Options

photoshop vs. academic version

bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited July 28, 2006 in Digital Darkroom
i was looking around b&h's site when i saw that there is a photoshop academic version for $300. i was wondering what the differences are between the full version and the academic version

thanks

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    i was looking around b&h's site when i saw that there is a photoshop academic version for $300. i was wondering what the differences are between the full version and the academic version

thanks

About $300.

You have to prove you are a student or associated with a school. Typically this means a paystub, student ID or letter on school letterhead for example.
  • Options
    bphillybphilly Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
    edited March 14, 2006
    so there is no difference in the software, just a price break for students?
  • Options
    spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    bphilly wrote:
    so there is no difference in the software, just a price break for students?

The software is completely the same, but I think there may be a limitation on upgrading it.

-Trish
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    The software is completely the same, but I think there may be a limitation on upgrading it.

-Trish

Yes, typically you can't upgrade an academic version to a regular version down the road.

Probably best to buy Elements and get the upgrade from that :-)
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Actually, I was just looking at Adobe's site the other day. They mentioned that you need to call them if you're planning on upgrading after you've completed school. Let me look up the site on that...
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    From http://www.adobe.com/support/salesdocs/1002268.html

Educational versus retail products
    Adobe educational software is identical to the retail versions, although there may be differences in packaging or marketing. For instance, a retail product may include promotional items (such as free fonts or clip art) that is not included with the educational version of the product. Additionally, because educational products are already discounted, they may not qualify for special pricing offered to non-educational customers.

Note: Promotional items are not available separately to customers who purchased an educational version.

Upgrades
    Education versions of Adobe products are only available as full versions sold at a discount. There are no "education upgrades."

Although upgrade versions are considered Retail versions, customers may upgrade any education product whether they have completed their studies or not.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Also, if you're not paying attention, it throws a blackboard eraser at your head.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited March 15, 2006
    There are other methods to buy a fully functional PS CS2 version on the cheap. If you have ever thought you might want a Wacom tablet, there is an offer to get CS2 for $299. Also the $299 upgrade from Elements 3 or 4 is an option.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Also, if you're not paying attention, it throws a blackboard eraser at your head.

rolleyes1.gif

I got nailed by a beanbag in 6th grade for talking in class. I was normal before that.
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    CatOne wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif

I got nailed by a beanbag in 6th grade for talking in class. I was normal before that.
    lol3.gif I got the eraser.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    lol3.gif I got the eraser.

I'm sure you deserved it too Sid. Would have liked to seen that onerolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    megmeg Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited June 24, 2006
    wacom tablet
    I'm wanting to find the offer with the Wacom tablet. Do you know if it's over? What type I would need? Etc...
    Any info would help...I've been surfing the web and i'm not catching any waves!ne_nau.gif

David_S85 wrote:
    There are other methods to buy a fully functional PS CS2 version on the cheap. If you have ever thought you might want a Wacom tablet, there is an offer to get CS2 for $299. Also the $299 upgrade from Elements 3 or 4 is an option.
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    meg wrote:
    I'm wanting to find the offer with the Wacom tablet. Do you know if it's over? What type I would need? Etc...
    Any info would help...I've been surfing the web and i'm not catching any waves!ne_nau.gif
    Hi Meg,

I'm sure you'll get an answer soon, but in the mean time, welcome to Dgrin! wave.gif
  • Options
    davemj98davemj98 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    Wacom
    I bought the 4x6 intuos model and it has photoshop elements, a nik plug in and a $299 upgrade offer in it this spring for $99 at Frys. Good Luck. My sister is at the university, so I got the education version.
    davidsdigitalphotography.com
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 24, 2006
    wxwax wrote:

lol3.giflol3.giflol3.gif mate did i ever cop a few of those ! Ever have to put your fingers up through the ink well hole & have the eraser down on the tops of them ?
  • Options
    edited July 4, 2006
    Error
    Sorry, it was the graphire model
    Alpha 99 & VG, 900x2 & VG; 50mm1.4, CZ135 1.8; CZ16-35 2.8, CZ24-70 2.8, G70-200 2.8, G70-400, Sony TC 1.4, F20, F58, F60.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited July 26, 2006
    I can only speak for Germany the Educational
    Version is for non-commercial use only. Same
    as for Macs etc. I wonder if thats really not
    the case in the US.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    Manfr3d wrote:
    I can only speak for Germany the Educational
    Version is for non-commercial use only. Same
    as for Macs etc. I wonder if thats really not
    the case in the US.

Good point! You're right. That is true for the US version as well.

The academic version functions the same as the non-academic version except it is:
    - not licenced for commercial use
    - not upgradeable

-Trish
  • Options
    spudjerspudjer Registered Users Posts: 42 Big grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    I bought the US educational version of PS7 back in the day an have had no restrictions to upgrading it to CS. I was told the educational version does not include clip art, extra fonts ad all the other promotional junk that comes with full version. I did get all manuals with it. It was purchased by my daughter in college, felt I needed a perk to the $30,000.00 per year it costs for her to go to college.:puke1 :puke1
    I'm worried about Gort. I'm afraid of what he might do, if anything should happen to me.:dood

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto!
  • Options
    hgernhardtjrhgernhardtjr Registered Users Posts: 417 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    spider-t wrote:
    Good point! You're right. That is true for the US version as well.

The academic version functions the same as the non-academic version except it is:
    - not licenced for commercial use
    - not upgradeable

-Trish

I believe you are incorrect, Trish. This is what the ADOBE website ( http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/faq.html ) states:

Student question
    "I'm very interested in buying the Education version of Adobe Creative Suite, but first I want to know if the software can be used to produce work for paying customers once I am working in the industry, or do I have to buy a different version of Creative Suite once I'm working in the industry?”

Answer
    Good news! You can use Adobe Education software (any title!) to produce commercial/professional paid-for work when you leave school, or even while you are in school. In this regard, Adobe does not limit how student software is used. So students can use it to learn and to make money!

(Of course, students must agree to the terms of the End User Licensing Agreement — which appears during installation — just as every software customer must do.)

As a prof at a college, I looked into this for several of my students. As long as they are truly authorized to purchase it as a student, the above applies.
    — Henry —
    Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif

I researched this very thoroughly before purchasing the "Education Version". Not only is it totally upgradeable, but it is "licensed" for commercial usage just like the regular version. The only difference I noticed was that my copy also included a free Total Training DVD and is marked "Education Version" on the box.

If Adobe hadn't offered it this way, I'd still be using PSP btw.
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    mwgricemwgrice Registered Users Posts: 383 Major grins
    edited July 27, 2006
    Mongrel wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

I researched this very thoroughly before purchasing the "Education Version". Not only is it totally upgradeable, but it is "licensed" for commercial usage just like the regular version. The only difference I noticed was that my copy also included a free Total Training DVD and is marked "Education Version" on the box.

If Adobe hadn't offered it this way, I'd still be using PSP btw.

It'd be pretty stupid for them to screw students by not letting them upgrade (not that it doesn't happen). The whole point of an educational discount is to hook students on your product while they're young so they'll use it after they graduate.
  • Options
    edited July 27, 2006
    cs2
    And If Your Not Happy With These Restrictions, The Regular Version Is On Sale At Fry's For $1199.00:d Again, If You Do Not Have The School Connection, Wacom Grafire 4x6 Tablet Comes With A Copy Of Elements That Is Upgradeable For $300, But I Think That Upgrade Is Just For Photoshop, Not All Of Cs2.
    Regards, David
  • Options
    edited July 28, 2006
    I believe you are incorrect, Trish. This is what the ADOBE website ( http://www.adobe.com/education/purchasing/faq.html ) states:

[snip]

Excellent! Well there you go. Thank you for doing more research.

cheers,
    Trish