Canon 20d purchase

Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
edited March 14, 2006 in Cameras
Well thanks to Mr. Tax man and the DW I can finally upgrade from the 300d to the 20d. Since the used prices seem to be hovering around $900-$950 would it be better to just spend the $1100 or so that B&H wants to have the security of the warranty? How often does the 20d actually fail within the warranty anyways? I emailed canon and they said the factory remaining warranty is NOT transferable.

Will the price of the 20d continue to drop as the 30d release date approaches?

Thanks for any info,

Eric
"My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com

Comments

• juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Eric&Susan wrote:

Will the price of the 20d continue to drop as the 30d release date approaches?

Thanks for any info,

Eric

I can't answer the question, but I will say that I pulled the trigger on a 20D. It arrives tomorrow! I used the magic "psjan06" code at B&H and got it for $1019.95. I got the 24-105 lens to go with it. You can also get a good price on the 70-200mm 2.8 L IS lens for $1599.95.

I was all set to wait for the 30D, but with the extra cost and uncertain delivery time I decided on the 20D. Basically, I just couldn't wait any longer.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    I can tell you that my 20D badly needed the warranty a few months ago, and I used it. Don't remember what for, no, it was the flash and a couple of other problems. The onboard flash was totally unusable. I could have lived with that, but could not have resold it, ever, for anything much.

Also used the warranty with my Rebel, so that is two for two. I got the 20D when the REbel was a yr old, now the 20D is out of warranty, will see if it costs me much soon. I really couldn't afford it, but yes, it was worth it for me.

And if you can get a cheap price (I bought mine a yr ago, I paid more than you would new, new)..............well, I would go with new, or whatever........see what others say.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Used is always a chance....like buying a used car. I prefer new. Then if it breaks you have the warranty, and the peace of mind knowing it wasn't because you bought used equipment. I know if I bought used, then had a problem, I'd be mad at myself for a long timeumph.gif !

I've had my 20D for almost a year, which doesn't sound like very long, until you factor in I shoot at least 1,000 pics a week during race season....adds up quick. On the outside, you'd never know it. Thankfully I've had no problems with my 20D at all, love it.
    iloveyou.gif
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    I used the magic "psjan06" code at B&H and got it for $1019.95. I got the 24-105 lens to go with it.

This sounds like a good deal for some peace of mind. I'd go with this unless you really know and trust the person you are buying from.
  • 3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Go for the warranty my friend... always better safe than sorry... thumb.gif
  • Eric&SusanEric&Susan Registered Users Posts: 1,280 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Thnaks for all the helpthumb.gif I decided to get a new one from b&h. Already have it in the cart with a new bag and 3 day shipping. Just waiting until the tax man makes the deposit in my account before I hit the buy buttonclap.gif

Eric
    "My dad taught me everything I know, unfortunately he didn't teach me everything he knows" Dale Earnhardt Jr

It's better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you're not.

http://photosbyeric.smugmug.com