I need some help, please

patrickbeilpatrickbeil Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
edited March 19, 2006 in Finishing School
Pat

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Hiya patrick wave.gif

I just got in and saw this. With the group of folks we have around here I'm sure we can get something together!
  • patrickbeilpatrickbeil Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    cletus wrote:
    Hiya patrick wave.gif

I just got in and saw this. With the group of folks we have around here I'm sure we can get something together!

Thanks... that's what I was hoping for!thumb.gif
    Pat
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    can you elucidate as to whom this is for, that is, the audience?-

several thoughts that are more my personal tastes versus any expertise:

have you streched wide the middle pic?- it looks out of proportion-

the color looks consistent except for the upper right pic--too red--

just don't care for the font, the size and the color scheme; not sure what to suggest here-

do not like the delineation between the pics; I prefer consistently sized pics with some type of background-

I wonder if you could post this in the sports forum with your question for help with a link or note to go to this forum for suggestions-

again, I'm no expert; just offering some suggestions-

best
    george
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    I'm no PS master, but simply as a reviewer, I noticed this skewing as well and found it very distracting, it's all I could look at! Balls should be round... you've got at least two in that poster that are not (middle and top right).
    :nono

BTW, If I'm wrong, and those aren't wonky, please tell me so I can have my eyes checked or cut the night caps out of my routine.
    lol3.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

edited March 17, 2006
    Can you elucidate as to whom this is for, that is, the audience?-
    >>The mother of this player.

several thoughts that are more my personal tastes versus any expertise:

>> Yes, I did stretch it, and yes, it is out of whack.

the color looks consistent except for the upper right pic--too red--
    >> I agree.

just don't care for the font, the size and the color scheme; not sure what to suggest here-

do not like the delineation between the pics; I prefer consistently sized pics with some type of background-
    >> That is my issue - how to piece them together.

I wonder if you could post this in the sports forum with your question for help with a link or note to go to this forum for suggestions-

again, I'm no expert; just offering some suggestions-
    >> Thanks, George.
    Pat
    edited March 17, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I'm no PS master, but simply as a reviewer, I noticed this skewing as well and found it very distracting, it's all I could look at! Balls should be round... you've got at least two in that poster that are not (middle and top right).
    :nono

BTW, If I'm wrong, and those aren't wonky, please tell me so I can have my eyes checked or cut the night caps out of my routine.
    lol3.gif

Doc -
    It does not appear that your nightcaps are affecting your ability to discern wonky-ness...They are in fact wonky, as you say.

I am frustrated with the layout/background issues - I didn't fix those issues, but I will.

BTW,PS experts: is there a way to constrain the porportions of an image when resizing it?
    Pat
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Doc -
    It does not appear that your nightcaps are affecting your ability to discern wonky-ness...They are in fact wonky, as you say.

I am frustrated with the layout/background issues - I didn't fix those issues, but I will.

BTW,PS experts: is there a way to constrain the porportions of an image when resizing it?

The first thing that occurs to me is that it looks cluttered. Everything seems to have been given equal weight in terms of the design, so there's no reason for our eye to move to one area, as opposed to another. The result is we're kind of lost.

I would select the one image that captures your subject better than any others, and make that the primary image, and then work the other shots in and around that one. Image 4008 seems like the best candidate. Also, a couple of the shots don't do as much as the rest. Lose them. You have enough good images that you don't need padding.

I would at least double the size of your main image and then drag your others in and size and mask accordingly. Use Edit>Free Transform and hold the shift key down when you resize. That will keep the proportions the same. I would also drop a layer between your main image and the others. Fill this layer with black, or a suitably dark color, then add a layer mask, also filled with black. Then use a large, low opacity, soft-edged brush to paint white into your mask to selectively reveal the black fill. It is a good way to frame the smaller images and keep them from getting lost in the background details, and it also allows you to keep the interesting aspects of your main image while minimizing the backgrounds.

Also, your type is competing with your images. I'd use a simple Sans Serif face, and make it much less intrusive.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    wave.gif Hi Patrick - looks like folks are coming through with some good comments...

Keep it up, Guys!
    edited March 17, 2006
    edgework wrote:
    The first thing that occurs to me is that it looks cluttered. Everything seems to have been given equal weight in terms of the design, so there's no reason for our eye to move to one area, as opposed to another. The result is we're kind of lost.

I would select the one image that captures your subject better than any others, and make that the primary image, and then work the other shots in and around that one. Image 4008 seems like the best candidate. Also, a couple of the shots don't do as much as the rest. Lose them. You have enough good images that you don't need padding.

I would at least double the size of your main image and then drag your others in and size and mask accordingly. Use Edit>Free Transform and hold the shift key down when you resize. That will keep the proportions the same. I would also drop a layer between your main image and the others. Fill this layer with black, or a suitably dark color, then add a layer mask, also filled with black. Then use a large, low opacity, soft-edged brush to paint white into your mask to selectively reveal the black fill. It is a good way to frame the smaller images and keep them from getting lost in the background details, and it also allows you to keep the interesting aspects of your main image while minimizing the backgrounds.

Also, your type is competing with your images. I'd use a simple Sans Serif face, and make it much less intrusive.

That is what I was hoping for - thanks. I'll get to work on it this evening. The techiques will help - but even more are the design recommendations. I really appreciate it.

And Andy, thanks for pointing me in this direction.

You guys are great.clap.gif
    Pat
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Not sure if it beater, but an idea of something different. The selections are rough but was doing a quick thing, not precise.

Yes you can keep the ratio of the pics correct when enlarging. If you are using the transform you could use scale and keep both % the same or hold the shift key down when dragging a corner the ratio will remain constant.

Maybe putting #5 is repetitive. Maybe having one image as the background kinda faded out like this one. Reduce the opacity till you like it for the layer.

60257140-M.jpg
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
    edited March 18, 2006
    bham

yours reminds me of the paintings the guy used to do for sec football and basketball with the picture of the coach and the stadium and some of the players in this kind of format-

what if all were in the same position but got rid of the bg and had a consistent background-that is, selected all players and then do some type of color fill-

or leave your central pic as is but as each of the pics is added those players are selected with no bg at all and layered on to the big pic-

regardless, good idea-

george
    edited March 18, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    bham

yours reminds me of the paintings the guy used to do for sec football and basketball with the picture of the coach and the stadium and some of the players in this kind of format-

what if all were in the same position but got rid of the bg and had a consistent background-that is, selected all players and then do some type of color fill-

or leave your central pic as is but as each of the pics is added those players are selected with no bg at all and layered on to the big pic-

regardless, good idea-

george
    Yes, good idea. And creative.

I am still trying to get my latest version done. I am working on it... Just figured out some mask issues.
    Pat
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    I didn't read carefully, in case it hasn't been covered...

To resize anything and maintian the aspect ratio hold the shift key while resizing it.

That is all.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
    edited March 18, 2006
    Version 2 posted
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I didn't read carefully, in case it hasn't been covered...

To resize anything and maintian the aspect ratio hold the shift key while resizing it.

That is all.
    Yes, thank goodness, it was. What a blessing!

Well, here is version 2 - it is smoother, and less cluttered, but to me it is not very exciting.

At least I have learned some skills - thanks for "teaching me to fish"...

Any suggestions?

60388611-L.jpg
    Pat
    edited March 18, 2006
    look at your first one, then your second one-

do you feel like it's better?-

if so, why is it better-

simplified?-

more room?-

text look better?-

what else do you like about it or not-

look on the net and try to find some other sports posters and see what you like or dislike about them-

look at other posters and see how they're formatted and think how yours would look like that or not-

I don't believe you ever told us what audience this was aimed for-
    edited March 18, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    look at your first one, then your second one-

do you feel like it's better?-

if so, why is it better-

simplified?-

more room?-

text look better?-

what else do you like about it or not-

look on the net and try to find some other sports posters and see what you like or dislike about them-

look at other posters and see how they're formatted and think how yours would look like that or not-

I don't believe you ever told us what audience this was aimed for-
    The audience is this player's mother. After comparing the two, I do like it better. It is cleaner, much less cluttered. I will continue to work at this. It is an evolutionary process. I have learned some valuable lessons about how to put the composites together.

Thank you all for your help.
    Pat
  • edgeworkedgework Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    The audience is this player's mother. After comparing the two, I do like it better. It is cleaner, much less cluttered. I will continue to work at this. It is an evolutionary process. I have learned some valuable lessons about how to put the composites together.

Thank you all for your help.

I think it's a major improvement. A couple of picky points: One of the smaller images you've chosen has his face mostly turned away. Another of your shots, where he's wearing white, captures essentially the same type of moment, but his face is facing towards the camera. It seems more effective.

Typographically, your lettering is still competing with your images. The red drop shadow looks like some secretary just figured out a trick in Powerpoint for the office newsletter. It screams "Look what I can do!" but looks cheesy.

Also, you have an opportunity to establish hierarchies of importance with your type, which you haven't done here. Given that this is for his mother, I would say his name is more important than the team name. I'd give him 60pt type and the team 40pts. Placing the team name, in such large letters, at the top left, really misdirects our attention and dilutes the point of the poster.
    There are two ways to slide through life: to believe everything or to doubt everything; both save us from thinking.
    —Korzybski
    edited March 19, 2006
    edgework-

I believe those are more than just picky-

great points both-

george
    edited March 19, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    edgework-

I believe those are more than just picky-

great points both-

george

I agree. The pic of him facing away bothered me, too.
    I am working on another version now.
    I will post it soon.

I get the message on the lettering.

Thanks.
    Pat
    edited March 19, 2006
    Well, here is my latest iteration.
    I like the layout and the pics
    60562364-L.jpg
    Pat
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Well, here is my latest iteration.
    I like the layout and the pics
    60562364-S.jpg

Instead of a flat black in the background, how about a gradient?

I'm also not too crazy about the text on the guy's crotch. Seems odd.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Instead of a flat black in the background, how about a gradient?

I'm also not too crazy about the text on the guy's crotch. Seems odd.

Thanks for the comments - I'll try the gradient. And move the text.
    Pat
    edited March 19, 2006
    patrick-

our aim is to keep you at this as long as we can-

seriously, you can see a continual improvement and I believe you're getting invaluable instruction that's not costing you anything more than time and effort-

I eagerly await the final product-

george
    edited March 19, 2006
    ps the pic in the upper right corner-color looks a little off- maybe pull a little yellow (I think) out with hue/saturation (drop down list to yellow and gradually lower the saturation--might have to tweak master hue/saturation)-

george
    edited March 19, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    patrick-

our aim is to keep you at this as long as we can-

seriously, you can see a continual improvement and I believe you're getting invaluable instruction that's not costing you anything more than time and effort-

I eagerly await the final product-

george

George,
    I do appreciate all your help. Really, I do! I have learned a tremendous amount. My wife is letting me know that I have learned enough for today!

So i is off to trim the hydrangeas. I hope to post the final version by tomorrow.
    Pat
    edited March 19, 2006
    please tell her that working on photos is much more important than working in the yard-

heaven knows I've been given great advice here and am trying to pass it on-

it is more than my pleasure to help and it's neat to read all the different suggestions you're getting and see it come together-

happy trimming-
    george
    edited March 19, 2006
    yeh, you can go on forever-

the text looks good-

I love the gradient background--davidto's suggestion, right?-

I do think something needs to be just a little different around each pic where it melds into the background, but I'll leave that to someone else-

you've come along way, baby!-

what a difference a weekend makes!-

george
    edited March 19, 2006
    gefillmore wrote:
    yeh, you can go on forever-

the text looks good-

I love the gradient background--davidto's suggestion, right?-

I do think something needs to be just a little different around each pic where it melds into the background, but I'll leave that to someone else-

you've come along way, baby!-

what a difference a weekend makes!-

george

Yes, the gradient works well...thanks DavidTo

about the transition, maybe just a little more space around each picture? somehow, it needs to feather more...

Now, I look back to my original image - wow - what a difference.

Thanks again.
    Pat