Equine Quantities

galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited March 18, 2006 in Sports
A few of my daughter doing equestrian. It was this horse's first time showing.

Morning warm-up

w6_050cp_060115.jpg

Walking

w6_392cp_060115.jpg

Jumping

w6_439cp_060115.jpg

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    That an albino horse? Got a super creepy eye in that first shot, gives me the willies.

But your shots are excellent, sharp, great color and exposure. Well done.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• galaxycowpokegalaxycowpoke Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That an albino horse? Got a super creepy eye in that first shot, gives me the willies.

But your shots are excellent, sharp, great color and exposure. Well done.

Thanks, doc. Despite initial appearances, I don't think it's an albino but considered a grey. And I think the eye is actually a very light blue.

But, I agree, pretty creepy nonetheless. 1drink.gif
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 17, 2006
    Laughing.gif, I agree with Doc. At first I thought it was a blind horse headscratch.gif That eye is creeeeeeeeeepy :uhoh

I think you did well on all of them. I really like the last shot (it's a wallhanger thumb.gif ), but something about the composition/balance seems amiss. I can't put my finger on it. I like the pointsettas below and that you were able to get almost all the horse into the frame. Maybe it has something to do with your daughter being in the top center of the frame ne_nau.gif

It is fine as is, but IMHO, you might want to try some different crops (like moving her to the left and cutting off the horse's butt? But, then there go the pointsettas too probably :-(, to see if you get even more impact.

Good work thumb.gifthumb.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Thats a good capture for timing of the legs over that small xrail. for point of fact, the color looks to be a Cremello or Very light palomino paint. ( notice the very pale golden splotches on the body and by the tail. ) definitly not a grey ;)
    edited March 17, 2006
    CookieS wrote:
    Thats a good capture for timing of the legs over that small xrail.

Thanks, Cookie. After shooting so many race bikes, timing horses comes easy.
    for point of fact, the color looks to be a Cremello or Very light palomino paint. ( notice the very pale golden splotches on the body and by the tail. ) definitly not a grey ;)

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I see the pale gold now. I guess the grays have black and white hair for that gray look (like me). I grew up with 180 head of cattle but my wife is the horse person. She grew up riding in Ocala. So I always defer to her.

I'm told the horse is registered as a Pinto. Don't ask me what those are. :D Something about paints and Indian horses. :):
    edited March 17, 2006
    but something about the composition/balance seems amiss. I can't put my finger on it. I like the pointsettas below and that you were able to get almost all the horse into the frame. Maybe it has something to do with your daughter being in the top center of the frame ne_nau.gif

Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

You got me to thinking about the problem, and I'm pretty sure what it is now: the tail.

Unfortunately, the orginal image was cropped there or I would recrop.

But that's a good lesson for future horse capture decisions.

Don't crop the tail at the buttock.

Thanks for prompting me to think about it!
  • PossumCornerPossumCorner Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    You were 'told right' that the pony is a Pinto. The light eye is quite normal and correct and the criticism - do some people watch Stargate or something too often? They are a fine combination showing mutual trust and the pony did great to keep a cool head at its first show outing. Cropping more of the jump shot would be negative: a jump-shot in general should show what the horse is jumping, and preferably the whole animal (and rider).
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 18, 2006
    Saxon wrote:
    Funny, I was thinking the same thing.

You got me to thinking about the problem, and I'm pretty sure what it is now: the tail.

Unfortunately, the orginal image was cropped there or I would recrop.

But that's a good lesson for future horse capture decisions.

Don't crop the tail at the buttock.

Thanks for prompting me to think about it!

I think you've got it thumb.gif If you have room, leave the tail in and maybe even crop some off the right. That way you'll have the entire horse and your daughter's head will be more to the upper right of the frame (along with the horse's head) :D I agree with PC that the tighter crop suggestion wasn't a good one ne_nau.gif

Steve

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Two very expensive hobbies, horses & photography. Lovely family memories all round.
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village