Options

A shot in the dark (rugby)

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited March 17, 2006 in Sports
Went to shoot my local team last night, oh my god it was dark even with the flood lights on, this is the first time shooting under floodlights at night
C+C welcome good or bad, all shots underexposed 2 stops
10D + 200 2.8

1 iso 1600/1/400th/2.8 -2 stops
60149275-M.jpg

2 iso 1600/1/400th/2.8 -2 stops
60149295-M.jpg

3 iso 1600/ 1/200th/2.8 -2 stops
60149307-M.jpg

4 iso 1600 / 1/80th 2.8 -2 stops
60149319-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 16, 2006
    The action and the expressions are great...but the grain is really rough!!! I'm not even sure what advice to give you, but I'll bump you back up to the top so maybe some others can give you some better critiquing!!! :D
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    The action and the expressions are great...but the grain is really rough!!! I'm not even sure what advice to give you, but I'll bump you back up to the top so maybe some others can give you some better critiquing!!! :D

The exposure was bad, i had to underexpose by 2 stops to get some speed
    which caused the noise and the 10D only goes upto iso1600 but is bad at handling noise, this shot is iso 1600 but i got the exposure right don't know howne_nau.gif

55634959-M.jpg
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    I think you did an admirable job given the light - or lack thereof. I've also got a 10D and yes, shooting sports at night is quite the challenge.

I've come to love Noiseware and NeatImage or at least accept them. rolleyes1.gif They tend to reduce the colors a little, to my eye anyway, so before my final step of flattening layers, sharpening and saving as jpg (to then run through Noiseware), I bump up the saturation and contrast +5 or so.

55634959-M-v.jpg
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    yeah have you used NeatImage before?

http://www.neatimage.net/

its free to try out and im sure it will help improve a lot of your photos' noise problems. otherthan the noise, those are some good shots there.
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    I think you did an admirable job given the light - or lack thereof. I've also got a 10D and yes, shooting sports at night is quite the challenge.

I've come to love Noiseware and NeatImage or at least accept them. rolleyes1.gif They tend to reduce the colors a little, to my eye anyway, so before my final step of flattening layers, sharpening and saving as jpg (to then run through Noiseware), I bump up the saturation and contrast +5 or so.

55634959-M-v.jpg
    Thanks Steven
    You did a good job with that shot, i have noise ninja but don't think i used it on that shot
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    mr peas wrote:
    yeah have you used NeatImage before?

http://www.neatimage.net/

its free to try out and im sure it will help improve a lot of your photos' noise problems. otherthan the noise, those are some good shots there.

Thank's Mr peas
    I have tried neatimage but went with Noise ninja
  • Options
    galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Nice work!

I think the 20D would have done better with the noise.

But the noise might actually work well with black and white conversions. Post one up if you try it. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 17, 2006
    Saxon wrote:
    Nice work!

I think the 20D would have done better with the noise.

But the noise might actually work well with black and white conversions. Post one up if you try it. thumb.gif

Tied a 20d didn't like it , i have big hands the 20d is a quite a bit smaller than the 10D
    It's not the size of your equipment it's what you do with it :D