Options

St Pauls' Cathedral with Rainbow

vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
edited April 1, 2006 in Technique
I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a query with a pic I took last month,, that I want to "rescue" if poss.

It was taken from the Tate Modern Gallery, shooting from their balcony across the Thames to St Paul's Cathedral. My Godson suddenly pointed out that there was a rainbow, so I rushed to get the camera out & we dashed out to get this. However conditions were grey & the rainbow was already fading. I've fiddled with the curves & levels, but not sure of I can do anything mre to it. Any suggestions please.

The original
60103846-M.jpg

After some tinkering

60103847-M.jpg

Thanks
Nicola
Iconic Creative
http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
Raghu Rai

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    You would probably want to post this in the Photoshop Shenanigans Forum instead of here to get help on this. The subject of rainbows was just mentioned in the LAB color discussion. See pathfinders thread [thread=29980]here[/thread]. Hope that helps.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    St Pauls' Cathedral with Rainbow
    I posted this in the worng forum. I hope someone here can help with this. Thanks

I'm not sure if this is the right forum, but I have a query with a pic I took last month,, that I want to "rescue" if poss.

It was taken from the Tate Modern Gallery, shooting from their balcony across the Thames to St Paul's Cathedral. My Godson suddenly pointed out that there was a rainbow, so I rushed to get the camera out & we dashed out to get this. However conditions were grey & the rainbow was already fading. I've fiddled with the curves & levels, but not sure of I can do anything mre to it. Any suggestions please.

The original
    60103846-M.jpg

After some tinkering

60103847-M.jpg

Thanks
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    this is my 2minute effort.
    first was add a level layer and adjust the RGB highlight slider - that makes the whole thing, particularly the buildings more contrasty.

then I used wand (W) and selected the sky (tol=32) this was simple as there's quite a demarkation between sky & building
    ctrl+j to copy selection to a new layer and adjusted the opacity.

I didn't bother with Lab although that'd give better results.
    and if I was going to spend time on it - i'd be more carefull with the mask.

after comparing your after with mine the buildings are very similar - if you just concentrate on masking the sky because I think that's what you want to bring out.
    hth
    60103846-out.jpg
    vangogh wrote:
    I posted this in the worng forum. I hope someone here can help with this. Thanks

After some tinkering

60103847-M.jpg

Thanks
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    AndymanAndyman Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Here's my try. Wish I had a larger version to work with.

60258325-L.jpg
    Nikon D50
    Tamron AF18-200mm F3.5-6.3 XR Di II LD
    Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical
    Nikon 60mm f/2.8D AF Micro-Nikkor
    Nikon SB-800 Speedlight
  • Options
    marcgemismarcgemis Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited April 1, 2006
    Opened in PS, duplicated background layer, set to overlay. Added Hue/Saturation layer. Increased saturation, added mask to that saturation layer, such that it is only increased on rainbow and the top of the buildings.

62458481-L.jpg