Mamiya ZD

Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
edited March 9, 2006 in Cameras
So anyone have an extra $12,000 to throw down on the new Mamiya 35mm dSLR (body only of course)? Yeah, it's 22MP of pure photography bliss. So I know nothing about Mamiya - or Hasselblad for that matter - would that ZD be the r0x0rz or is it just a way for those with Mamiya lenses to travel outdoors without a sherpa? How would it compare to a 1DsmkII? How about Mamiya lenses compared to L glass?
Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Apparently the ZD has a 48 x 36mm CCD which makes the sensor twice as large as a 35mm sensor. Okay, so it is medium format...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Previews look pretty good.
    http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/mamiya-zd-ist.shtml

I used to shoot with Mamiya 645 a long time ago. Great lenses. Good camera - probably would have liked it better but I came from Hasselblad - my equipment was stolen and I couldn't afford to replace so downsized to the Mamiya.

I would love to have one of these but I can't imagine the price and I'd need the above mentioned sherpa to pack my gear. Think of what I could buy for the same price as this baby!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    I can't imagine what the raw file sizes must be with this 22mp camera! Right now I have trouble with my computer opening multiple raw files from my lowly camera. You would need a Cray supercomputer just to run Photoshop with these files.
  • ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Mitchell wrote:
    I can't imagine what the raw file sizes must be with this 22mp camera! Right now I have trouble with my computer opening multiple raw files from my lowly camera. You would need a Cray supercomputer just to run Photoshop with these files.

From what I've read, the raw file size is about 35mb per.
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    ehughes wrote:
    From what I've read, the raw file size is about 35mb per.

Maybe they should up the price an additional $2K and toss in an extra 4g of super fast RAM!
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen