Options

Noise Removal

GuzzlerGuzzler Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
edited October 7, 2004 in Finishing School
How does one go about removing noise in an image that was shot with high ISO settings in Photoshop CS?

I have a several photos I took of some local standup comics that I wasn't allowed to use a flash when they were on stage. I had to pump up the ISO all the way up on my DRebel just to get a shot. Talk about a difficult shoot... Aaagghh.

I found an option in PaintShop Pro 9 that does a wonderful job. But I am getting spoiled with how Photoshop CS handles the initial RAW importation compared to PSP, so I am using PS more and more.

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    Guzzler wrote:
    How does one go about removing noise in an image that was shot with high ISO settings in Photoshop CS?

I have a several photos I took of some local standup comics that I wasn't allowed to use a flash when they were on stage. I had to pump up the ISO all the way up on my DRebel just to get a shot. Talk about a difficult shoot... Aaagghh.

I found an option in PaintShop Pro 9 that does a wonderful job. But I am getting spoiled with how Photoshop CS handles the initial RAW importation compared to PSP, so I am using PS more and more.
    I know there are some complicated methods (I think) but here is a good program and info.
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    Noise Ninja
    lynnma wrote:
    I know there are some complicated methods (I think) but here is a good program and info.

I second the reccomendation for Noise Ninja. The second step in my workflow, after culling, is batch processing with Noise Ninja. It reads the exif and applies the specific ISO profile for my camera automatically. Wonderful results.

BTW, if I were shooting in a club I might want to convert to bw anyway. Does away with color balance issues, and gives a nice feel to the photos. In that situation I might leave the grain.

Lee
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    I seem to rmember someone removing noise by blurring the blue channel. Anyone tried this? Or is my memory making this up?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    I seem to rmember someone removing noise by blurring the blue channel. Anyone tried this? Or is my memory making this up?
    Your'e making it up...rolleyes1.gif :roll

no actually I think I remember something that .. I'll go try it right now...:D
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 7, 2004
    wxwax wrote:

Usually you switch to LAB and blur the a and b spaces with a Gaussian blur. Noise Ninja may be better

In converting images to B&W from RGB, the blue channel does indeed usually have the most noise.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    Usually you switch to LAB and blur the a and b spaces with a Gaussian blur. Noise Ninja may be better

In converting images to B&W from RGB, the blue channel does indeed usually have the most noise.

Thanks Path. I'll give it a try. I have Noise Ninja, like it without being crazy about it. No doubt I haven't learned how to get the best out of it.

Hey Lynn! FLIPA.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au