Ch. 60: MIT Sushi Chef

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited March 15, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
59938749-L.jpg

This guy has the concession for sushi at the Forbes Family Cafeteria in the Gates Building in the Sata Center at MIT.

2006-03-14 12:34:29
Canon EOS 5D / 50mm f/1.4
1/250 @ f/3.2, ISO 1600
Dan Margulis Portrait Workflow
If not now, when?

Comments

• cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    59938749-Th.jpg

This guy has the concession for sushi at the Forbes Family Cafeteria in the Gates Building in the Sata Center at MIT.

2006-03-14 12:34:29
    Canon EOS 5D / 50mm f/1.4
    1/250 @ f/3.2, ISO 1600
    Dan Margulis Portrait Workflow

OI. The what for the where in the huh at MIT? What the heck happened to calling the cafeteria "the cafeteria"? When did they sell out and start naming everything? Can I buy a table? I'd like to say a future CTO ate at the Abbey Table in the Forbes Cafeteria in the Gates Building in the Sata Center at MIT. mutter-mutter-mumble.

ANYWAY... back on topic. I love the image. The almost prayer like pose as he focuses on slicing the roll is typical of what I see from good sushi artists, and seeing both the finished rolls ready for slicing and a partially complete one to the side, gives more visual interest. But, what does kinda stand out at me is the background... can you tone it down some? It's like it's fighting for my attention.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 15, 2006
    Oooh, I disagree on the background - everyone knows a really strong red has visceral ties to appetite and food. Please don't touch it!

I was wondering if you were gonna pay a visit to your friend for this challenge. I must say I like him much better than the grease ogre.

I like the closeup feel, but can't help but feel a little bit cramped. The bottom of the rolls he is slicing are a bit cut off. Was that original or cropped? If it was opened up a bit and maybe there was a nice big cut of meat even further to right? Go make this guy work for it!
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    It's an altogether more positive take on food than the grease portrait, eh? I'm not sure that that makes it a better picture, but maybe a stronger entry in this challenge.

Anyway, Erik, your wish is my command, so here are two more version. The first is just a different crop of the shot I originally posted, treated in almost the same way. The second is a different shot with quite a different treatment in post.

Opinions among these 3?

60003950-L.jpg

60006175-L.jpg

Oh, and if the thought crosses your mind that you'd like to see #3 with the treatment of #2 or visa versa, take a deep breath and count to 10 before posting that particular suggestion and then if you still feel the need, please explain why in some detail. Thanks.
    If not now, when?
    edited March 15, 2006
    I don't like #3 at all... the chef isn't head on to me, which turns me right off, and the sushi isn't crisp and sharp (I assume that is your treatment), which is an even bigger turn off, because, its all about the food!

I DO like #2, it gives me the whole picture of the food that was missing from #1. And as above, I for some reason, like the direct head-on of the chef.

This is a bit beyond your control, but wouldn't it be great of the cutting board wasn't white? The rice in #1/#2 doesn't pop out as much as I'd like it too. Slip him a fin today and see if he can use a nice dark wooden one!
    lol3.gif
    Erik

edited March 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I don't like #3 at all... the chef isn't head on to me, which turns me right off, and the sushi isn't crisp and sharp (I assume that is your treatment), which is an even bigger turn off, because, its all about the food!

I DO like #2, it gives me the whole picture of the food that was missing from #1. And as above, I for some reason, like the direct head-on of the chef.

This is a bit beyond your control, but wouldn't it be great of the cutting board wasn't white? The rice in #1/#2 doesn't pop out as much as I'd like it too. Slip him a fin today and see if he can use a nice dark wooden one!
    lol3.gif

No the focus in 3 was just different than in 2. The difference in treatment was all about the reds. 3 has a redder darker smoother background and slightly redder tuna. Seemed like a big deal at the time.
    If not now, when?
    edited March 15, 2006
    ah yes, see my comment two above then - I like the red, but was focused on the man and the fish this time. Looking again, I do like the redder background. Do that to #2.
    Erik

edited March 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ah yes, see my comment two above then - I like the red, but was focused on the man and the fish this time. Looking again, I do like the redder background. <deep breath> Do that to #2.

While I try that, here is another MIT sushi picture to contemplate:

60009308-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited March 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    ah yes, see my comment two above then - I like the red, but was focused on the man and the fish this time. Looking again, I do like the redder background. <deep breath> Do that to #2.

Not actually that hard. Visa versa would have been harder, I think.

60010692-L.jpg
    If not now, when?
    edited March 15, 2006
    rutt wrote:
    While I try that, here is another MIT sushi picture to contemplate:
    blah. not nearly as exciting and emotional as the chef.

And like I said, short of a reshoot to make the white rice standout on a darker prep surface (not gonna happen), I really like that final version above this post.
    Erik

• cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:

Yeah, the red in #3 and the crop in #2 would be a gorgeuous combination. (and now that you've posted it, yeah that's beautiful.) There's just something about the particular hue of orange in #1 and #3 that just... hurts my eyes. (and yes, this is a calibrated display ;)
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/