Options

*Time to go home.

DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
edited October 10, 2004 in The Dgrin Challenges
or "why am I the last one at work AGAIN?"

Don't do much low light stuff as I don't have a dSLR. This was ISO50, f2.8, 1.6sec handheld. Best I could get, the iso400 shots were trash from all the noise. Any suggestions, other than save my pennies for a 20d? :wink

9548986-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    sell the car
    then you can have the 20d but you take great shots with what you have.a bike is graet for your heart and you have more time to get shots .mwink.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2004
    You're assuming my car is worth more than a 20d, lenses, memory cards, and a bike...might be a close call! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    judyfuessjudyfuess Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Great idea!!! So there are some benefits for staying late at work rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    gubbsgubbs Registered Users Posts: 3,166 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    You did a good job of handholding! Its a good idea but I think it may be better if the car wasn't so central...rule of 1/3's?? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    RocketManRocketMan Registered Users Posts: 236 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Don't worry over much about not having a Dslr, niether do I, just a little Oylmpus C740, but you'd be surprized what you can do with even the simplest camera. Making the most of what you've got is way more important than worrying about you don't!thumb.gif

See if your camera has setting to change white balance, internal noise reduction and such and get a tripod if you don't already have one. Playing with those setting helped a great deal on my entries in the after dark challange.

RM
    http://roadrunes.com
    "It's better to bite the hand that feeds you, than to feed the hand that bites you" - Me :D
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2004
    gubbs wrote:
    You did a good job of handholding! Its a good idea but I think it may be better if the car wasn't so central...rule of 1/3's?? ne_nau.gif
    I agree, but I took the original as wide as possible without getting distracting stuff in the frame (there's bright sat. dishes nearby, etc). Then I figured I could crop it to look better, but I wasn't happy with any of the crops I tried. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited October 8, 2004
    RocketMan wrote:
    See if your camera has setting to change white balance, internal noise reduction and such and get a tripod if you don't already have one. Playing with those setting helped a great deal on my entries in the after dark challange.

RM
    Thanks Rocket, good suggestions. I have a Canon S1-IS which doesn't have onboard NR. It does have lots of WB settings, but auto is usually pretty good, except indoors. I have enough other settings to remember to play with right now, so I tend to leave WB alone. Then I correct any color casts in photoshop. Kind of a hack way to go, I know! As for the tripod, it was actually in the car at the time! I was too tired to go get it and then walk back...rolleyes1.gif

For this particular image, I color-corrected for the amber lights but I didn't like the tone of it, so I actually made it that color on purpose. And I also added noise on purpose, too. I thought it looked better, it was pretty plain before.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Well, I liked the photo, didn't really notice the centering with the weight of the lights over there.

I don't mind grain, kind of like it, too.

I like the title.

However, with all those things pointed out by the voters......and the fact that a car in a parking lot has not made it yet to my knowledge, I would look in another direction.

I have a Rebel now, but I shot with a Canon Elph, S230, for years. I got some shots, without grain (my Rebel was being fixed recently), I got some shots that were technically OK about 4 PM, and I would assume 10 AM would work.

I would not try the edgier stuff, especially not when you start pulling negative comments.

That is just my experience. Mine is a positive comment, I do like the shot, don't know what the competition will be, though, but a few positive comments, in my experience, well they can lead you down the road you want to go, but they won't take you the distance.

Listen to the detractors, decide what you think, and also decide what your goal is. I mean you can still really like a style of photography and know that it just won't win in a certain place.

That is just my most humble opinion.

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ishish Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    Hey good shot for the theme~~ :)

Also fits the alone theme from before, too bad you can't combine...

I tried a crop, just because I am not so fond of centered subjects, but I am not sure if it might actually work better the way you have it. Here was my crop:

9548986-L.jpg
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 8, 2004
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    I agree, but I took the original as wide as possible without getting distracting stuff in the frame (there's bright sat. dishes nearby, etc). Then I figured I could crop it to look better, but I wasn't happy with any of the crops I tried. ne_nau.gif
    jwear wrote:
    I would say that a shot is good if its good to you .on the selling dont i do have a d70 do not like it its at nikon now.and as stated above i have a c700 that i have loved for a few years and the learnig curve has not been a fun time like i thought it would be with the nikon . I like the shot and the idea !!!how about a skip on the bike and use the bus?? [quote/]clap.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2004
    I can't tell you how many times that was my poor car! I like this shot; but I'd like it better off center. I don't think that ish's crop quite does it though...it needed to be shot that way to start to portray the vast emptiness of the lot. I like the grain in this shot.
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com