Options

Photographing a Bankman with a family. Tips needed!

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited March 19, 2006 in Technique
Im going to do a job this week. Photographing a bankman (women) and a family containing one wife, one man and a little baby. Im goinng to be at there house, thinking of being outdoors. So I need every tip I can get both on poses and camera equipment. Please, please. :-) Its for a HUGE advertising agency. Im nervous already!

Comments

• Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    Are you using a kodak 3420 point & shoot or a medium format ? Have you 2 weeks experience shooting your friends dog or have you been a shooter for sports illistrated since '72 ?

Lots of help here but we need some info mate.......
  • Options
    edited March 15, 2006
    Going to use a Nikion D2x body. I have been photographing for 5-6 years. never done it as a job. www.jlw.se for some old pictures I have taken.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 15, 2006
    [quote=Viking www.jlw.se for some old pictures I have taken.[/quote]

That's not american english or any english for that matter!!!!! :D

Do you have lights, stands, umbrellas, folding stools, benches [need to know whatcha got to help] and light meter?
    might even be nice to see waht you'll be using.

looking at your site...I would use the Tamron 2.8- 28 - 75 ........are you in an area where you can rent lights, backgrounds,etc etc etc......

The bankman[women] how many in group?
    Does the advert agency have an art director asking for specifi things or giving you any direction at all?
    Most agencys have an art director that tell what exactly they are looking for [any way here in this part of the mid-west, they want as much control as possible, including telling you what type of equip they want used....not that they know what they are talking about...but].......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited March 16, 2006
    Art Scott wrote:
    That's not american english or any english for that matter!!!!! :D

Do you have lights, stands, umbrellas, folding stools, benches [need to know whatcha got to help] and light meter?
    might even be nice to see waht you'll be using.

looking at your site...I would use the Tamron 2.8- 28 - 75 ........are you in an area where you can rent lights, backgrounds,etc etc etc......

The bankman[women] how many in group?
    Does the advert agency have an art director asking for specifi things or giving you any direction at all?
    Most agencys have an art director that tell what exactly they are looking for [any way here in this part of the mid-west, they want as much control as possible, including telling you what type of equip they want used....not that they know what they are talking about...but].......

I did not need any umbrellas or stands. They said.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    If you are going to shoot them out side, avoid contrasty light, avoid direct sunlight. Find a place in shadow, with a background that is darker than the subjects.

Avoid having the sun fall on the sunjects faces, it will make them squint.

Good luck.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited March 19, 2006
    To add to what Greaper says. If you do have to shoot them in harsh light,
    put the subject's backs to it (so they don't squint) and shoot with a flash.

Outside would be nice as would the light from a window (take a reflector with
    you). Maybe a seated portrait with mom and infant seated, father standing?

I'd be tempted to use a long lens and shoot from a distance on the outside
    shots (for better bokeh).

Good luck!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    To add to what Greaper says. If you do have to shoot them in harsh light,
    put the subject's backs to it (so they don't squint) and shoot with a flash.
    Be very careful doing that. It's quite easy for the background to overwhelm your flash. DAMHIK
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 19, 2006
    I totaly blow it.... Like every picture did get overexposed, and the dude got blown highlights in face. Unable to fix in ACR. Some picture Did i manage to fix. SUCKS! My first job and I totaly blow it. I must learn to use flash better. Any tips how I can do that?

If i shall bounce the flash in the chealing, shall i use 0 to get a middle tone on the ppl? or overxpose the flash?