New lens. Weird green spot. What is it?

juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
edited March 17, 2006 in Cameras
I got my new 20D (:lust), and a new 24-105MM f/4L IS lens to go with it on Tuesday. I've been shooting lots of random stuff just to practice. I took this picture of the sunset (nothing special composition-wise, obviously). Notice the green spot and other defects on the left side of the picture. What is that?

When I unpacked the lens, it seemed like the box had been opened before, so I got a little paranoid that I received a lens that had been returned by someone else. I bought the lens and camera from B&H.

Is it defective?

60247295-L.jpg
--juliejules
http://www.juliejules.com
Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    Is it defective?

Julie, on the rear of the lens, do you see a control number, what is it? It should start with the letters UT.

more info from Canon
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Julie, on the rear of the lens, do you see a control number, what is it? It should start with the letters UT.

more info from Canon
    UU0204
    Really UU, not UT.
    --juliejules
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Maybe I'm wrong but that looks like lens flare to me.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
    edited March 17, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    UU0204
    Really UU, not UT.

OK that's a relief. I was worried you had a pre-recall lens.

Did you have your lens hood on? Lens flare at this angle is not uncommon in a lens of this sort.
    edited March 17, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Did you have your lens hood on? Lens flare at this angle is not uncommon in a lens of this sort.

Probably not. :uhoh I am trying to get into that habit.

Ok, so this is acceptable? I'd hate to have to send it back, but for this kind of money, I certainly will. I guess I should try some more shots with the lens hood on.

Thanks for your help. I'm almost as nervous with my new camera as I was with my first newborn baby!
    --juliejules
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Maybe I'm wrong but that looks like lens flare to me.

I agree, it looks like nothing more than lens flare, which I'm not even sure a lens hood would stop at that angle. But I always use the lens hood, good habit to get into.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
    edited March 17, 2006
    juliejules wrote:
    Probably not. :uhoh I am trying to get into that habit.

Ok, so this is acceptable? I'd hate to have to send it back, but for this kind of money, I certainly will. I guess I should try some more shots with the lens hood on.

Thanks for your help. I'm almost as nervous with my new camera as I was with my first newborn baby!

Repeat after me: I will always use my lens hood. Always. Always.

Always.

You can mitigate this, often, with minute changes in angle of view.
    edited March 17, 2006
    I promise to use the hood :):. In fact, I went out and just took some pictures with the hood, in the general direction of the sun. I started left and worked my way to the right, taking 5 pictures in a row. The sun is fairly high, and not directly in the lens. It seems like I can't get anywhere near the sun without getting flare. Is this normal? I guess I'm disappointed. :cry

60270877-S.jpg

60270899-S.jpg

60270852-S.jpg

60271174-S.jpg

60271108-S.jpg

Finally, the last shot shows no sign of flare.
    --juliejules
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    The 24-105 L is a great lens, but not a great lens for shooting into the sun or close to it. Mine shows flare then also.ne_nau.gif

But then, a great many lenses show flare when shooting into the sun.

It is rare lens indeed, that can be pointed at the sun and not demonstrate some flare. Try some of your other lenses the same way and see how they do too. My 24-70 L also shows flare then, as does my 35 f1.4 L and these are considered excellent glass, even by Andy.

The professional movie cameramen use MUCH larger lens hoods for their glass - some of their lens hood are over three feet long - using a good umbrella can do wonders sometimes in this situation.

It is almost always better to shoot from a shaded area, rather than having the sun shine directly on the front surface of your lens.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    It is rare lens indeed, that can be pointed at the sun and not demonstrate some flare.
    Pretty much what I was thinking.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 17, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

It is rare lens indeed, that can be pointed at the sun and not demonstrate some flare.

Yes, and in fact it's why I made this tutorial on removing lens flare a while back lol3.gif