Options

Question about AGP card

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited March 18, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
well my PC is perfect with 256 Mb ram and 32 Mb of agp card
the problem is that my littel bro wont let me sleep because games dont run smooth on it what should i upgrade will 128AGP or PCI work fine will they run all games for next 3 years :):

PCI slot and AGP slot
intel D845WN and 1.5Ghz :uhoh
just want to buy new agp or PCI card want to conferm it will be worthy or not on my Board
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    the problem is that my littel bro wont let me sleep because games dont run smooth on it what should i upgrade will 128AGP or PCI work fine will they run all games for next 3 years :):

PCI slot and AGP slot
    just want to buy new agp or PCI card want to conferm it will be worthy or not on my Board

Your computer's power supply probably will not handle a powerful card. The nVidia GeForce FX5200 has 128mb of video memory and uses less power than most newer cards. Be sure to always check the specs! Good luck.:D

PCI or AGP is okay!!! I would use AGP (which is a slot on the motherboard).
  • Options
    kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006

PCI slot and AGP slot

Well it sorry to say it wont run games from 2 years ago (smoothly and with any detail) let alone games for the next 3 years.headscratch.gif

Seriously your PC is way out of date. I'm suprised you can work with any photos with 256mb of ram.

I'd think about upgrading the whole system with an entry level AMD dual core system.thumb.gif

Gene
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,177 moderator
    edited March 14, 2006
    Agree with the previous two posters. 256 MB RAM is nowhere'sville these days, especially for gaming, or even common applications written past 2000. Any current game would require far more than 256, just to load the program, much less the OS. Your virtual HD memory is no doubt being used and crawling very slowly. I don't know much about the power supply requirements, but Ric's is a valid concern and something to consider or look into.

Where system spec.'s such as this would (most likely) work for the immediate future is with a Linux distribution, but then you'd be giving up the gaming.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    AGP is gone. All cards are being released for PCI Express.
    32MB is ancient. Most come with a minimum of 128MB.

With that being said, high end gaming is an expensive hobby. You'll spending more than what you would on a console.

Being that you only have 256MB of RAM, I'm guessing your CPU isn't all that powerful. Getting a middle to high end graphics card may be mute if your processor can't keep up. Some games actually need up to a GB of RAM to run well.

To get a mid level machine that should run most games I would recommend an AMD 64 3200 CPU (939 pin) and the NVIDIA 6600 GT graphics card and 1 GB RAM.

In short, you'll probably need to build a new pc.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    AGP is gone. All cards are being released for PCI Express.

Really?

NOT_YET!
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    Really?

NOT_YET!

Yeah, I read about that in Maximum PC. It surprised a lot of people, but if you look at the overall trend, it's PCI Express. When your motherboard manufacturers are changing their fabrication plants to PCI Express and eliminating AGP, you have no choice but to follow. And its a good thing. PCI Express is much better.
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    Yeah, I read about that in Maximum PC. It surprised a lot of people, but if you look at the overall trend, it's PCI Express. When your motherboard manufacturers are changing their fabrication plants to PCI Express and eliminating AGP, you have no choice but to follow. And its a good thing. PCI Express is much better.

What significant advantage does PCI Express have? Less power drain?
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    What significant advantage does PCI Express have? Less power drain?
    That's part of it.
    PCI Express is replacing the old PCI bus standard which AGP is attached to.

PCI Express will allow for hot swapping and plugging. Yep, you can actualling add and replace cards while the computer is running.

The system is way faster. It can handle the faster speeds of SATA drives so now we can actually see the difference, and it's scalable. It can handle the speed increases of tomorrow as well as work with the old PCI drivers.

Another big feature is that it's point to point. That means the bandwidth does not need to be shared and each device has a dedicated pipe to its destination and data can be sent and received simultaneously. each slot will have 250MB for itself and that can increase as the technology progresses.

These are just a few of the things it offers. Bottom line, it's highly scalable for the future, fast, has built in power management, fast, dedicated bandwidth per slot, fast, simultaneous two way communication, fast, allows for additions and replacements without bringing down the system, and did I mention it's fast?:D
  • Options
    ChrisJChrisJ Registered Users Posts: 2,164 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006

PCI slot and AGP slot

Hi Awais, I think this thread has gotten a little off-topic. I found this link on the Intel web site for your board. The most applicable line is this: "The Intel® Desktop Board D845WN can only accept 4X card(s) operating at 1.5V."

I wish I could offer some specific suggestions, but those will be older boards which are hard to find in the U.S. One good resource for comparison is Tom's Hardware. They have VGA charts going back several years.

The only way to really buy 3 years of time would be to upgrade your motherboard, CPU, memory, and Video card (Hard disk is optional).
    Chris
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    That's part of it.
    PCI Express is replacing the old PCI bus standard which AGP is attached to.
    and did I mention it's fast?:D

Gotcha!

I did a little reading since my post to you. I thought AGP 8X was the ultimate.rolleyes1.gif :nah

Thanks.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    wow thanks everybody i thought my Pc is perfect for next 5 years rolleyes1.gif
    it is the fastest you can find in any house of my area eek7.gif
    Looks like i will upgrade to AMD iloveyou.gif someday
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery