Epson RD-1, anybody used it?

JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
edited March 16, 2006 in Cameras
I heard that Epson came out with a new version of their digital rangefinder, the Epson RD-1s. Very minor changes.

I always used to love rangefinder film cameras, (I use a yashica electro 35 on occasion) but wonder how a digital rangefinder can be better than an SLR or a fully loaded digicam. $2700 seems stiff for a 6 megapixel camera (not to mention the cost of voightlander lenses). So, has anyone used this? What does 6MP really mean, in terms of "how good do the pictures really look?" How is it different from shooting, say, a nice Canon powershot, or mybe on of the DSLR models?
Cave ab homine unius libri

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited March 16, 2006
    I think I can trust Luminous Landscape's appraisal here:

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/epson-rd1.shtml

It would appear that a Canon 10D can photographically best the Epson RD1 in nearly every image quality measure.

Tha main attractive feature of the RD1 is "how" it works, not the ultimate quality it delivers. It is very similar in design and function to an older film Leica. It can produce BW images that are very filmic in properties.

Is it a tremendous photographic bargain? I certainly don't think so. Is it a tremendous photographic value? That depends more on your background and your expectations regarding form and function.

The conclusion to the above article has the sentence, "I highly recommend the Epson R-D1." (The article is written by Sean Reid.)

I would respecfully disagree. I would recommend the Eposn to those wealthy and dedicated few who appreciate the form and function of their tools, without regard to mundane things like price and ease-of-use.

When I want that "rangefinder" feel, I use my trusty FED5 film camera, process only at the local "X"Mart for under 3 bucks, and scan with a $200 Minolta film scanner. I get the "total" experience of a film rangefinder, with the option of conventional optical print or digital file. (BTW, the FED5 is a very nice film rangefinder, and you can get excellent glass for it. The results are spectacular.)

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    Yeah, I have always lusted after a Leica rangefinder, and love the "voightlandery" feel of the epson. But unless it has spectacular electronics (which it doesn't appear to) I'll stick with the Yashica Electro 35. It's just a tad flimsy, to my mind.

I do feel that this would be "easier" to use in a sense than an SLR. Even the 20d (my main camera) , which is more "intuitive" than most, is tough to use in the sense that many of its' functions are hard to access while maintaining an uninterrupted flow.

Then again, I learned to shoot on a Praktica and a flexaret- those are my first loves, and my best ones as well.

A bessa r3A film camera looks like a better deal.
    Cave ab homine unius libri