A shot in the dark (rugby) reworked

gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
edited March 22, 2006 in Sports
Just had a go at reworking some of the shots to see if i cound improve them. What do you think ?

This one i like much better, if you watch rugby you will know the just off the shot there will be at least 2 big blokes rushing him hoping to pulverize him before he kicks the ball into touch
60255059-M.jpg

this one i removed a bit more noise and uped the contrast as suggested
60255053-M.jpg

Comments

• Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 18, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Just had a go at reworking some of the shots to see if i cound improve them. What do you think ?

This one i like much better, if you watch rugby you will know the just off the shot there will be at least 2 big blokes rushing him hoping to pulverize him before he kicks the ball into touch
    60255059-M.jpg

this one i removed a bit more noise and uped the contrast as suggested
    60255053-M.jpg

Gary,
    When I first saw these I really like the idea of trying night rugby shots. Yes, they were noisy and lacking contrast (and maybe a bit flat color-wise). But nothing that couldn't be improved with some post processing.

I think you are going in the right direction with your rework. I'd suggest going quite a bit further. Much of the noise is in the under exposed background. You can make it less visible by setting a higher blackpoint, or increasing black, using selective color. It's OK if the background is dark. After all, you are trying to emphasize the players, not the background. It will also make the players stand out more.

57418170.jpg

57417879.jpg

I used selective color to increase the black % by +25 (choosing the color black). I then pumped up the color (twice actually) and ran the images through Neat Image. The 2nd one had to be run through NI twice. I didn't spend much time and it would have been easier and more effective working with larger images. But you get the idea.

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Gary,
    When I first saw these I really like the idea of trying night rugby shots. Yes, they were noisy and lacking contrast (and maybe a bit flat color-wise). But nothing that couldn't be improved with some post processing.

I think you are going in the right direction with your rework. I'd suggest going quite a bit further. Much of the noise is in the under exposed background. You can make it less visible by setting a higher blackpoint, or increasing black, using selective color. It's OK if the background is dark. After all, you are trying to emphasize the players, not the background. It will also make the players stand out more.

57418170.jpg

57417879.jpg

I used selective color to increase the black % by +25 (choosing the color black). I then pumped up the color (twice actually) and ran the images through Neat Image. The 2nd one had to be run through NI twice. I didn't spend much time and it would have been easier and more effective working with larger images. But you get the idea.

Steve

Thank's Steve those look great, i'm not very good with this PP can it be done in Element 3 ?
  • robert mccanerobert mccane Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    very nice good action:):
    edited March 21, 2006
    very nice good action:):

Thank's Robert
    edited March 21, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    Thank's Steve those look great, i'm not very good with this PP can it be done in Element 3 ?

Gary,
    I'm not sure. I've never used E3 so I'm not quite sure what features it has. Under Adjustments, does it list Selective Color as an option? If so, then you can do that part. Does E3 allow you to use actions? If so, the way I pumped the color up was to use a 40% Provia Action Layer and I used another action (10D Finisher-Subtle Color). The Velvia/Provia Action can be found here . My understanding is that the 10D Finisher Action does not work with E3. You can just raise the saturation or use a stronger % of the Provia/Velvia Action.

Hope this helps some :D

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 21, 2006
    Gary,
    I'm not sure. I've never used E3 so I'm not quite sure what features it has. Under Adjustments, does it list Selective Color as an option? If so, then you can do that part. Does E3 allow you to use actions? If so, the way I pumped the color up was to use a 40% Provia Action Layer and I used another action (10D Finisher-Subtle Color). The Velvia/Provia Action can be found here . My understanding is that the 10D Finisher Action does not work with E3. You can just raise the saturation or use a stronger % of the Provia/Velvia Action.

Hope this helps some :D

Steve

Thanks Steve
    E3 dosn't allow actions but i had a play and got it very near to your example
    edited March 21, 2006
    My new attempt, what do you think
    60960352-M.jpg

60960356-M.jpg
    edited March 21, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    My new attempt, what do you think
    60960352-M.jpg

60960356-M.jpg

Gary,
    You did a bang up job on these clap.gif Much less visible noise and much more pleasant to view IMHO thumb.gif

If you are comfortable doing a bit of post processing, as you did with these, I can see you shooting many more night/dusk rugby matches. It will definitely minimize any background issues.

Good work!!

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited March 22, 2006
    Thank's Steve
    for all your help thumb.gif