Plaza de Mexico

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited March 15, 2006 in Sports
I'm not sure where to put this, I suppose "sports" is the place.

Here are some shots I took the Sunday before last at the Plaza de Mexico in Mexico City. After walkng under the huge sign that said "No Video or Film Cameras, No Backpacks" I made my LowePro mini-trekker as inconspicious as possible, whistled a juanty tune, and paid the usher a $3 tip for his excellent service and poor eyesight. I had read on luminous landscape that the 6th row, shade, was the best place to sit. LL is speaking of Seville, not the DF, so I think actually the 8th or 9th with a bit longer lens would have been better. I shot most of these with my Canon 35-135 USM- it would have been very nice to have a 200, as most of the action took place on the far side of the ring.

35 Minutes until Death in the Afternoon
59782368-M.jpg

The ring wasn't very full, as the torreros on that day were not amongst the best. One was quite old and past his prime, one was very young and inexperienced (this was his first corrida in a big ring) and the other looked like he was going to be pretty decent.

The entry of the banderilleros, picadores,and matadores
59782372-M.jpg

The Matadores present themselves to the crowd

The old Guy
59782376-M.jpg

The Promising looking experienced matador
59782381-M.jpg

And the young, inexperienced matador
59782383-M.jpg

The event also included a rejoneador, who fights the bull entirely from horseback. (known in portuguese as a cavaleiro). Unlike the portuguese style, in Mexico the rejoneador kills the bull with a sword. In Portugal killing the bulls is illegal, except for in one Village where the government was forced to give way to intense local adherence to a long tradition.
59782386-M.jpg

Fighting from horseback is not as dangerous as from the ground, but involves a different set of skills and a well trained horse.

59782393-M.jpg

In the traditional corrida, the bull is first tested by the matadores assistents, so that the matador may observe the bulls' fighting style.
59782396-M.jpg

The picadores, who are always quite large men wearing armored leggings and riding blindfolded armored horses, draw blood from the bull to weaken him and cut him in order to cause him to lower his head. The higher the bull's head, the more dangerous it is for the matador.

59853033-M.jpg

The banderilleros then place lances in the bulls flanks. They do this over several passes, starting with long lances and gradually getting shorter and shorter lances, so that they must be closer to the bull to place them.

59853028-M.jpg

This is a dangerous job, as during the placing of the lances the picadores have no cape to distract the bull with. Sometimes things go terribly wrong.

59853030-M.jpg

Fortunately, the other banderilleros are usually close at hand to distract the bull (similar to rodeo clowns). If something happens in the center of the ring, however, it can take them several seconds to arrive.

The matador then begins to make passes at the bull. The crowd and the judges pay close attention to his style. Does he move his feet to avoid the bull? Is his form and posture correct? the best possible passis when the Matador does not mve his feet, swngs the cape slowly, and the bull passes inches from him. the following pass is OK, but will earn no adulation from the spectators.
59853031-M.jpg

If the Matador is not paying attention, or if the bull's head is not sifficiently lowered by the picador, then the following can easily happen. this was actually going to be my entry for the "rough" competition, as this guy is having quite a rough day, but I could not e-mail it from Mexico.

59782403-M.jpg

As this was in the center of the ring, the bull managed to throw him a second time before the banderilleros arrived, and the matador had to be carried off the field on a stretcher. I will post a few more pics after work, if people are interested.
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 14, 2006
    Good story. Looks like the good light started to dissipate though, your most striking shots were at the beginning of the set... or maybe it was the excitement? A graphic sport for sure, but full of tradition.

I'll come back for the rest.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Good story. Looks like the good light started to dissipate though, your most striking shots were at the beginning of the set... or maybe it was the excitement? A graphic sport for sure, but full of tradition.

I'll come back for the rest.
    No, unfortunately they start at 4 PM, and the light is good only for about the first 2-3 bulls. After that the Arena itself casts a shadow- I think its easier in Seville because the Arena is smaller. But with a 3.5-5.6 Aperture, it gets harder and harder to stop motion and still get a good exposure. I really need a zoom that's 2.8 throughout, but I don't have the cash. Also, using a tripod is out of the question- they will overlook a big SLR, but officially no cameras are allowed, so a tripod is asking for trouble.
  • StustaffStustaff Registered Users Posts: 680 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    Nice shots, kind of difficult to get into comments though when the subject matter is so subjective.

To some its photos of people torturing an animal!

people say its ok its tradition, but so was cock fighting/dog fighting and Badger baiting. and Im pretty sure there wont be any pics of those in a 'sport' section.

To some its a sport and a grand tradition that involves great skill and bravery, and shows the bull as a strong powerful animal.

It certainly makes for some dramatic shots, especially the shot of the rejeonadar and the bull closing in on his horse.
    Trapped in my bedroom taking pictures...did i say bedroom? i meant studio!

My www. place is www.belperphoto.co.uk
    My smugmug galleries at http://stuarthill.smugmug.com
    edited March 14, 2006
    There is no doubt it is brutal. It is also undeniably beautiful. Particularly when experienced "live."

However, I do feel a bit of satisfaction when the Bull wins.
    edited March 14, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    There is no doubt it is brutal. It is also undeniably beautiful. Particularly when experienced "live."

However, I do feel a bit of satisfaction when the Bull wins.

does the bull ever win?
    I thought they always were killed in the end?

edited March 14, 2006
    Stustaff wrote:
    does the bull ever win?
    I thought they always were killed in the end?
    Usually, yes. Very occasionally an exceptionally valient bull is allowed to live.

This particular bull dispatched a matador, knocked a picador off his horse, and generally caused the humans to fall over themselves. So it is, at least, a moral victory for the bull.
    edited March 14, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Usually, yes. Very occasionally an exceptionally valient bull is allowed to live.

This particular bull dispatched a matador, knocked a picador off his horse, and generally cause the humans to fall over themselves. So it is, at least, a moral victory for the bull.

Sounds like a good bull, still not the sort of moral victory I personally would be happy with :)

edited March 14, 2006
    Another shot of the bull getting the best of the matador

59926567-M.jpg

The experienced matadors welcoming the novice to his first major Fiesta Brava, the principal matador ceded the honor of the first fight to him.

59926590-M.jpg

A bull toppling a picador from his horse (the crowd hates picadors, and therefore loved this)

59926575-M.jpg

The banderilleros moving in to rescue the picador

59926577-M.jpg

Banderilleros to the rescue after the second matador is injured- his ankle is broken and he only takes a few more steps.

59926587-M.jpg

An exceptionally valient pass by the Matador

59926573-M.jpg

Protestors outside the Ring

59926582-M.jpg
  • photodougphotodoug Registered Users Posts: 870 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    hummmm. stupid humans torturing and killing animals....because they've always done it. even photos don't do it justice.
  • OwenOwen Registered Users Posts: 948 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    What a stupid tradition. I can't stand it.

But you did a superb job capturing it! clap.gif
    edited March 15, 2006
    I think that was a pretty excellent photojournalistic story, and it's nice to see something out of the norm here on the sports forum. It was a very complete story, with shots of protestors at the end*. Nice work. nod.gif

*although the big Tim Allen movie ads in the background steals a bit of their thunder, dontcha think? lol3.gif
    Erik

edited March 15, 2006
    I know that this sort of thing (bullfighting) stirs up quite a few intense feelings, and I don't want to get into a long discussion of the relative merits or vices of it. What I will say is this; before I ever saw one my opinion of it is that killing an animal for sport is quite brutal, and perhaps even brutalizing for those who view it. Much like viewing a state execution might be. I won't say my opinion has changed, but it has certainly become more ambiguous.

A couple of things led me to want to observe one- first was reading Hemingway's "death in the afternoon," which certainly gives one an appreciation for the complexity of the whole affair. The second was a Gallego friend of mine who said "you will never understand Spain until you understand the Bullfight." Quite a buildup, so I decided to go check one out as a sort of ethnographic project.

Having seen it, I will tell you that it is quite disturbing. But it is also fascinating, and certainly beautiful. It is spectacle in an older sense of that word, not as something garish and flashy alone, but as something mesmerising, ritualistic, and almost religious.

It is obvious, upon viewing, that this is a direct descendent of gladitorial games- from the form of the Arena, to the addressing of the crowd by the combatents, to the division of the tercios by trumpets, even to the "imperial box" and the appeal to the judges as to the manner of the killing.

I had considered afficionados as, at the least, hypocritical, as they claim to love bulls, but participate in a ritual of their execution. But, althouhg it is hard to juxtapose these two things in my own mind, it is in fact true. The afficionados demand that a matador kill cleanly and quickly, and if this does not happen, become quite angry. It is not simply a matter of the killing being badly done, there is a real sense of insult and a sort of moral wrongness to it. It is an insult to the dignity of the bull, and the crow]d; despite being there to watch the bull's death, do believe the bull has tremendous dignity. I have the feeling that I speak a totally different moral language than they do.

Whn I asked my Gallego friend afterwards about it he said "you kill bulls too. You just don't watch it being done." American society has certainly sanitized death. We get our meat in shiny packages. We cover our own dead with makeup and bury them as quickly as possible. We never really see dead people, or animals. I wonder if the folks in the Plaza are not, somehow, more honest than we are? Or I wonder if thye are just more anesthetized to death (later that week I walked past a body on the street, and no one seemed shocked or disturbed at all).

Regardless, it is certainly something colorful, and alien to me- therefore fascinating. And it is deeply rooted.

After the bullfight began, the protesters all came into the Arena, sat down, and watched the fiesta brava, without making a sound.

Isn't that strange?
    edited March 15, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:

After the bullfight began, the protesters all came into the Arena, sat down, and watched the fiesta brava, without making a sound.

Isn't that strange?
    Talk about manners or respect.

Well written thought above, thanks for sharing. nod.gif
    Erik