I got my baby!!!

AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited March 10, 2006 in Cameras
My new Nikon D50 arrived today (at 6:50, waiting for a camera sucks)! So far i'm loving it, feels great looks awsome but the battery has yet to charge :wxwax. I'm ready to get shooting with my first DSLR (and then buy some more glass :wink).

And no, this thread isn't totally pointless. I do have a question. When I finally do get to start shooting what should I do in the way of test shots to make sure everything is in working order? How about storage? Store with the lens attached or off the body and caps on? and is getting a UV filter to protect the lens a good idea?

Thanks for your imput eveyone, I hope to be able to post some shots soon!

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    My new Nikon D50 arrived today (at 6:50, waiting for a camera sucks)! So far i'm loving it, feels great looks awsome but the battery has yet to charge umph.gif. I'm ready to get shooting with my first DSLR (and then buy some more glass mwink.gif).

And no, this thread isn't totally pointless. I do have a question. When I finally do get to start shooting what should I do in the way of test shots to make sure everything is in working order? How about storage? Store with the lens attached or off the body and caps on? and is getting a UV filter to protect the lens a good idea?

1) don't become a test shot weenie. no newspapers, resolution targets or brick walls. just go out and shoot!

2) leave the lens on. the more you open up the camera, the more chance there is for dust to get in.

3) yay for new nikon dslr's thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    First thing I would do is take it back, haven't you heard it has a defect....it's not a Canon!rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Just kidding, couldn't resist. Shooting is the important thing.

I leave my lens on the cameras as much as possible too, as well as UV filters, they're cheaper. Go shoot, then shoot some more. Try every feature, it's free!

Welcome to the DSLR world! clap.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Congratulations on the new camera! This Nikon thing is starting to become a trend around here.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Congrats! clap.gif

As doc said, don't worry about test shots. Just get out there and start shooting!
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    While the battery is charging, take a look through the manual and familiarize
    yourself with the controls. Once it's done, slap the glass on and get yourself
    outside and start shooting!

Take a look at the results. If you find things aren't exactly what you'd
    expect, get back outside and shoot some more.

There are some great tutorials on the site too.

Most importantly, enjoy your new camera!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Thanks for the replies guys! One other thing i noticed.... that new camera smell!!! Life doesn't get any better clap.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited March 9, 2006
    I humbly disagree regarding test shots. I test every new (or new to me) lens on "my" camera body to insure there is no front or back focus problem. The tolerances involved are just amazingly tiny, and it's better to know beforehand.

I agree about not changing your lens too often and I am careful about the environment when I do change the lens. Never change out a lens in a dusty environment unless you enjoy dust on the image-plane.

I tend to use some simple filter, UV or skylight, on the more expensive lenses I own. I believe it just makes sense and offers cheap protection against some types of accidental damage. I can and do remove the filter for critical work, as required.

Nikon makes wonderful cameras. Nikon does not make any kind of photograph, you do.

Best,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    Thanks for the replies guys! One other thing i noticed.... that new camera smell!!! Life doesn't get any better clap.gif

Ah, yes. That new camera smell can't be beat...

Enjoy shooting!

--Aaron

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Congratulations on the new camera! This Nikon thing is starting to become a trend around here.

:cry :cry Sad isn't it. Our honored senior canon shooters get to busy to spend much time on the forum and all of the sudden the world is starting to turn to the evil side.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • neilzhangneilzhang Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited March 10, 2006
    Aloner wrote:
    My new Nikon D50 arrived today (at 6:50, waiting for a camera sucks)! So far i'm loving it, feels great looks awsome but the battery has yet to charge umph.gif. I'm ready to get shooting with my first DSLR (and then buy some more glass mwink.gif).

Welcome to DSLR world!clap.gifclap.gifrolleyes1.gif
    which lens you use?
    I have D50+aF28-105D