York College Baseball

binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
edited March 17, 2006 in Sports
i shoot a lot of sports for my school, york college of pennsylvania. i'm usually too lazy to post sports shots because i take soooo many, but i had to show this first picture here, so i'm showing a couple others as well.

in this shot, you can clearly see the runner's foot touching the base, while the ball isn't in the 1st baseman's glove. the runner was called out and the team was outraged. i had to share this picture:
60157511-L-1.jpg

60157713-M.jpg

60157293-M-3.jpg

60157520-M-2.jpg

Comments

• Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    too bad they didn't have instant replayne_nau.gif While it is not obvious, the foot is definately there before the ball. But, I don't suppose you (or the team) wants to hear "win some, lose some"

Colleen
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    That's a really nice shot! Do you flinch as you shoot in a bang bang situation like that?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    From your angle, it is not clear the foot is on the bag before the ball is in
    the glove. I can see his heel pretty well which means that his foot could be
    parallel to the bag but not contacting the bag. Your shot definetly looks like
    he's safe but without being in the right position, making that call from your
    angle is difficult. Sorry. It's the ref in me :D

Nice series. I do like them.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Frog LadyFrog Lady Registered Users Posts: 1,091 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    From your angle, it is not clear the foot is on the bag before the ball is in the glove. I can see his heel pretty well which means that his foot could be parallel to the bag but not contacting the bag. Your shot definetly looks like he's safe but without being in the right position, making that call from your angle is difficult. Sorry. It's the ref in me :D

I thought that too at first, but if you look closely, it looks like the tip of the shoe is sticking up over the bag - which it would only do if the foot is hitting the side of the bag. (I tried to blow it up, but the 72 dpi resolution didn't show much - what's the original look like there bing?)
    Colleen
    check out my (sports) pics: ColleenBonney.smugmug.com

*Thanks to Boolsacho for the avatar photo (from the dgrin portrait project)
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Frog Lady wrote:
    what's the original look like there bing?)

original:
    http://binghott.smugmug.com/photos/60249379-O.jpg

i still think he's safe, what do you guys think?
  • LiquidOpsLiquidOps Registered Users Posts: 835 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    binghott wrote:
    original:
    http://binghott.smugmug.com/photos/60249379-O.jpg

i still think he's safe, what do you guys think?

He is safe...

2 things...

1. You can see the toe of his cleat flexing upwards... This implies contact with the bag, or a really big rock before the bag.

2. If you look close at the bag, you can see that it is being pushed up towards the middle. The pressure, not only from the first baseman on the side of the bag, but the pressure from something on the front of the bag, is making it mound up like that in the middle.

Personally though, I think this play shouldn't have been that close in the first place. The runner is obviously not running through the bag. If he had ran through the bag he would have been there already.

Steven
    Wandering Through Life Photography
    MM Portfolio

Canon 30D | Canon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8 | Canon Speedlite 580ex