30D preorder?

chrisjleechrisjlee Registered Users Posts: 384 Major grins
edited March 21, 2006 in Cameras
I don't know if you all know but ritz is starting preorders for 30d bodies (only) w/ free shipping $1399.
See there: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/59568

I wasn't sure if this is a deal thread since it really isn't too big of a deal. :rofl

But i was hoping that some of you all pick up a 30D so that way I can get a 20D cheap :D
---
Chris
Detroit Wedding Photography Blog
Canon 10D | 20D | 5D

Comments

• jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    chrisjlee wrote:
    I don't know if you all know but ritz is starting preorders for 30d bodies (only) w/ free shipping $1399.
    See there: http://www.techbargains.com/news_displayItem.cfm/59568

I wasn't sure if this is a deal thread since it really isn't too big of a deal. rolleyes1.gif

But i was hoping that some of you all pick up a 30D so that way I can get a 20D cheap :D

Lots of places taking preorders. My order's been in for weeks, but even though everyone was claiming they'd start shipping on the 15th I haven't seen anyone update their site to say it's available yet. Certainly Amazon has yet to ship mine :-).

If I had a 20D I wouldn't sell it for a 30D, though, there's just not that much improvement. So good luck on your quest.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Preorders? The 30d's on the shelves... O.o
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    Lots of places taking preorders. My order's been in for weeks, but even though everyone was claiming they'd start shipping on the 15th I haven't seen anyone update their site to say it's available yet. Certainly Amazon has yet to ship mine :-).

If I had a 20D I wouldn't sell it for a 30D, though, there's just not that much improvement. So good luck on your quest.

I'm considering upgrading for the spot meter and the larger screen alone... But then again, there's probably something better that'll come out eventually
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I'm considering upgrading for the spot meter and the larger screen alone... But then again, there's probably something better that'll come out eventually

As a happy 20D owner, it's not even a consideration for me. The larger screen would be nice, but it doesn't produce better pictures, and my 50 year old eyes are only now beginning to fail me, so I have some time left - and bifocals don't cost as much as the new camera. The spot meter could help, but I presume that a tiny object I was shooting was darker or lighter than the rest of the 12% center frame, then I can adjust the EC± a tad, because that's all the processor is doing. Still, it couldn't hurt.

I know there is no perfect camera, but the gains in this incremental release just don't justify it for me. If I was moving up from a 350D then perhaps they'd have my number.

Picture styles? Blah. Even if I thought that was necessary, that feature has been supplied in the last two versions of DPP, and can easily be duplicated in a number of other ways.

The list of the other differences are even less appealing to me.

I'll wait for the 40D.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • jimfjimf Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    HeldDown wrote:
    Preorders? The 30d's on the shelves... O.o

Yea, if you're Canadian :-). Just dropped into my local shop and they say next Thursday. I know people that took the trip up to Canada just to get theirs sooner. I'm not in that much of a hurry, and besides the anticipation is nice.
    jim frost
    jimf@frostbytes.com
  • VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    My camera store called me last week and told me they had 30D in stock... But I got myself a D200 instead.. :)
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    jimf wrote:
    I have to concur with you. Not only would I not sell my 20d to pick up a 30d, I'm not sure that I would buy a 30d at all. The bigger LCD doesn't really do anything for me. Other than changing settings and chimping, it's not like you can (or should, if you could) shoot with it. I have a feeling that it will eat the batter faster as well, athough the difference may be inconsequential.

The larger buffer might be useful for sprots photographers, but I don't believe that I have ever in my life maxed out the continuous drive buffer on my 20d; that's not the sort of photography that I do.

So, if I were buying now, and not going to get the d200, I would buy a 20d and spend the difference on a lens.

Overall the 30d is sort of a disappointment. I was hoping it would be full frame, but I guess they need to leave some space n the market for the 5d.
    Cave ab homine unius libri