My intro and looking for opinion(s)

Tom McBrideTom McBride Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited March 15, 2006 in Cameras
Hi ALL!
I am new to THIS forum. I am a Smug Mug user. Signed up so I could post some picts on another non photograph related forum and have since signed most of my family up to SmugMug cause it's such a cool site! Yes they used the coupon code:thumb

There was a post here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120351 that really got me interesed in this camera the Nikon D70 with the Nikkor 18-70mm lense. (Because that is what he used)
Am I naive in thinking that I too can take photos like these within a normal amount of time with this camera?
Is this a good "entry level" camera?
I saw one on ebay just sell tonight for $695.00 same body and lense....is this a reasonable price?

I was hoping for some opinions/comments/concerns for the use of this camera for a beginner who is active in motorcycling and hiking/outdoors.

This looks like a GREAT forum and look forward to active participation and hope soon to be posting some of my own picts!~

Thanks in advance,

Tom McBride
Long Beach, Ca.

Comments

• KA0TVOKA0TVO Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Hi Tom,
    Welcome to D.Grins clap.gifclap.gif

I can't help you much with the D70. However, I really looked at it before getting the 20D. I still have my trusty Nikon FTN and a lot of glass to go with it. However, the digital age is here.
    You will find this forum very friendly and helpful. I'm, sure someone can help you out.
    Again welcome to D Grins and post a few pic's thumb.gif
    Bob
  • Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited March 12, 2006
    Welcome!
    With good technique and post processing skills, you can use just about any camera. You could certainly use the D70 to get just about any kind of photo you can dream up. It is a great beginners camera and it can take you well into advaced territory too. Most people would never outgrow it.

The most important aspect aspect however to being able to get photos like those posted is skill and imagination. No camera in the world can substitute for that :-)
    Am I naive in thinking that I too can take photos like these within a normal amount of time with this camera?
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 12, 2006
    Tom
    regardless which canon, um er camera you buy, please look at sid's excellent thread at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=374
    in this same forum-
    you might spend a little more money, but save a whole lot of headache and heartache-
    hope you like it here; lot of people willing to help-
    george

ps having said all that and looked on ebay and at google/froogle, I always end up buying at bh photo-

pss but sometimes you can catch a good buy at ebay-
  • Tom McBrideTom McBride Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 13, 2006
    Thanks BOB!
    Yeah this forum looks REALLY helpful and I look forward to posting soon, Once I figure which camera I should get.
    Thanks for the warm welcome!
    Tom
    KA0TVO wrote:
    Hi Tom,
    Welcome to D.Grins clap.gifclap.gif

I can't help you much with the D70. However, I really looked at it before getting the 20D. I still have my trusty Nikon FTN and a lot of glass to go with it. However, the digital age is here.
    You will find this forum very friendly and helpful. I'm, sure someone can help you out.
    Again welcome to D Grins and post a few pic's thumb.gif
    edited March 13, 2006
    I DO agree with you Shay, I need to learn the "technique" but that will come wiht lots of time and patience.
    I'm looking forward to the challenge. I CAN'T WAIT!
    Thanks for the reply and I DO look forward to posting some shots and seeing where I can improve from those that can critique my shots so I can learn from the more experienced!
    Thanks agin for the reply post.

Regards,

Tom
    With good technique and post processing skills, you can use just about any camera. You could certainly use the D70 to get just about any kind of photo you can dream up. It is a great beginners camera and it can take you well into advaced territory too. Most people would never outgrow it.

The most important aspect aspect however to being able to get photos like those posted is skill and imagination. No camera in the world can substitute for that :-)
    edited March 13, 2006
    thumb.gif Yeah I was using e-bay as a pricing board. I'm not so sure I'll buy off e-bay, but only time will tell.
    I'm being patient with my purchase because I want this camera to last me a while.
    I WILL check Sid's excellent thread and see what I can learn...Lord know I have alot to learn! ! ! :uhoh
    Thanks for your reply and post. I DO Appreciate all of them!

Thanks,

Tom
    gefillmore wrote:
    Tom
    regardless which canon, um er camera you buy, please look at sid's excellent thread at http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=374
    in this same forum-
    you might spend a little more money, but save a whole lot of headache and heartache-
    hope you like it here; lot of people willing to help-
    george

ps having said all that and looked on ebay and at google/froogle, I always end up buying at bh photo-

pss but sometimes you can catch a good buy at ebay-
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    thumb.gif Yeah I was using e-bay as a pricing board. I'm not so sure I'll buy off e-bay, but only time will tell.
    I'm being patient with my purchase because I want this camera to last me a while.
    I WILL check Sid's excellent thread and see what I can learn...Lord know I have alot to learn! ! ! :uhoh
    Thanks for your reply and post. I DO Appreciate all of them!

Thanks,

Tom

Check this out in the Flea Market Board: http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29003

I personally compare things to B&H, and Adorama. I buy most of my gear from B&H or locally, as this stuff is expensive, and I don't want to take a chance on grey market or otherwise unkown sellers.
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 14, 2006
    Tom, welcome aboard. Camera's are a very personal choice - you're a bike rider, so you should know what I'm talking about. nod.gif

I will only add one piece of advice, don't forget to check out our flea market. There's currently a nice D70 there for trade - I know the seller, toss him an offer - and there's also a nice D50 there as well.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited March 14, 2006
    Hi ALL!
    I am new to THIS forum. I am a Smug Mug user. Signed up so I could post some picts on another non photograph related forum and have since signed most of my family up to SmugMug cause it's such a cool site! Yes they used the coupon codethumb.gif

There was a post here http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120351 that really got me interesed in this camera the Nikon D70 with the Nikkor 18-70mm lense. ...
    Thanks in advance,

Tom McBride
    Long Beach, Ca.

Welcome Tom,

Did anyone notice that a username "Baldy" resonded in that thread at advrider.com? Hmmmm? Could it be?

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 14, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Could it be?
    I think whatever you're implying is too obvious to me that I don't get it.
    headscratch.gif

what 'chou talkin 'bout?
    Erik

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited March 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I think whatever you're implying is too obvious to me that I don't get it.
    headscratch.gif

what 'chou talkin 'bout?

... Or maybe, I'm just making too much out of it.

The "Baldy" on AdvRider.com shows under:

"Occupation:
    Co-founder of smugmug.com"

Of course we have our own "Baldy" here at DGrin:

"What I do:
    Co-founder of smugmug.com"

They are, (drum roll then trumpet play), one and the same person. I just never know where I'm gonna find one the great minds of SmugMug or DigitalGrin. He's probably also a member/founder of:

Mensa International (Why isn't there a "WoMensa"?)
    Square Dancers Anonymous
    Bike Riders for Better Helmets
    etc., etc.

You just never know? :uhoh

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited March 14, 2006
    Ah yes, I thought that was the case. I've been on advrider since before dgrin and even smugmug existed, so yeah, I've known all along that Baldy is a real schlepp who isn't multi-talented or anything like that.

I don't think he's in Mensa, but he does compete in Ironman's. lol3.gifthumb.gif
    Erik

edited March 15, 2006
    Hi Cmason,
    Thanks for the "flea market" tip, I'll also check into the B&H and Adorama sites as well for checking prices, rather than e-bay. I like the tip! thumb.gif
    AND I do not plan on any grey market stuff.....I don't want to take the chance and proly wouldn't save that much anyhow!

Tahnks again for the response! clap.gif

Tom
    cmason wrote:
    Check this out in the Flea Market Board: http://www.digitalgrin.com/showthread.php?t=29003

I personally compare things to B&H, and Adorama. I buy most of my gear from B&H or locally, as this stuff is expensive, and I don't want to take a chance on grey market or otherwise unkown sellers.
    edited March 15, 2006
    Hey~a~DOC!!
    I thought that may be you were from the advrider site! clap.gif
    I reckognize that nose pickin' anywhere! :uhoh
    Thanks for your tips, I did not think of offering anything cause he wanted to trade and all I got is cash ne_nau.gif
    But I'll give it a shot!

Thanks again for makin' such a noob feeling so welcome!
    I can't wait to start posting picts on this site! ! ! :):

Regards,

Tom
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Tom, welcome aboard. Camera's are a very personal choice - you're a bike rider, so you should know what I'm talking about. nod.gif

I will only add one piece of advice, don't forget to check out our flea market. There's currently a nice D70 there for trade - I know the seller, toss him an offer - and there's also a nice D50 there as well.