Ch 60 - Potent

asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
edited March 12, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
Any thoughts on this?

59478057-L.jpg

I'm learning photoshop and got this after messing around with a L curve. I love strong contrast. :D

The first version I cleaned up is below (clickable for large), for reference, since it's not been cropped or messed around with too much.

59473493-M.jpg

Thanks for any suggestions/comments you might have!

way late edit (since this doesn't need bumping): I got a lot out of the feedback (THANKS!) but ended up being away when I intended to enter it, so I never got it in the contest. :doh

Comments

• Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    Hi Andrew! Here's my take on it...

I think you're headed in a good direction...the contrast creates a bit of an "edginess" to your photo. The photo works fairly well as it is. The only thing I'm not sure about the composition...but I'm also not sure what you could do to make it better.

You could try cropping it to a vertical composition for comparison. The diagonal angle created by the edge of the box and the unexpected curve in the box edge that breaks up the straight line are rather interesting. I also like the contrasting color of the purple onions, and a vertical crop (removing the excess from the right side of the pic) would include both of these.

You could also try cropping it to have only the garlic bulbs in the pic (get rid of the box and onions altogether) and that could be interesting as well. Not sure if either suggestion would make for improvement or not. Might be worth trying just to see how either option might work...but all in all, ya done good! I love the strong shapes of the garlic bulbs and the higher contrast really brings that out.

Cheers!
    ~Nee :)
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Hurts my eyes
    I like the concept of the bunch of garlic, but I think a softer lighting might work better for you. Then when you bump the contrast you won't blow out any highlights (or appear to).

Maybe you can play some more -- using different lighting, or later or earlier in the day -- or in the dark and "paint with light" using a long exposure, tripod and a flashlight?

Or peel one, and leave the others unpeeled?

But I like the concept a lot.:):
  • BassAnglerBassAngler Registered Users Posts: 104 Big grins
    edited March 12, 2006