Bread of Heaven...

Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
edited March 17, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
...Food for Thought.

Regardless of your personal religious persuasion, I'd appreciate your thoughts on this idea.

Don't worry, if God doesn't like your opinion he won't smite you. I'm not that well connected with the Man Upstairs!

Shot taken by the light of four candles. You can see their reflections in the glass.

Disclaimer: No slices of bread were harmed during this shoot. All slices were returned to the plastic bag unharmed. The wine, however, was a goner and had to comsumed immediately.

Thanks for looking.
www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.

Comments

• ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Good colours, nice scene. Like it.thumb.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • wholenewlightwholenewlight Registered Users Posts: 1,529 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Great execution of the shot

I have one problem though. I'd really, really like the shot if it were not "wonder bread", out-of-the-plastic-bag bread. This shot begs for some hearty sourdough type, torn-off piece, instead of sliced bread. It would match the wine so much better. And match your title with religeous tones better too - the "breaking of bread"
    john w

I knew, of course, that trees and plants had roots, stems, bark, branches and foliage that reached up toward the light. But I was coming to realize that the real magician was light itself.
    Edward Steichen

• ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    I agree with John W. Like the shot, lighting etc. etc. Needs a more rustic 'real' bread. Besides after the shot a chunk of good bread and bit of good cheese would make a yummy snack with the wine:D
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Different bread, something really rough and grainy, but not dark.

Also, three candles, not four. If this is a symbolist picture, then four isnt' appropriate (unless your relating it to the apostles, and I don;t see any obvious connection here, I think a trinity of candles is more fitting.) Also, I think the arc of the candles ought to match the arc of the rim of the glass, here I think they seem to be at odds. Again, the Eucharist is about unity and communion, so I would choose to eliminate dischordant elements, unless you want to make an ironic statement. In which case I would include a pomegranete.

I can't remember what exactly a pomegranete symbolizes. But I find them cool, and ironic.

Just my 2 cents.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Cropping suggestion
    I like the color and subject. Perhaps experiment with a more square crop and lose the empty space on the right. Maybe even a more vertical crop and loose some of the slices on the rear of the loaf. They create a line that leads the eye away from the subject.

gs
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Murphy66Murphy66 Registered Users Posts: 165 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Maybe I should have mentioned - it's WONDER BREAD!

Just kidding, good ideas folks, thanks. I'll have to think through my 'inspirations' more in the future.
    www.MarcottePhotography.com is my portfolio and www.StudioMarcotte.com is my blog.
    edited March 16, 2006
    Murphy66 wrote:

Just kidding, good ideas folks, thanks. I'll have to think through my 'inspirations' more in the future.

Definitely needs a pomegranate.
  • swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    I would crop out just a bit of the right side of the image.
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Justiceiro wrote:
    Different bread, something really rough and grainy, but not dark.

Also, three candles, not four. If this is a symbolist picture, then four isnt' appropriate (unless your relating it to the apostles, and I don;t see any obvious connection here, I think a trinity of candles is more fitting.) Also, I think the arc of the candles ought to match the arc of the rim of the glass, here I think they seem to be at odds. Again, the Eucharist is about unity and communion, so I would choose to eliminate dischordant elements, unless you want to make an ironic statement. In which case I would include a pomegranete.

I can't remember what exactly a pomegranete symbolizes. But I find them cool, and ironic.

Just my 2 cents.

A pomegranate symbolises Fertility!! mwink.gif So be carfeul!! lol :D
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
    edited March 17, 2006
    vangogh wrote:
    A pomegranate symbolises Fertility!! mwink.gif So be carfeul!! lol :D

I knew there was a reason that I liked pomegranates!
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    pretty good composure, i think it could use a little more light but i think you're going for more of a dark/night snack feel, so if thats how you want it to come out, then it works. i would crop out the top right have side, its a light trap for the eyes. good luck thumb.gif
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    Murph, aside from the other compositional comments - it looks a bit dark, as in, underexposed. The result is a bit muddy - basically, I want that backdrop to be closer to white, as I'm pretty sure that's what it is. Try some curves on this one, or if RAW, crank it up a bit.
    nod.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Yeah I like the idea too, I would have to agree with the 3 candles instead of 4, if we are going to go religous might as well stay consitent (and 3 turns up a TON in the bible)

I also agree with a more hearty looking or fresh loaf, you know the kind you would expect jesus to be breaking with others (and it wasnt sliced bread :))

The other thing I havent decided if the background bothers me or not... where you can see the end of your white background.

But I really really like the idea, has a ton of potential......
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Murphy66 wrote:

Hey that is why we are here....to work through ideas. Sometimes when we take a photo we only see what we want to see....and having other people look at it without some sort of preconceived notion of what we want to see.