Auto Show photos...

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited March 10, 2006 in Holy Macro
god if i know which thread this goes in.:D but anyways, heres just a few of my favorites from teh Auto show in Kansas City tonight... i mainly focused on the Camaro, and an old woody they had down there.

2 of my fav's from the camaro, and 1 of the woody*my fav. of the night*

59271545-L.jpg

59271546-L.jpg

59271548-L.jpg

how'd i do? good, bad, horrible, amazing? things i can improve on:dunno i can always re-shoot, its here till sunday.:thumb

thanks,
Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    I really like the first one. The second one is kinda "eh". The third one is good, but it looks blurry to me. Good job though. I know it's hard with all those "beginners" with their little point and shoots in your way. :Dlol3.gif
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Hey Dan! Lucky you -- I missed shooting (and working!) the Toronto Autoshow a few weeks ago 'cause of Valentine's Day.
    I like the first one a lot; with a bit of post to give it some "punch," you've got a winner! As for the second, it looks to me like you need to check the wb? As well, the crop might be a bit tight.
    The third one hurts my eyes a bit, I don't know what to concentrate on -- or even if it's possible to concentrate on part of it. I'm pretty sure it's a hood ornament, so I'd go back and reshoot it dead on, looking slightly up to it, to give it false scale and a referenceable background (as opposed to the mess of reflection and highlights.)

Good job man :)
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Daniel,

Nice shots. Like the first two. What's cool about them is the reflection of the flag in the windshields. Maybe try to boost it a bit in your processing? And the flag reflection makes sense being that the car is the Camaro prototype - the "return of the american musclecar"??

The third shot has some abstract qualities too.

Car shows are impossible to do nice - keeping people out of your shots and the mixed lighting etc. Good stuff. thumb.gif
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Nice shots but they look littel OOF headscratch.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • bwgbwg Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,119 SmugMug Employee
    edited March 10, 2006
    i agree with awais. they all look a little OOF.

and i'm apologizing in advance for this hijak, but it has to be done:

59282846-M.jpg
    Pedal faster
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    bigwebguy wrote:
    i agree with awais. they all look a little OOF.

and i'm apologizing in advance for this hijak, but it has to be done:

59282846-M.jpg

C'mon, that's one of the car's features - it's not a problem with panel gaps and alignment, it's a method of secondary air intake for the high-output pushrod engine!!! :bash

You just don't understand GM's technological advancements . . . . :):
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Hey Daniel,

I like the first one the best... you should definitely experiment on the 2nd to try and get the hot light spots out of there. The definitely looks OOF.

When I took my shots at the LA auto show, I found it helpful to actually underexpose the cars a bit, and then brighten in post. I also shot RAW (which I usually don't).
    Chris
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 10, 2006
    Daniel,

I agree with everybody that the first is a keeper. I think I would tone down the glint in the windshield just a bit, but that's about it. It has interesting lines and features that hold my attention.

#2 Just doesn't have the same appeal.

#3 Appears to show some motion blur and the suject is way too lost in the reflected lights. I know what you were looking for, but you have to find a better way to show it.

Car shows are tough. You have little control over the ambient lights. You have little control about your position with respect to the subject sometimes. Lotsa shiny reflective stuff and wide range of harsh lights to boot. If you can have a helper with a slave flash on one side or the other, that can help, especially bounced.

Think about interesting angles and perspectives. I wish I had some good examples to show, but I mostly failed at our local shows and quit doing them. That was before digital, so I might try again sometime. You give me hope.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    thanks everyone.thumb.gif i was at the camero exibit for like 30 solid minutes shooting photos because it was on a turntable and i had to wait for it to come back around to the front and back everytime i wanted to take another photo. lol3.gif the "flag" in the windshield is just the way they had the display lights for it in bars... focusing was hard... very dark in that place... oh, but most of these were shot with my 70-200... i know, crazyeek7.gif. BUT i found that people give you a TON more working room when you're using a big white lens, as compared to a little 50 1.8. i did see a couple fellow photogs there, and got to tinker with some of their stuff :D lets just say the next thing on my list is a 17-40...

almost all shots were at ISO 400, f/4, 1/125th...rolleyes1.gif AWB, available light.

thanks again,
    Daniel

pssst... i always wanted to take a photo of the Jag. emblem:D

59271549-M.jpg
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com