New features - March 16, 2006

rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
edited March 18, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Wow, great job on this release - all is much snappier now indeed! I really don't know what to do with the additional bandwith, but I guess it's a nice thing to have.
I gotta check on how the IPTC keywords work for me now. I can't imagine how this works having both the comma separated and space separated notion of dividing keywords. In theory this means nothing has changed for me, as I still can't use a space in multiword-keywords, but I'm going to check it.

Sebastian
Sebastian
SmugMug Support Hero

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Wow, great job on this release - all is much snappier now indeed! I really don't know what to do with the additional bandwith, but I guess it's a nice thing to have.
    I gotta check on how the IPTC keywords work for me now. I can't imagine how this works having both the comma separated and space separated notion of dividing keywords. In theory this means nothing has changed for me, as I still can't use a space in multiword-keywords, but I'm going to check it.

Sebastian

It means, that multi-word keywords entered in bridge and separated by the semicolons works clap.gif!
  • rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    I did a short test and it looks like you did it! My IPTC-keywords are now imported with a semicolon as a separator and therefore multiword-keywords are recognized properly!! clap.gif
    There's a small glitch at least with my test photo. The keyword-box starts with a semicolon+space:
    60229287-L.gif
    plus the semicolon for the last keyword is missing.
    So it should be the other way around - directly starting with the keyword and then putting a semicolon+space after the last keyword.

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • onethumbonethumb Administrators Posts: 1,269 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    I did a short test and it looks like you did it! My IPTC-keywords are now imported with a semicolon as a separator and therefore multiword-keywords are recognized properly!! clap.gif
    There's a small glitch at least with my test photo. The keyword-box starts with a semicolon+space:
    60229287-L.gif
    plus the semicolon for the last keyword is missing.
    So it should be the other way around - directly starting with the keyword and then putting a semicolon+space after the last keyword.

Thanks,
    Sebastian

I'll have to double-check, but I don't *think* we're editing your keywords in any way, including re-arranging semicolons and such.

So it might be that way internally.

Anyway, I'll double-check when a get a chance.

Don
    edited March 17, 2006
    onethumb wrote:
    I'll have to double-check, but I don't *think* we're editing your keywords in any way, including re-arranging semicolons and such.
    I had a look at it in PS. I don't have the leading semicolon+space there.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • kwalshkwalsh Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Major thumbs up on the improved JPEG thumbnails!!! :D

I know you guys have been playing with this for awhile, I haven't had a chance to compare but a few photos between the old and new processing scheme but so far I really like what I see. Great job!!!

One question, if I read it correctly we'd need to reupload a photo to generate new thumbnails with the new process flow, yes? Any plans to update the old ones?

Oh, and the speed demon thing is cool too. Didn't break anything for me, but I have minimal customization at the moment.

Keep up the great work guys!!!!

Ken
  • demdem Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    I don't know if this is related to the keyword changes, but now when I upload a photo named, for example, D20_0316.JPG, the keyword "0316" is automatically added. This doesn't seem right.
    Dave
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    dem wrote:
    I don't know if this is related to the keyword changes, but now when I upload a photo named, for example, D20_0316.JPG, the keyword "0316" is automatically added. This doesn't seem right.

Yeah, that's a bit odd. But don't worry- they don't show in your list, or on the page if you have keywords showing under the photo.
  • ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    First of all, i'm not sure if this should go here, or somewhere else, feel free to move my
    post around. There was a something about the semicolon in front of keywords, and i am
    experiencing similar things.

Scenario: I have uploaded a picture "Dina de Breuk (1847-1877) - 03.jpg" to smugmug.
    Previously i had tagged it with "Dina de Breuk" in bridge. (no semicolons)
    After i uploaded it, it showed no keywords at all.

60353815-L.jpg

when i chose to edit the keywords, it came up with this:
    60353818-L.jpg
    where the blue portion is part of the orginal filename.
    Also notice the semicolon at the beginning.

I have renamed the original file to "03.jpg" and uploaded it again, to the same gallery.
    This time i do get the keywords as entered in bridge:
    60343440-L.jpg

When i click it it shows:
    60343438-L.jpg
    so again with the semicolon in front. Where did that come from? i didn't enter it.

Also i guess in my case, the filename somehow interfered with keywords. I can start renaming
    the files, however, i would like them to have the names, so i can share them with others who
    don't know how to read the tags.

Ivar.
    edited March 18, 2006
    ivar wrote:
    Scenario: I have uploaded a picture "Dina de Breuk (1847-1877) - 03.jpg" to smugmug.
    Previously i had tagged it with "Dina de Breuk" in bridge. (no semicolons)
    [...]
    when i chose to edit the keywords, it came up with this:
    60353818-L.jpg
    where the blue portion is part of the orginal filename.
    Also notice the semicolon at the beginning.
    Apart from the semicolon at the beginning of which Don will take care of for sure I think here we've got a typical problem that comes through the various options you've got in entering keywords - the clash of the two worlds:

1. keywords separated by space - the traditional SM method (automaticly used to keyword parts of the filename) and
    2. separation of keywords using semicolon or comma.

This creates a problem as Ivar's excellent example shows (I don't know why no keywords at all show up in this example, but that's probably a different problem and not part of my concerns for now). When there's only one IPTC keyword typically no semicolon (ignore the one at the beginning) is written in the SM keywords and then separated by a space useable parts of the filename are added. Now the whole keyword entry is treated as space-separated.

That simply shows the need for a concluding semicolon after the last keyword that gets imported from IPTC. That would make things for the user clearer, too.

Did I miss anything? mwink.gif

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero