Adobe Photo Downloader

JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
edited March 12, 2006 in Finishing School
Anyone know how to get rid of this program? Deleting it from the Add/Remove Programs part of Control Panel was ineffective.

Comments

• digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Don't know how to actually uninstall it and remove the code from your hard drive, but you can basically turn it off in Elements under Edit->Preferences->Camera Card Reader. You should also disable the service that automatically scans for possible graphic files.

Take a look here and it should help you out.

Regards,
    Brad
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I'm using CS2, not Elements, therefore I have no "Camera Card Reader" tab to click on under preferences. The help file is totally uninformative, also. Any other idears?
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    JC,

It is indeed from some version of Elements. I have this on my machine now since installing Elements for the wife (I also use CS2). If you Google Adobe Photo Downloader you we see that it is was a usability feature added to Elements to help the novice user. Some people like it, some people think it's lame, and I just leave it alone to keep harmony in the family ... :D

Search for PhotoshopElementsDeviceConnect.exe (that's what's on my machine from PSE 3) or APDproxy.exe. This is the program that you are trying to remove.

Brad
  • JCDossJCDoss Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    I located and deleted Adobe Photoalbum or something like that in my Add/Remove Program list, and that seems to have taken the Photo Downloader with it.

I've never installed Elements on this PC, but it might have snuck in while CS2 was updating. I hate it when software companies think for you.

Thanks for all your help, guys!
  • JamokeJamoke Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Dangerous but effective
    Start --> Run --> "MSCONFIG"

Run the MSCONFIG utility. here there is a Startup tab. I've told a million people about this. Under this tab you should be able to find the utility and tell your windows (Macs Rule) computer not to offer the program at startup. If it isn't listed here - Check One tab over, under Services. Here are listed all of the programs that offer any support to any action in Windows XP/98/95. Just turn off the ones you don't want - but be careful not to turn off the ones you need.

(Not liable for any damage caused to computer by user turning off services and forgetting which ones he turned off) Just remember/write down the ones you disable, and turn them back on if something isn't working right. But you should be able to identify which ones are adobe, and selectively turn those off.
    Mine: Canon 20D, 50 f1.8 II, 28-105 II, 70-200 f2.8L, T 70-300 Macro, T 2X expander, 12-24 Sigma
    Hers: Sony SR10, (Soon Canon 5D MKII), 85 f1.8, 28-135 USM, Stroboframe, Manfrotto NeoTec
    Ours: Pair of 580 EX, Lensbaby, Studio Alien Bees, Son & TWO Daughters