Pentax W10 - first underwater macro(?) images

troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
edited March 10, 2006 in Holy Macro
Hi all,

I have not done the math to determine if this is technically a macro, as the sensor size on a point and shoot is so small, but it was taken within a couple of centimeters of the subject, so what the heck...

59219907-M.jpg

Image was taken with a just out of the box Pentax W10 - in the underwater macro mode. Subject is a Golden Stonefly. As I purchased the camera for underwater macro imaging of fish and insects, I figured that the first images taken with it should be of such. This is straight from the camera - processing was default for the underwater macro mode and the flash fired. (Several more samples are available on my smugmug site troutstreaming com in the insects gallery.)

Hopefully this weekend I can get out and find more underwater subjects to give the camera a full work-out.

Enjoy,

Andy
www.troutstreaming.com
Outdoor and Sports Media

Comments

• wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    definately macro. and definately a cool shot.

I've seen many a stonefly and tied quite a few but I've never seen one in it's natural habitat quite like this!

Great website too.
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Oh wow Macro in water great i loved it thanks for sharing :D
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    He Looks Good
    Hi all,

I have not done the math to determine if this is technically a macro, as the sensor size on a point and shoot is so small, but it was taken within a couple of centimeters of the subject, so what the heck...

Image was taken with a just out of the box Pentax W10 - in the underwater macro mode. Subject is a Golden Stonefly. As I purchased the camera for underwater macro imaging of fish and insects, I figured that the first images taken with it should be of such. This is straight from the camera - processing was default for the underwater macro mode and the flash fired. (Several more samples are available on my smugmug site troutstreaming com in the insects gallery.)

Hopefully this weekend I can get out and find more underwater subjects to give the camera a full work-out.

Enjoy, Andy

Hi Andy..........my my he looks great.......check out the pattern on his head and his back....... good detail too, gosh I bet your really pleased with the results your getting at this early stage clap.gif looking really good thumb.gif

Good luck.......hope to see more of your work....... Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • troutstreamingtroutstreaming Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Thank you all for taking a look!
    Hi all,

Thank you all for taking a look and leaving a message!

I am very happy with how the first images turned out - it certainly looks like I should be able to get some fun images with the equipment submerged rather than shooting through the walls of a tank or with the subject removed from its element. Lighting and motion blur look like they will be the biggest challenge (and cold hands until the water temps warm up...)- as the small sensor size helps with depth of field (and given that there is really no practical aperature control on the point and shoot, DOF will be what it will be.) Using the built in flash underwater for macros will be interesting, as the flash will always be coming from the upper left - and at a strong angle. Maybe some mylar with plastic backing as a reflector could help with fill. Lots of things to play with - need to get out and find some more subjects.

Take care,

Andy
    www.troutstreaming.com
    Outdoor and Sports Media