Am I getting better? HS B-Ball

PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
edited March 12, 2006 in Sports
All I can say is the proper tool for the job makes a HUGE difference! I have recently upgraded from a 20D to the 1D2N, and WOW! The camera can't point itself, or push its own shutter, but the AutoFocus is INCREDIBLE! The frame rate, I still can't believe the frame rate!

These are all ISO3200, 1/400th, and 2.8... There is noise, but they look better at larger res then they do here. Overall I am VERY HAPPY, now if only the school I am following can make it to the Breslin Center!

Here they are:

59173555-M-1.jpg

59172789-M-1.jpg

59170668-M-1.jpg

Thanks for looking, and of course CC is welcome!
Mike LaPorte
Perfect Pix

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Nice shots thumb.gif
  • illuminati919illuminati919 Registered Users Posts: 713 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Nice action, it seems like there is some weird light coming from the right side of the photos, or is it just me ? Keep it up.
    ~~~www.markoknezevic.com~~~

Setup: One camera, one lens, and one roll of film.
  • PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Thanks for the kind words! Yes there is a weird light coming from the right, it was the SCORERS TABLE! They have the BRIGHTEST sign I have ever seen! It really made it impossible to get a consistant WB. I set a custom WB, using some paper towel, that gets me pretty close, but that darn TABLE light was a PITA! It was so bright, it caused flare in anything that I shot in that direction!

CAn anyone teach me how to remove that cast in the picture?
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 10, 2006
    Very nice and yes you are getting better thumb.gifthumb.gif It doesn't hurt to have a 1DN gattling gun to shoot with.....Laughing.gif But as you mention, it doesn't set exposure, focus on the right action or release the shutter automatically :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    All I can say is the proper tool for the job makes a HUGE difference! I have recently upgraded from a 20D to the 1D2N, and WOW! The camera can't point itself, or push its own shutter, but the AutoFocus is INCREDIBLE! The frame rate, I still can't believe the frame rate!

Man, you're really make me want a 1-series. :( I tried one briefly. The response of that camera was nearly telepathic.

As per exposure issues regarding that light source. Were you shooing manual? Tv or Av? If not manual, would center-spot metering help any?
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • David StevensDavid Stevens Registered Users Posts: 107 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Very nicely done! :):
    David L. Stevens
    edited March 10, 2006
    All were shot on Manual settings, I did another game there tonight, with the same settings. This time we lost though. :(

I am still loading images onto the computer, I have some more keepers.

I took 15 8x10's with me tonight, sold them for $15 each. I came away with a $80 or so profit. Nights where we WIN were much better, this was my LOWEST total, and I think my BEST group of shots.... Go figure!

Anyway I will have a few more tomorrow, I have to go to work in the morning, so off to bed...
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 11, 2006
    Nice action. Two comments. One, watch your horizon. Each of these seem to
    tilt a bit. Second, not sure if it's the noise in the images but they look "foggy".
    You do say they look better full size though so it might just be compression
    and noise that create the fog.

Enjoy your new toy!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 11, 2006
    Thanks Ian for the comment, you are right about the horizon. For some reason I just can't EVER get it straight in basketball.... Must be because I am so close to the hoop and sitting on the floor. Maybe I should try a different spot??
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
    edited March 11, 2006
    Here is my favorite so far from last nights game:

59443293-M-1.jpg
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 12, 2006
    Poseidon wrote:
    Thanks Ian for the comment, you are right about the horizon. For some reason I just can't EVER get it straight in basketball.... Must be because I am so close to the hoop and sitting on the floor. Maybe I should try a different spot??

Nope. The spot is good. Try using the floor and parts of the viewfinder to
    get things level. With practice, you'll get better.

Love the expression on that last one thumb.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited March 12, 2006
    Thanks again Ian... My B-ball season is over now. :(

Maybe I can get a pass to the Detroit Pistons, I will just tell them I need more practice, and my HS team has been eliminated from the playoffs. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix