EXIF data

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited March 11, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I use the Firefox extension FXIF. I have noticed that only the original file contains EXIF...the S M L do not. Of course if I click the "exif" link I get the data. Why don't the other sizes also carry the data? If I or someone downloads the other sizes, the keywords and other data do not stay with the files, only the original sizes.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    I use the Firefox extension FXIF. I have noticed that only the original file contains EXIF...the S M L do not. Of course if I click the "exif" link I get the data. Why don't the other sizes also carry the data? If I or someone downloads the other sizes, the keywords and other data do not stay with the files, only the original sizes.

Hi cmason,

Your exif is intact, but as you noted, it's only in your original files. Your keywords, caption, and any other metadata is also still in your original file. -L, -M, -S, -Th, and -Ti files, are stripped of all extra date, only the image. No keywords or exif, etc - this is in order to deliver the fastest possible page delivery.

I hope this helps.
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    Preserve a few copyright fields on all sizes?
    Andy wrote:
    Hi cmason,

Your exif is intact, but as you noted, it's only in your original files. Your keywords, caption, and any other metadata is also still in your original file. -L, -M, -S, -Th, and -Ti files, are stripped of all extra date, only the image. No keywords or exif, etc - this is in order to deliver the fastest possible page delivery.

I hope this helps.

I understand the argument for not leaving all EXIF on the image in the smaller sizes.

But, a while ago, it was requested that certain copyright IPTC fields be preserved in all sizes (except perhaps the thumbs) in order to keep the owner information on all copies of the image. Was that ever given serious consideration? It sounds like a smart thing to do and I doubt that it would cost much of a disk or bandwidth hit to preserve only a few IPTC fields. Most images wouldn't even have that info, so it would only be the pros who really care about this stuff who's images would get slightly bigger? It seems like the "right thing to do".
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2006
    jfriend wrote:
    I understand the argument for not leaving all EXIF on the image in the smaller sizes.

But, a while ago, it was requested that certain copyright IPTC fields be preserved in all sizes (except perhaps the thumbs) in order to keep the owner information on all copies of the image. Was that ever given serious consideration? It sounds like a smart thing to do and I doubt that it would cost much of a disk or bandwidth hit to preserve only a few IPTC fields. Most images wouldn't even have that info, so it would only be the pros who really care about this stuff who's images would get slightly bigger? It seems like the "right thing to do".

Thanks John. I don't recall that specific request - if you can link it, I'd love to see it.
    edited March 10, 2006
    Here's the previous thread
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks John. I don't recall that specific request - if you can link it, I'd love to see it.

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=137523#post137523
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • renstarrenstar Registered Users Posts: 167 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Im going to second the IPTC copyright stuff (at minimum) because of this:
    http://www.asmp.org/news/spec2006/orphan_faxcall.php

-Russ
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Well, I was just asking from a completely practical standpoint, but that is a bit worrying Renstar.

I understand why the EXIF is stripped, but I can't imagine that a few lines of text contribute dramatically to file size, but I have been surprised before...
    edited March 11, 2006
    Another reason
    renstar wrote:
    Im going to second the IPTC copyright stuff (at minimum) because of this:
    http://www.asmp.org/news/spec2006/orphan_faxcall.php

-Russ

Yep, another great reason to have this!
    --John
    HomepagePopular