first knowing how much you're going to sell it for?!?! On the flip side (the customer) would you agree to buy a car that had no price tag?
    livinginoz wrote:
    they pay a per diem fee. how do i know how much to charge? i am trying to get the info about what they paid to the last two photographers (one of whom is a well known horse photographer).
    Relying on what others were charging is a terrible way to determine your own pricing. How much do you need to earn for those three days? How much do you want to earn for those three days? How much is it going to cost you?

i am also there as a participant in the show.
    This generally a bad idea. You can't participate and shoot effectively. Ideally, the photographer needs to be a non participant so as to stay focused on the job. I wouldn't recommend doing this again in the future.

It's like the father of the bride being the main photographer for the day. He is not going to enjoy the day because he is working, and he is not going to get full coverage because he is participating in it.
    i will be setting up a smugmug gallery, and allowing participants to order their own shots. i did a small event for them in february, and everyone was happy with doing it that way. how do i know a proper amount to charge?
    How much do you need to earn per print? How much do you want to earn per print? How much is it going to cost you?
    should i put a credit on the photos (my name)? i have experienced two shows there. the first year...had the photographer's logo inconspiucuously on the front photo. last year...had no sig on the final photos.....
    What do you want to do? You can already see there is precedent both ways. So it comes down to what the photographer wants to do. That's you! :D
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2006
    thanks, shay, you give me a lot to think about...when i'm done feeling like a dork.....

this is the first time i have done this (except for 25 some years ago when i did my sister-in-law's wedding), so i have no idea about charges and such. i have taken photos there informally the last two years, but not officially. it's a small group, and everyone helps out, and the director has no problem with me doing the maybe two classes out of the 3 days i am there. i have a friend who goes with me, and she can cover those. but since this is a first for me, i have no basis of comparison on how to charge.........

my stuff
  • Options
    lynnesitelynnesite Registered Users Posts: 747 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    thanks, shay, you give me a lot to think about...when i'm done feeling like a dork.....

In a nutshell--you're better off joining Equine Photographers Network as a trial or general member. Tons of info on show shooting there, and a sample contract. Get it in writing!!!

http://www.equinephotographers.org I believe. The forum area is the place to go!

Additionally, you must somehow get a lens that allows you to shoot at 100mm or higher (actual)--when you shoot horses with a short lens, their legs look spindly and their heads look elongated. I'd recommend Canon's 70-200 f4L for around $550 if you are on a budget, the 2.8 if you're not--the latter is a horse show photographer's gold standard. Good luck and hope to see you over at EPNet!
  • Options
    StormdancingStormdancing Registered Users Posts: 917 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    livinginoz wrote:
    Awww you're not a dork!

Step back for a bit and take some of Shay's advice. Get your pencil and start figuring.

I know from showing horses in my youth, there is a lot of stand around and wait time. Use it. Use your friends and family to prepare your horse and take care of all that stuff as much as possible. Your "actual" participation in the event (time wise in the ring) is usually very small unless you're entering several animals in several classes.

You are going to have to be very organized. Write out a time schedule and go over it with your help with the horse. Know where you will be and what you will be doing and they should know what is expected of them also.
    Dana
    ** Feel free to edit my photos if you see room for improvement.**
    Use what talents you possess: the woods would be very silent if
    no birds sang there except those that sang best.
    ~Henry Van Dyke
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Ah gee
    I don't think it was Shay's intention to make you feel like a dork.

You said it was pretty laid back, but it's also a 3 day, biggest show? So that's worth something. Plus all the time you will spend processing and uploading the photos.

You can't just count the actual time at the show taking pictures, you need to consider the after show time you'll spend too. So if the show is 24 hours (8 hours times 3 days) you will probably need double that -- or close to it for the after show stuff.

I guess it works like this -- they pay you for 3 days, and who ever wants the pictures gets prints from your website for the price you decide on?

But you have no guarantee they will purchase your prints. They just may do screen grabs or want the digital file.

So I don't think you can count on print sales to make up for the time you spent taking and processing all the photos -- so I'd be sure your per diem rate is high enough to cover "all" your time. Any print sales are just extras...

It's too bad you don't have access to what they paid the other photographers. They must like your work or they wouldn't ask you, and it's a big responsibility, so your fee should reflect that.

Let us know what happens...:):
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2006
    lynnesite wrote:
    In a nutshell--you're better off joining Equine Photographers Network as a trial or general member. Tons of info on show shooting there, and a sample contract. Get it in writing!!!

http://www.equinephotographers.org I believe. The forum area is the place to go!

Additionally, you must somehow get a lens that allows you to shoot at 100mm or higher (actual)--when you shoot horses with a short lens, their legs look spindly and their heads look elongated. I'd recommend Canon's 70-200 f4L for around $550 if you are on a budget, the 2.8 if you're not--the latter is a horse show photographer's gold standard. Good luck and hope to see you over at EPNet!

thanks, lynne, that sounds like a great resource. i actually have a 70-200, and i think i shot a lot with my 17-85 at the indoor show. this show has a ton of classes, a lot of variety with english, western, driving, halter, showmanship, log skid.....i don't worry too much about my riding, since i only enter a couple of classes (trotted through barrels last year Laughing.gif). it's not nearly as formal an event as a wedding, but i do want to do a good job for them.

by the way, lynne, i have looked at your horse galleries, and they are gorgeous! right now my main model is a very scruffy dirty fjord, and a black QH who's been wearing a blanket all winter........

my stuff
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    I don't think it was Shay's intention to make you feel like a dork.

You said it was pretty laid back, but it's also a 3 day, biggest show? So that's worth something. Plus all the time you will spend processing and uploading the photos.

You can't just count the actual time at the show taking pictures, you need to consider the after show time you'll spend too. So if the show is 24 hours (8 hours times 3 days) you will probably need double that -- or close to it for the after show stuff.

I guess it works like this -- they pay you for 3 days, and who ever wants the pictures gets prints from your website for the price you decide on?

But you have no guarantee they will purchase your prints. They just may do screen grabs or want the digital file.

So I don't think you can count on print sales to make up for the time you spent taking and processing all the photos -- so I'd be sure your per diem rate is high enough to cover "all" your time. Any print sales are just extras...

It's too bad you don't have access to what they paid the other photographers. They must like your work or they wouldn't ask you, and it's a big responsibility, so your fee should reflect that.

Let us know what happens...:):

more good stuff to digest, thanks :)

i am hoping she will let me know what they have paid in the past. that way i won't end up selling myself short.

my stuff