Options

The Dalai Lama / Guatemala

FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
edited October 9, 2004 in People
Hiya folks. I haven't posted in about a month it feels like. I'm allllways readin though. Always a pleasure to sit back and watch.

I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Guatemala. We shot a documentary on Hos Holiness the Dalai Lama. It was a pleasure to be so close to such a man. Luckily, the crew and director are close friends, so I managed to operate one of the two cameras. If the docu goes somewhere (crossing fingers for a 'Nobel Prize Winners' series) then I got myself a career! That couldn't have been overstated much more.... BUT, it's my first credited position that actually means something to me. Cross your fingers.

Heres some I got off with the 828 while I wasnt operating the DV CAM.

A blessed rose from his holiness.
9369642-M.jpg

The three monks. Friends of the Dalai.
9437558-M.jpg

Dalai at a speech.
9510043-M.jpg

back at the Hotel. My buddy Brett.
9437773-M.jpg

9438543-M.jpg

9438218-M.jpg

The crew. Me in front.
9438244-M.jpg

More Here

Thanks for lookin folks!
Marshall
No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    FreeUps wrote:
    Hiya folks. I haven't posted in about a month it feels like. I'm allllways readin though. Always a pleasure to sit back and watch.

I have just returned from a 4 day trip to Guatemala. We shot a documentary on Hos Holiness the Dalai Lama. It was a pleasure to be so close to such a man. Luckily, the crew and director are close friends, so I managed to operate one of the two cameras. If the docu goes somewhere (crossing fingers for a 'Nobel Prize Winners' series) then I got myself a career! That couldn't have been overstated much more.... BUT, it's my first credited position that actually means something to me. Cross your fingers.

Heres some I got off with the 828 while I wasnt operating the DV CAM.

A blessed rose from his holiness.

The three monks. Friends of the Dalai.

Dalai at a speech.

back at the Hotel. My buddy Brett.

The crew. Me in front.

More Here

Thanks for lookin folks!
    Marshall
    thanks for sharing these great shots freeups. Wow, fancy being near the Dalai Lama! such a great guy. I've read a couple of his books and was so impressed by his "normalness". Looks like you had a great trip. clap.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    Nice one , freeups.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    happysnapperhappysnapper Registered Users Posts: 224 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Beautiful shots, simply beautiful.
    :roflhappily snapping
  • Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Wax, there is an insane story behind that place.

The Nobel Piece Prize winner Rigoberta Menchu is stationed at this location as of the past 2-or-so months. She was just installed into the Guatemalan government as some kind of ambassador, along with Guatemalas new president who has very recently taken office as well.

Now I've never heard much news on the Guatemalan govt from the states, but I guess it was hell down here no longer than a few months ago. The previous presidents 'hit squads' were once housed right there. If there was something that the president didnt see fit, most likely someone was going to die. Basically, this place is where many, many murders - sometimes on entire villages - were plotted, and set out.

The ironic part about all of it is that Rigoberta was one of the people who greatly opposed the previous president, but I guess she managed to slip past the murder; which in part is why she now holds the Peace Prize.

Now that the president was finally taken out of office, she was able to take over these headquarters and put it to some good use.

Cool stuff.
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited October 9, 2004
    There are very few religious leaders that I would like to meet.
    I'd count His Holiness the Dalai Lama as one of them.

Let us know when the docu airs.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    Thank for the background, FreeUps, very interesting. One of life's ironies is how beauty and ugliness can so easily co-exist. Your photo and story are a good example. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 9, 2004
    Beautiful, and interesting.

Photo wise, I like the second to last one best.

Congrats on the experience, I hope it leads where you want it to.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.