First light Bigma

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited March 16, 2006 in Holy Macro
Technically not first light, but it DOES look like a telescope at 500mm and it is the first time I took shots with it. This is what I came up with (full frame):

59352737-L.jpg

Approx 50% crop:

59353293-L.jpg

Not the best moon shot I've ever seen, but certainly the best I have ever done. I'm diggin' this so far...:thumb

20D - Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm (800mm equiv) - f/14 - 1/50th - ISO 100

Comments

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Nice going, looks pretty good to meclap.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2006
    Nice exposure, looks good.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited March 10, 2006
    DJ,

Very nice. The moon is tougher to shoot than might seem, at first.

Thanks for sharing the exposure information as well.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Thanks guys, I've been pining for more reach and thanks to Scott I got a good deal on the Sigma. Makes all the difference for moon shots. I know I can do better with more practice. :D

I just read that the next full moon (next Tuesday I think) will feature a "full penumbral" eclipse. This type of eclipse just dims the moon a bit instead of what you normally expect an eclipse to look like. In North America it will already be dimmed as it rises, so maybe there will be some cool color effects from it?
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    thumb.gif wow that was close
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Nice ONE
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Technically not first light, but it DOES look like a telescope at 500mm and it is the first time I took shots with it. This is what I came up with (full frame):
    Approx 50% crop:
    Not the best moon shot I've ever seen, but certainly the best I have ever done. I'm diggin' this so far...thumb.gif
    20D - Sigma 50-500mm @ 500mm (800mm equiv) - f/14 - 1/50th - ISO 100

Wow I'd be happy with that shot too clap.gif well done !
    Did you hand hold? or use a tripod ??? Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
    edited March 13, 2006
    Oh no, that was a tripod shot. 500mm is pretty twitchy! :D

Thanks for the comments thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 13, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    Thanks guys, I've been pining for more reach and thanks to Scott I got a good deal on the Sigma. Makes all the difference for moon shots. I know I can do better with more practice. :D

I just read that the next full moon (next Tuesday I think) will feature a "full penumbral" eclipse. This type of eclipse just dims the moon a bit instead of what you normally expect an eclipse to look like. In North America it will already be dimmed as it rises, so maybe there will be some cool color effects from it?
    Good info, thanks DJ!

looks like yer diggin' your new glass thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    wow! Would love to see your next set of shots. thumb.gif
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    DJ-S1 wrote:

Dave,

I'm glad you're loving the lens.

Like you, the moon was one of the first things I took a shot of with that lens. That's when I figured out that getting a decent shot of the moon was/is a lot harder than one might think. If I remember correctly, the best shot I got of it was at 1/250 and f7 (or something like that - I do know that the shutter speed was a lot faster than one would have thought). I took a lot of them, looking at the histogram and increasing the shutter speed for each one.

Be careful. Between what I did and this, the lens might start developing a complexrolleyes1.gifGive it some birds or something!!:):
  • Bob&GlennieBob&Glennie Registered Users Posts: 320 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Wow, that is "far out, man" so you like that lens? Sigma is making it in the new Olympus mount for the 4/3 aspect ratio but I can't get one in Canada :cry :cry On the Oly sensor it pushes to 1000mm !!! I want one so bad.

Bob
    See with your Heart
    edited March 16, 2006
    Dave,

I'm glad you're loving the lens.

Give it some birds or something!!:):

Birds are afraid of me. Apparently, anyway! Actually, it's been cold and cloudy here for way too long; one of these days I'll get out there and try some bird stuff.
    edited March 16, 2006
    Wow, that is "far out, man" so you like that lens? Sigma is making it in the new Olympus mount for the 4/3 aspect ratio but I can't get one in Canada :cry :cry On the Oly sensor it pushes to 1000mm !!! I want one so bad.

Bob

I can't really have an opinion on it yet, but everything I've read is that it's a great value lens. Not perfect, but loads of value.