*** challenge rules reminder ***

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited February 15, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
photos entered in the dgrin challenges must be fresh, taken during the challenge period. it's all laid out in the dgrin challenge rules, and they are right here

for challenge 22, i had to disqualify etbliss' entry and ish's entry. i'm sorry guys, they are wonderful shots but they were not taken during the challenge time perioed.

the reason for this rule, is so that people use the challenge as motivation to go out and shoot something new, a new scene, a new type of photograph, use a new technique, etc, and to learn. :deal

Comments

• ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    Hey Andy and everyone, I apoligize about submitting an older photo. I had read the rules but I guess the absent minded part of me overlooked this rule. :cry

I will try come back in the next one with photo taken DURING the competition!!!!

Again, I did not mean to "cheat" or anything, so my sincerest apoligies to the other contestants. For what it's worth, the photo was taken this summer. rolleyes1.gif

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    nobody thinks you cheated!
    ish wrote:
    Hey Andy and everyone, I apoligize about submitting an older photo. I had read the rules but I guess the absent minded part of me overlooked this rule. :cry

I will try come back in the next one with photo taken DURING the competition!!!!

Again, I did not mean to "cheat" or anything, so my sincerest apoligies to the other contestants. For what it's worth, the photo was taken this summer. rolleyes1.gif

and, it's a helluva photo :D looking fwd to your next entry.
  • gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 6, 2004
    Its so easy to miss, but still a great shot, keep them coming thumb.gif
  • GThangGThang Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited October 7, 2004
    Hey I didn't read the rules right either
    Andy please disqualify me also I did not read the rules completely. Just scanned over them. My photo was not taken durning the time period. I was so excited about entering. I will be back with some fresh stuff soon.

Dan "GThang" Gallegos

andy wrote:
    photos entered in the dgrin challenges must be fresh, taken during the challenge period. it's all laid out in the dgrin challenge rules, and they are right here

for challenge 22, i had to disqualify etbliss' entry and ish's entry. i'm sorry guys, they are wonderful shots but they were not taken during the challenge time perioed.

the reason for this rule, is so that people use the challenge as motivation to go out and shoot something new, a new scene, a new type of photograph, use a new technique, etc, and to learn. deal.gif
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    Oh boy, oh boy, the dgrin jail's gonna be full tonight!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited October 23, 2004
    to mike - re size of photos
    that's mostly a convenience thing- there are still dialuppers out there..

anyhow, reduce your pano to 800px wide for display in the thread, and provide a link to a larger version (but not the original size!). panos get an extra look becuase it's hard to appreciate them at the 800px size.

hope this helps.

oh: love the helicopter shot!
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited October 23, 2004
    andy wrote:
    that's mostly a convenience thing- there are still dialuppers out there..

anyhow, reduce your pano to 800px wide for display in the thread, and provide a link to a larger version (but not the original size!). panos get an extra look becuase it's hard to appreciate them at the 800px size.

hope this helps.

oh: love the helicopter shot!
    Andy;

All the panoramas have less pixels and therefore smaller size:

800x800 -- 640000 pixels
    1000x600 - 600000 pixels
    1200x400 - 480000 pixels
    1400x200 - 280000 pixels (getting extreme for viewing at this point)

Since you do not need to worry about the dialups, you might want to reconsider your policy on this.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
    edited October 23, 2004
    cmr164 wrote:
    Andy;

All the panoramas have less pixels and therefore smaller size:

800x800 -- 640000 pixels
    1000x600 - 600000 pixels
    1200x400 - 480000 pixels
    1400x200 - 280000 pixels (getting extreme for viewing at this point)

Since you do not need to worry about the dialups, you might want to reconsider your policy on this.

chas - the reason really is for easy of viewing. the linked pics should be not larger than 800px wide - that allows for viewing in the thread without scrolling. there can be a clickable link to a larger size, that's always appreciated :D
    edited December 14, 2004
    lots of new entrants in the challenges. all - please read the rules, thank you very very much.
    edited December 20, 2004
    people, please ADD THE DATE TO YOUR ENTRY

thank you.
  • Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2005
    How about a break for us Left Coast folks...
    Hi Andy,

I haven't entered one of the challenges yet because I'm having a hard time getting my photos in by the 9am (12 noon your time) Monday morning (West Coast) deadline, especially when I have just shot the photo over the weekend. (I know...last minute, but my brain doesn't work that quickly...it takes me over a week just to think of something to shoot, Laughing.gif!)

Take this weekend for example...we just got back from an out of town trip Sunday night, and I had actually taken some photos for the challenge but was feeling tired and under the weather after the trip...so I wasn't able to get them processed between Sunday night when we got home and Monday at 9am.

Anyhow, I would really love to see the challeges end at midnight on Monday rather than noon. I could actually make a deadline like that, Laughing.gif! rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    ~Nee :
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
    edited February 8, 2005
    nee, we have entrants from all over the globe, all time zones :D. thanks for asking, but i'm going to leave the closing time as it stands....
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Hi Andy,

I haven't entered one of the challenges yet because I'm having a hard time getting my photos in by the 9am (12 noon your time) Monday morning (West Coast) deadline, especially when I have just shot the photo over the weekend. (I know...last minute, but my brain doesn't work that quickly...it takes me over a week just to think of something to shoot, Laughing.gif!)

Take this weekend for example...we just got back from an out of town trip Sunday night, and I had actually taken some photos for the challenge but was feeling tired and under the weather after the trip...so I wasn't able to get them processed between Sunday night when we got home and Monday at 9am.

Anyhow, I would really love to see the challeges end at midnight on Monday rather than noon. I could actually make a deadline like that, Laughing.gif! rolleyes1.gif

Cheers,
    ~Nee :
    edited February 9, 2005
    Well, it couldn't hurt to ask, I s'pose...
    andy wrote:
    nee, we have entrants from all over the globe, all time zones :D. thanks for asking, but i'm going to leave the closing time as it stands....

Chances are I won't be able to participate too much with the current time constraints... ne_nau.gif
    ...but at least I can participate in the voting rolleyes1.gif ~
    C'est la vie...
    ~Nee

edited February 9, 2005
    Nee7x7 wrote:
    Chances are I won't be able to participate too much with the current time constraints... ne_nau.gif
    ...but at least I can participate in the voting rolleyes1.gif ~
    C'est la vie...
    ~Nee

but nee, i don't understand.. the current format allows for two full weekends to shoot, fourteen days total. surely you must be able to shoot and process in that amount of time? and, the topics are publicized well in advance of the start of the challenge, to boot. headscratch.gif
    edited February 9, 2005
    A woman's work is never done...
    andy wrote:
    but nee, i don't understand.. the current format allows for two full weekends to shoot, fourteen days total. surely you must be able to shoot and process in that amount of time? and, the topics are publicized well in advance of the start of the challenge, to boot. headscratch.gif

Well...it's not that easy, at least for me...mainly because I have a whole lot of other things going on in my life, Laughing.gif! I manage a photo related website for other photogs on Community Zero, take care of my 4 year old grandson most weekends (sometimes during the week, too), work part-time for my husband's business, cook and clean house, do laundry, wash dishes, buy groceries and sometimes I actually get out to take photos mwink.gif

And I'm getting kinda old, so I don't do all those things as fast as I used to when I was younger... rolleyes1.gif

Honestly...It seems like I usually don't get a halfway good idea of something to shoot for the challenge until the last day...my brain cells seem to be working in slow motion these days. :confused It's part of getting old, I s'pose...

Besides, I'm not really a morning person, so at 9am, my eyes are usually still a little fuzzy! eek7.gif (I'm working on this one, however!)

I did see that you're posting the next three upcoming challenge themes ahead of time, so maybe I can start to plan for the next one now... :gone

Cheers (with a little tongue in cheekiness) ~Nee :smooch

ps. I just recently joined dgrin, so I've only been around for 3 of the challenges (the one I just missed entering was the 3rd one)...so I missed seeing the challenge topic previews before now!

• larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2005
    I didn't read before I posted *%#*#!!!!
    Andy,
    Will you pull my photo please. Dufass that I can be, I simply didn't read ALL of the instructions. The shot was taken while I was in Yosemite a couple of weeks ago(last week of January) so it won't meet qualifications for this challenge, sorry...no cheating intended.....I'm embarassed. :uhoh
    I'll have better luck next time.
    Den
    den.smugmug.com