Ouch! Anyone ever get a lens fixed by Canon?

TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
edited March 17, 2006 in Cameras
Wifey dropped the 50/1.4 about 12" onto the sidewalk from a not-quite-completely closed camera bag yesterday (partially my fault for not completely closing the damn bag). Now it won't autofocus at all and the manual focusing ring spins but doesn't move the element more than halfway through its' travel. Grrrr....

Front and rear caps were on, but there are two extremely small dings on the sides of the lens barrel. Will Canon notice that and deny the warranty? What kind of cost am I looking at if they do?
panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
Sony F717 | Hoya R72

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 14, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    Wifey dropped the 50/1.4 about 12" onto the sidewalk from a not-quite-completely closed camera bag yesterday (partially my fault for not completely closing the damn bag). Now it won't autofocus at all and the manual focusing ring spins but doesn't move the element more than halfway through its' travel. Grrrr....

Front and rear caps were on, but there are two extremely small dings on the sides of the lens barrel. Will Canon notice that and deny the warranty? What kind of cost am I looking at if they do?

The short answer is I'm sure once they open it, they will know immediately
    what the cause is...

In order to fix it, you should tell them exactly what happened (and be honest
    as I'm sure they've seen this once or twice before). If they provide you with
    warranty service, great. But if not, you'll need to decide whether to fix it or
    buy another.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    I think Michiel de Brieder did exactly the same thing with exactly the same lens, and had it repaired.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Here's my actual advice: suck it up and spend 1/3 to 2/3 the value of the lens to have it repaired, because it's not worth delaying repairing a piece of glass you could be using to take more beautiful photos ^_^.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Canon's warrenty repairs are pretty fair and usually on the side of the customer. I've had some minor things done and they have been below the quote given even free. Remember they are people too and address them professionally.

Send it in, call them, they will get you a qoute quickly. If there is any damage to the glass I would expect it to be cheaper to buy a new one just because of how inexpensive that lens is.

I bounced a 1.4x TC of a concrete walkway a year ago or so and put a nice dent in the side. It turned out the dent was outside of a space in the TC and didnt hurt the electronics or glass, they replaced the case and it works fine.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Canon's warrenty repairs are pretty fair and usually on the side of the customer. I've had some minor things done and they have been below the quote given even free. Remember they are people too and address them professionally.

Send it in, call them, they will get you a qoute quickly. If there is any damage to the glass I would expect it to be cheaper to buy a new one just because of how inexpensive that lens is.

I bounced a 1.4x TC of a concrete walkway a year ago or so and put a nice dent in the side. It turned out the dent was outside of a space in the TC and didnt hurt the electronics or glass, they replaced the case and it works fine.
    I disagree. They told me on 3 seperate occasions that cracked LCD's on SD400's and 500's were the fault of the customer, and that dead CCD's on A75's/80's/85's/95's were the fault of the customer (they claim moisture). - both faults were later admitted publicly as manufacturer's defects on a LARGE quantity of their models.

Oh, and I sent in my 50mm f/1.8 for repair once, and they sent it back 6 weeks later saying that the lens wasn't faulty, and worked just fine. Put it back on my 300D, still didn't work, so I took it to a local camera store, had them open it up, and sure enough, there was an autofocus lead loose. The store swapped the lens out for me.

I guess you got lucky.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Canon, it's just that they outsource a lot of their repairs up here, and the companies they outsource to don't give 2 "cents" about the customer.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Canon did a good job fixing an intermittant hang problem in a 100-400L for me.
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    cmr164 wrote:
    Canon did a good job fixing an intermittant hang problem in a 100-400L for me.
    Hello, stranger.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 15, 2006
    I recently sent in my 1DsMkll for a bright stripe across the top of the image at high shutter speeds, to Canon in Jamesburg, New Jersey. I suspected the shutter was sticking. The camera was originally puchased in Dec 2004 by our own Andy Williams. I called them before sending the camera in, and they did not hesitate to have me send it in under warranty. I informed them that I was not the original purchaser, but that did not seem to matter.

Canon replaced the shutter assembly under warranty, and the turn around time was less than 2 weeks door to door. I found their service exemplary, as I was not the original purchaser, but caught this camera from an Andy sale.:):

It will be coming with me to Bryce and Zion.

I have heard that some CPS members send their lenses in annually for a check up - not sure about the accuracy of this statement though.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    TristanP wrote:

Which ever you choose, fixed or replaced, get your gear (as I've said else where) INSURED!
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    Which ever you choose, fixed or replaced, get your gear (as I've said else where) INSURED!
    You mean in addition to the included coverage on our homeowners insurance?

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited March 16, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    You mean in addition to the included coverage on our homeowners insurance?
    I put ALL of my camera equipment on a rider, attached to my homeowners, for less that $100 a year, to cover it against all losses...stolen, lost, dropped, drowned.....makes it worth it. The Ins. Co. required the rider since there is over 10 grand worth of goodies in my bag at any one time. I feel better when I'm in a boat, or on a ledge, or where ever:D
    edited March 16, 2006
    So if you make a claim for photo stuff, it doesn't affect your house policy? Separate deductible?

Sony F717 | Hoya R72
    edited March 17, 2006
    TristanP wrote:
    So if you make a claim for photo stuff, it doesn't affect your house policy? Separate deductible?

That's how it was explained to me....each company could be different, so call your agent. It would have been covered under the homeowners policy, for normal stuff (fire, theft from home), but not dropping it, losing it, having it stolen out of car, off a park bench, or getting knocked over on the sidelines of a FB game, and breaking something. I pay $72 a year, which gives me great peace of mind.
    edited March 17, 2006
    Thanks for the info. I'll talk to our agent soon.

Sony F717 | Hoya R72