godaddy -cname- email forwarding problem

chabrechabre Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
edited March 21, 2006 in SmugMug Support
Hi all,

I am having some problems with godaddy.

I setup the cname as Smugmug requires, it all worked fine until I wanted to use email forwarding from godaddy, it was not allowing me to forward the emails, so I sent an email to their support and after 2 weeks of exchangin mails, they told me that the problem was that the cname was directed to smugmug and that they resolved the problem... they changed to the default cname setting and forwarded to my smugmug site...

Is there any way to have the cname to smugmug and having the email forwarding?

Thank you.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    chabre wrote:
    Hi all,

I am having some problems with godaddy.

I setup the cname as Smugmug requires, it all worked fine until I wanted to use email forwarding from godaddy, it was not allowing me to forward the emails, so I sent an email to their support and after 2 weeks of exchangin mails, they told me that the problem was that the cname was directed to smugmug and that they resolved the problem... they changed to the default cname setting and forwarded to my smugmug site...

Is there any way to have the cname to smugmug and having the email forwarding?

Thank you.

Hi Chabre,

I'm sorry but we don't do anything at all with email records.
    Your godaddy should be setup with CNAME Alias of your custom domain to www.smugmug.com and all will be well.

Please let me know if I can help more?

Andy
  • chabrechabre Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Hi Chabre,

I'm sorry but we don't do anything at all with email records.
    Your godaddy should be setup with CNAME Alias of your custom domain to www.smugmug.com and all will be well.

Please let me know if I can help more?

Andy

Thanks Andy,

This is what they told me in the email:
    Dear Jonathan Chabre,

Thank you for contacting customer support. The problem with MX records was being caused by the "chabre.org" cname. The cname was directing all traffic outside of the control of the zone file.
    This has been removed, so email should work within 48 hours. However, the main domain will no longer forward to smugmug.com. Domain forwarding can be used to direct the main domain name to smugmug.com

The problem was that I made a cname "chabre.org" directing to smugmug, this way if I put chabre.org directs to my site, but it was also directing all mail to smugmug, so that was the problem.

Now, if I put www.chabre.org goes to my site, but chabre.org doesnt, I put temporal a domain forwarding, so if someone forgets to put the www, can enter my site.

Now, I have to findd a way to do that without using the cname chabre.org to be able to have the email forwarding and be able to enter my site without www but without domain forwarding, any ideas?

Thanks.

Jonathan
    edited March 18, 2006
    sorry, I just read in the help section to use the cname "@", I will try that.
    edited March 18, 2006
    chabre wrote:
    sorry, I just read in the help section to use the cname "@", I will try that.

I tried it, but godaddy doesnt allows it...

I put a a-host to your IP, now chabre.org is workin, but it changes the domain to chabre.smugmug.com , what can I do so that ny domain stays instead of chabre,smugmug.com

sorry for all this
  • technocrafttechnocraft Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I've been having the same problem with email. Was very hard to figure out what the problem. Some people's email would get to me, some would immediately bounce.

What finally fixed it for me was changing the CNAME record to an A record instead. A CNAME Record is a name alias: this name = that name, An A Record is an IP alias: this name = that IP.

The only problem with this is that if/when smugmug updates their main IP address (or adds a new pool of IPs, etc), then we have to also change our DNS records.
    -Tony
    http://images.tonyschreiber.com
    (technocraft.smugmug.com)
  • camblercambler Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I've been having the same problem with email. Was very hard to figure out what the problem. Some people's email would get to me, some would immediately bounce.

What finally fixed it for me was changing the CNAME record to an A record instead. A CNAME Record is a name alias: this name = that name, An A Record is an IP alias: this name = that IP.

Your mail problem should not have been affected by this. In both cases, the domain is pointing elsewhere.

Did you have an MX record for the domain?
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    what I did
    Was signed up for an email through godaddy. It was cheap ($10 a year, I think) and works nicely. I had previously been forwarding to a yahoo e-mail account through joker.com-- while the forwarding part worked well, when I'd reply, it would come from my yahoo account (and tack on a yahoo ad). This might work for you-- but I found the investment in an actual e-mail address made me come across much more professionally. Every little bit helps-- just depends on how you want to come across.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited March 20, 2006
    dogwood wrote:
    Was signed up for an email through godaddy. It was cheap ($10 a year, I think) and works nicely. I had previously been forwarding to a yahoo e-mail account through joker.com-- while the forwarding part worked well, when I'd reply, it would come from my yahoo account (and tack on a yahoo ad). This might work for you-- but I found the investment in an actual e-mail address made me come across much more professionally. Every little bit helps-- just depends on how you want to come across.

yes, thats better, actually with the purchase of the domain with godaddy I have 1 free email account. I have not activate it...

The email forwarding I want is more for my family ( my domain is my last name www.chabre.org ), so, everyone can have their personalized email.

I think that now is working the email forwarding and also the domain without www , although I have to change the preferences when smugmug change their IP.
  • flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    chabre wrote:
    yes, thats better, actually with the purchase of the domain with godaddy I have 1 free email account. I have not activate it...

The email forwarding I want is more for my family ( my domain is my last name www.chabre.org ), so, everyone can have their personalized email.

I think that now is working the email forwarding and also the domain without www , although I have to change the preferences when smugmug change their IP.

I forwarded my domain using cname records and i use the 1 free e-mail account for my e-mail. This works like a charm.

At home, i add this account to my Outlook (Express) and specify the POP3/SMTP settings provided by GoDaddy.
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com