Options

Ansel and me, ginger

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited October 6, 2004 in Technique
Well, I did captilize the name of Ansel, me, just tryin'. Comments welcome. And I know where this is, paid $60.00 for an annual family membership.....and it is a piece of heaven. So I can retake any photos that are still there, I mean if the same scene is there, as I would expect this to be. So comments would be helpful.

I converted this to blk and white in channel mixer, forgot to write down my settings. (It was afternoon, but not sweet light time) Anyway, after channel mixer I went to selective colors and upped the black a bit. In chanel mixer, the ingredients, numbers, that Kelby gives in his book to get an ansel adams, they did not work for me, so I made my own, should have written them down.

If I go back to reshoot this scene, I would use a tripod with enough depth of field to get the trees in focus, too. g
9454608-L.jpg

This is the color version. I think I prefer it. I would think that green/yellow stuff is algae. I have to get more information than I got at the office.

9454612-L.jpg

I can stay at this place until dusk, that is interpreted as "before dark". Hope to get good skys, however the sun does not set where I would have hoped it would. This place is about 1/2 hr from here, that is the drawback, plus the price, I got a coupon, and rushed to use it. They are animal friendly and encourage people to bring their dogs. However, it is a great place for birds, the dogs, mine, could not run free. Don't know about that.........

I have wanted to shoot "flat" ever since I have seen photos in books that look "flat". This is kind of what I mean.

But any comments, other than the tripod, I would welcome. Even the AV setting to get the depth of field.

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2004
    Ginger,
    I can't tell what it is at all. You say algea? Looks like grass. Kind of grainy or is it a texture I'm seeing. You said trees? I can't tell. Looks like a macro shot of some asphalt with an edge of grass in the background.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2004
    I recognize the algea and background only because I've fished similar waters.

The black & white version doesn't convey either the algea or the grass to me (which isn't much of a measure I have to admit).

Better DOF would help w/ the grass but in B&W, the algea ends up looking like sand along a beach or maybe the greens around the hole on a golf course. I don't think that's what you're trying for.

Didn't Ansel shoot with one of those giant large format cameras that shows everything upside down while you're framing the shot? Are digitials really able to compete in that space?

Obviously, I've never tried that kind of shot with a digital, but I have used one of those big Ansel-like cameras (which for the life of me I can't recall the formal name of right now...d'oh). My wife rented one eons ago for an assignment in a photography course at a local college. I carried it around and got to play a wee bit but she did the real work.
  • Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2004
    ginger_55 wrote:
    And I know where this is, paid $60.00 for an annual family membership.....and it is a piece of heaven. ginger
    Mr. Nostalgia here again... Just a guess but is that Middleton Place? My church used to have a Greek festival on the grounds, and would start the day with a sunrise service at the butterfly lakes. It was just stunning. Lots of great photos there for the taking, Ginger!
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2004
    That is close to Middleton Place, it is called Magnolia Gardens. It is very casual its gardens, it has a swamp garden, also. Many acres, the family lives on the property, but it is a secret as to where.

I think, I used to know this stuff, but I think all that land was once owned by the same person. Now there are three places. Middleton Place, that is more formal, Drayton Hall, that is basically a house, the only house that is original to the property. It is said that during the civil war the rumor was spread of small pox in that house, which is why the, uh, yankees did not burn it. Then further up is Magnolia Gardens. It has bird walks, etc. I like the more relaxed area.
    I have liked it since I moved here.

When you were here, all those places may have been one for all I know.

ginger
  • Options
    edited October 5, 2004
    As to that picture and what it is, I did not intend for "what" it is to be important. I was trying to take a picture of color, shapes, etc. I did that alot that day.

But the picture I tried in bw and will try again, the subject does not matter, IMO.

The thing I was taken with in Kelby's book was the picture that Ansel Adams took, was so contrasty. I was going to call the library to see if they can dig up some books for me.

I know we can do a traditional landscape. I am just playing with this. I liked the sound of the original theme. Ansel Adams like.

And there are other photographers I really like a lot, their work is almost all two dimensional looking. An actual subject, recognizable or not, but the color and shapes really impress me.

My photography has not gone in that direction. I am trying it out.

It is off of the Ashley river, there is a marshy patch, then that other place of water. There is a lot of algae in the water, I have been out in a canoe in that water, it did not have the algae then.

Anyway, I am just playing. Comments are still appreciated, as long as I can comment, too.

The marshy patch, the grass is turning brown. That is our fall..........seasons............... time. ???? That is OK, it is not the best thing for time, but I am going to enjoy this stuff, too.

At the same time, I take pictures I like that have nothing to do with any theme. Actually the algae ones were like that, until I thought of making them black and white.

Yes, he used a huge camera, Ansel Adams did. That was what was available, and it also, I would imagine, produced better landscapes........you know more megapixals (joke, haha). He carried it around and spent hours shooting from begining to end, if I remember correctly. He was probably like Andy, kept records for future shoots, time of day, etc.

I am just vaguely remembering this stuff. I never wanted to imitate, try to imitate, or shoot like Ansel Adams.

I wanted to be like Henri Cartier Breson (I don't know how to spell his name). I wanted to be able to catch the decisive moment, not crate equipment around wildlife and scenics, for dogs sake. How ironic.

I like failed that last assignment, about the only thing I can shoot is a scenic. Of course I use sweet light and sunsets and rises to boost my shots. I would not say that was true of Ansel Adams. I think I have read that he was most interested in the effects of light.

I never have been. That algae and stuff..........well, I am just trying some different styles.

ginger

Oh, and I know that is the next assignment, but I wanted to try it out now.
    I am going to be out of town the week of the seventeenth to the 24th. And I know I can't do the landscape assignment now, I was just playing........also, it would help, the more I know going into it.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited October 5, 2004
    This is the right spot for it
    Ginger,
    This is the right thread for what you posted. This is the Photography 101 thread and you're experimenting with a type of photography. I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out what it was and was looking for trees- hehehe. Anyway, I get it now.

You can shoot landscapes too. Put them in the landscape thread. Except your changing seasons one. Your time shots are on point too. Someone said they were not. Andy said, "Time of Year", "Time for Play", Time to eat, snack time, any of those things. The time of slavery is a time period. Your title, "Time of Shame" is on point.

Just keep shooting. You have more imagination than I do. I may have to borrow some of your ideas though, you may use them all up. rolleyes1.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ThwackThwack Registered Users Posts: 487 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    Thanks for the additional info, Ginger. I understand better now what you were trying to do (and that lends hope that I might learn from it as well). :)
  • Options
    edited October 6, 2004
    snapapple wrote:
    Ginger,
    This is the right thread for what you posted. This is the Photography 101 thread and you're experimenting with a type of photography. I'm sorry, I couldn't figure out what it was and was looking for trees- hehehe. Anyway, I get it now.

You can shoot landscapes too. Put them in the landscape thread. Except your changing seasons one. Your time shots are on point too. Someone said they were not. Andy said, "Time of Year", "Time for Play", Time to eat, snack time, any of those things. The time of slavery is a time period. Your title, "Time of Shame" is on point.

Just keep shooting. You have more imagination than I do. I may have to borrow some of your ideas though, you may use them all up. rolleyes1.gif

Snappy, et al, I still say the biggest part about photography is showing up, and bringing a camera helps.

rolleyes1.gif ginger

Except the last challenge. I couldn't get that for anything. I guess I could remind myself that the Rebel was being fixed for half of it, then I go shoot and mess up the settings.

I took photos of my therapist, like about 30, everything set right, but I didn't want to use flash, not one picture is not blurred in her face. If I held still, she didn't. (I hope she is not really wanting those photos, lol) I was going to use one, she was laughing, really neat. I was............here you go Snappy, I was going to use the title Time To Laugh.

g again