Nikon D50 water resistancy.....

Tom McBrideTom McBride Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
edited March 17, 2006 in Cameras
Hi group,
I am curious if anyone knows how water resistant the D50 is.
Can it be used in drizzling, misty weather? Or will I have to take extra precautions to keep ANY and ALL H2O off the camera?
Can it be made so?

Any experiences, comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Tom

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    There are items i have seen on ebay (usually from china), that fit bt elastic over the lens and camera body.....personally I just use a 1 or 2 gallon glad bag cut the corner out to fit the lens and attach via a wide rubber band....works great looks dorky and is dang cheap.....but do not take chances if you don't have too.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Tom McBrideTom McBride Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Yeah, that's what I thought. A bag or I was even comtemplating punching two holes in two corners of a chamous(sp) and having it "drape" over the lense and body....either way, it's unnattractive but when it comes to preserving my investment, it's not a beauty contest! thumb.gif
    Thanks for your reply...I like it.

Tom
    Art Scott wrote:
    There are items i have seen on ebay (usually from china), that fit bt elastic over the lens and camera body.....personally I just use a 1 or 2 gallon glad bag cut the corner out to fit the lens and attach via a wide rubber band....works great looks dorky and is dang cheap.....but do not take chances if you don't have too.
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    Yeah, that's what I thought. A bag or I was even comtemplating punching two holes in two corners of a chamous(sp) and having it "drape" over the lense and body....either way, it's unnattractive but when it comes to preserving my investment, it's not a beauty contest! thumb.gif
    Thanks for your reply...I like it.

Tom

I don't think Nikon claims any sort of weather sealing on the D50 like they do on the D200 and some of the other more pro cameras. I'd be careful with moisture like that (rain, etc). I'm overly cautious though...I doubt I'll ever let my D200 see rain...even a little. I'm just paranoid. I guess the lens to body connection is probably the weakest link too.
  • Tom McBrideTom McBride Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    I guess the lens to body connection is probably the weakest link too.

I'd agree with that too. thumb.gif

Yeah, I don't plan on being in a torrential down pour, or underwater or anything like that.
    Just a question to see what others thoughts and experiances are or have been.

Heck I live in one big desert......So Cal!
    We hardly ever see rain or moisture for that matter, (althought as I type it is sprinkling outside.)
    But "tis the season" and on the whole of our year, we don't get much rain!

Thanks for your thoughts kygarden:D

Tom
    Long Beach, CA
  • tonydtonyd Registered Users Posts: 213 Major grins
    edited March 17, 2006
    There is a camera rain coat offered by an Ebay seller 'fotosharp' that seems pretty good. it sells for $24.95 plus shippng. You can find it by searching for "camera rain coat".

Here is a current ebay sale.

I bought one a while ago, it has elastic that hugs the end of the lens and it can be left open as much as needed on the back side to see camera controls, display, etc.