Options

My first post...

WolfWolf Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited January 31, 2004 in Technique
Well, here goes my first posting attempt. I hope this shot comes across well, it looks ok on my end... I shot it in my hometown of Orlando, Florida. Its a Tri-colored Heron wading in a shallow pond. Please don't chew me up toooo badly, but let me know what y'all think!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2004
    Welcome to the site, Wolf. clap.gif I think it's a lovely shot. It may just be my lousy eyes, but is the bird slightly soft? Some of the tree is sharp, is it just behind the bird?

Hey, make sure you fill out your profile so we know what gear you're shooting with. Be nice to to know where in FL too (other members are there too.) nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    Welcome to the site, Wolf. clap.gif I think it's a lovely shot. It may just be my lousy eyes, but is the bird slightly soft? Some of the tree is sharp, is it just behind the bird?

Hey, make sure you fill out your profile so we know what gear you're shooting with. Be nice to to know where in FL too (other members are there too.) nod.gif
    Thanks, I will make sure to update the profile, I am in Central Florida, you know, where the Mouse House is!! I am a native, woo hoo!! So, I tend to shoot photos of everything except the Rat. Anyway, I am not sure if the bird appears soft due to my reduction in size, or focusing. The original file is much larger so I am learning how to resize in order to upload. Any hints...
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    Well, here goes my first posting attempt. I hope this shot comes across well, it looks ok on my end... I shot it in my hometown of Orlando, Florida. Its a Tri-colored Heron wading in a shallow pond. Please don't chew me up toooo badly, but let me know what y'all think!

Thanks!!
    Very nice, I like the composition and the narrow depth of field you used here.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited January 29, 2004
    It's a keeper for sure.
  • Options
    tsiyatsiya Registered Users Posts: 92 Big grins
    edited January 29, 2004
    For some reason
    All My Tri color Heron shots come out looking soft too. Something about the subtle pastel colors and fine feather texture, maybe? I would be proud of that one. Tsiya
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    I think it's a very nice shot. The bird is beautiful. The only thing that nothers me is the large area of out of focus tree in the bottom right corner. I think it is a bit distracting. Perhaps a tighter crop?
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2004
    Yes, I like your suggestion, the reason that I left it the original way is because I felt it gave a nice frame to the subject. Thanks!
  • Options
    jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    Wolf wrote:
    The original file is much larger so I am learning how to resize in order to upload. Any hints...

I gave up trying to resize for upload since the file size limitations are so tight. Instead, I put the images up on my website and just link to them.

HTH.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com