Options

A couple of questions

photonphoton Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
edited March 12, 2006 in Dgrin Forum Support
I really love Dgrin... It's the best photography forum site I've seen yet.

There are a couple of nigglies that are annoying me enough to ask about, though:

1) Is there a way to sort the threads by the original post date, rather than the last post date? Often when viewing the threads I like to view the pictures, give my comments and move on... For me, I'm not typically interested in _all_ the comments from other members -- I'm most interested in the new pics! In the default sort, I may miss cool new shots because they're buried in very busy threads. I may want to change between the views, just in case the hot threads are of interest as well.

2) However, if I do read the entire long thread (like the photo contests), I typically read in threaded mode so for long threads there tend to be a lot of 'More messages below the current depth' indicators. It seems like these have to be opened one at a time. It's a real pain -- the longer the read, the more painful it is. Is there a way to open all of them at once, or change the default depth to be 'deeper'? Should I just be reading in a different mode?

Please let me know if I'm just a dunderhead and didn't RTFM.

Thanks.
photon

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    photon wrote:
    I really love Dgrin... It's the best photography forum site I've seen yet.

There are a couple of nigglies that are annoying me enough to ask about, though:

1) Is there a way to sort the threads by the original post date, rather than the last post date?

No, there's not, at least not that I'm aware of :D I'm sorry.

photon wrote:
    2) However, if I do read the entire long thread (like the photo contests), I typically read in threaded mode so for long threads there tend to be a lot of 'More messages below the current depth' indicators. It seems like these have to be opened one at a time. It's a real pain -- the longer the read, the more painful it is. Is there a way to open all of them at once, or change the default depth to be 'deeper'? Should I just be reading in a different mode?

Within a thread, upper right, under the page count nav, look for "Display Modes" and change that to "linear mode."
  • Options
    edited March 11, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    No, there's not, at least not that I'm aware of :D I'm sorry.

OK -- thanks anyway.
    Andy wrote:
    Within a thread, upper right, under the page count nav, look for "Display Modes" and change that to "linear mode."
    That works pretty well -- thanks. And thanks also for the speedy reply -- you guys do a bang-up job at Dgrin. Do you sleep much? :D
    photon
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 11, 2006
    photon wrote:
    Do you sleep much? :D

I can't hear you, I'm sleeping ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzz

lol3.gif
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    photon wrote:
    1) Is there a way to sort the threads by the original post date, rather than the last post date?

Try the advanced search feature, there is an option to sort by thread start date. I don't know how well it works, but it is there.
  • Options
    edited March 12, 2006
    patch29 wrote:
    Try the advanced search feature, there is an option to sort by thread start date. I don't know how well it works, but it is there.
    I hadn't seen that -- thanks. Unfortunately, the server won't let me specify an open (or trivial) query (probably wise), so I have to know what I'm searching for. I'll use it on the queries I do, though.

Thanks again.
    photon