$3000. DSLR budget. What,,, and why?

xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
edited March 21, 2006 in Cameras
I've always been a Nikon fan :uhoh , but this will be my first DSLR purchase, and I'm totally open to suggestions from everyone about your recommended DSLR body and lense selection for a $3000. budget.

I enjoy wine, moonlight walks,,,,,,oops another thread :D . This equipment will be used primarily to record trip reports while motorcycling. Currently using a Kodak DX6490, and looking to upgrade.

Number one criteria is image processing speed. I'm sick of missing shots while waiting for the camera to process the previous exposure. Number 2 critera is lens selection. I LOVED the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 on my N90S,,,,,will definetely include a FAST, SHARP, non zoom as my standard lense. :ear :ear :ear

Not really interested in the Nikon vs. Canon debate, more interested in what you would buy today with 3 grand, knowing what you know :thumb .

Oh, and thanks!

Comments

• DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    xsquiggy wrote:
    I've always been a Nikon fan :uhoh , but this will be my first DSLR purchase, and I'm totally open to suggestions from everyone about your recommended DSLR body and lense selection for a $3000. budget.

I enjoy wine, moonlight walks,,,,,,oops another thread :D . This equipment will be used primarily to record trip reports while motorcycling. Currently using a Kodak DX6490, and looking to upgrade.

Number one criteria is image processing speed. I'm sick of missing shots while waiting for the camera to process the previous exposure. Number 2 critera is lens selection. I LOVED the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 on my N90S,,,,,will definetely include a FAST, SHARP, non zoom as my standard lense. ear.gifear.gifear.gif

Not really interested in the Nikon vs. Canon debate, more interested in what you would buy today with 3 grand, knowing what you know thumb.gif .

Oh, and thanks!

me personally? i would buy a 5D, sell my 28-105 and pick up a 17-40... but since you're starting from scratch i would recommend this.

if you wait a little bit longer for the 30D

Canon 30D
    17-40 f/4L USM 50 1.4 70-200 f/4L USM

comes to just under your budget and its a killer set-up.thumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    xsquiggy wrote:

Number one criteria is image processing speed. I'm sick of missing shots while waiting for the camera to process the previous exposure. Number 2 critera is lens selection. I LOVED the Nikon 50mm f/1.4 on my N90S,,,,,will definetely include a FAST, SHARP, non zoom as my standard lense. ear.gifear.gifear.gif

Not really interested in the Nikon vs. Canon debate, more interested in what you would buy today with 3 grand, knowing what you know thumb.gif .

Oh, and thanks!

I would go with the Nikon D200 for $1700. I would then spend $300 on CF cards and an extra battery. This would leave you $1000 for glass. What glass you could get wouuld depend on if you have any old Nikon glass from your N90S.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Red BaronRed Baron Registered Users Posts: 53 Big grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    I'd look at buying either a Canon 30D ($1,400) or a 20D ($1,120) (great deals out there right now) and a 24-105IS ($1.250). This should leave you with enough money to add a Canon 580EX flash ($370) or a Tokina Ultra Wide ($499). All prices are B&H - if you key in "psjan" in the "search" box you may be able to find even cheaper prices.

I have the 20D, 24-105IS and 580EX and it's a great system. The 20D is very fast and produces clean images even at ISO 1600.
  • JohnRJohnR Registered Users Posts: 732 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    I agree with Harry.

Nikon D200, 18-70mm lens to start you out and a couple of CF cards.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Required Reading.
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=26203

Good luck in your choice!
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Since I'm on the Canon side, I guess I'll do my part in making suggestions for Canon.:D

What

20D (Unless there's a reason you need a 30D) - $1100
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS - $1249
    Canon 50mm 1.4 - $315
    Two 2 gig memory cards - 2 x $80 - 160

Total: $2824

That should leave you with $176 where you can buy a few extra batteries and maybe some filters for your lens(es)

Why?

The 20D is a very nice camera that's pretty darn fast. I've never had to wait for my 20D to write to a CF card. Focusing is also very good.

The 24-105 L is probably one of the best walk around lenses you can get. It covers a very large range and has IS (Image Stabilization) to help you get those shots that would otherwise be blurry. Keep in mind though that IS does not stop action. (An alternative would be the 24-70 2.8 L, around the same price)

Why the 50 1.4? It's sharp, fast, and not really expensive. Just ask Andy about his.clap.gif

2 gig memory cards. Well...you will need plenty of storage!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
    edited March 18, 2006
    Red Bull wrote:

That should leave you with $176 where you can buy a few extra batteries and maybe some filters for your lens(es)

You forgot about lunch naughty.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    xsquiggy wrote:
    This equipment will be used primarily to record trip reports while motorcycling.
    Be sure to use a portion of your $3,000.00 for a good hand-strap if you're going to be shooting from a bike!!! rolleyes1.gif
    xsquiggy wrote:
    (Notice how Andy just ignored this statement?) :D
    edited March 18, 2006
    By now it shoyld be clear that the Nikon folks will recommend a nikon set-up and the Canon folk will pimp for their brand also.

The best thing to do is to go down to the camera store and get a feel for the various options open to you. I would not confine myself to Nikon or Canon eiither. Pentax & Olympus have fine options out there also.

Usually the best choice for you is the camera that feels right in your hands.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    By now it shoyld be clear that the Nikon folks will recommend a nikon set-up and the Canon folk will pimp for their brand also.

actually, i only am proceeding in my brand because i really like canon's high ISO low noise capabilities, and they have such nice glass. however, if i had to start over, i would buy the D200. and the 18-70 with a nikon 50 1.4 and if i could i would splurge just a little and buy the 70-200 2.8 VRthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited March 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

Very good advice....which is why I'm still shopping for a camera and am heading out to my local Calumet store in just a little while! Good luck with whatever you choose. :D
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:

The best thing to do is to go down to the camera store and get a feel for the various options open to you. I would not confine myself to Nikon or Canon eiither. Pentax & Olympus have fine options out there also.

Sage advice once again from Harry. My only suggestion is to do your homework before you go into the store. Keep in mind that the D200 is so hot right now that most places don't have it in stock to "try on". This body is probably worth the wait for you if you can. Coming from N90 experience, you will really like the fit of the D200. It is also a rugged body which is just a notch below a pro build at a great price.
  • mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    D200, 4gb CF card, extra battery, and 35mm 2.0D. That's all I'd recommend to start. You're only a little over 2 grand to start and can research software and possibly new PC options while you learn your new body.

Keep in mind that I'm a big proponent of Nikon here but I'm not a fan of the build on the "lower end" bodies. I may have unreasonable expectations but anything less than survival to 50,000 shutter actuations, the ability to withstand light rain, and the ability to survive the occasion bump into walls and doors just doesn't impress me. If you can find an old D100 and can live with the small buffer, longer write times compared to newer bodies, and are willing to shoot RAW only then it might be the right fit for you. Personally you sound like you want speed on top of everything else so the D200 seems like a natural for you.

As far as lens goes I recommend the Nikon 35mm 2.0D because it will give you the equivalant field of view of 53.9mm (35mm x 1.54 crop factor) on your D200. It's fast to focus, is sharp like a prime should be at any apeture, is lighweight, and it has a spectacular minimum focus distance.
    edited March 18, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    Be sure to use a portion of your $3,000.00 for a good hand-strap if you're going to be shooting from a bike!!! rolleyes1.gif

(Notice how Andy just ignored this statement?) :D

The original poster didn't say they were not interested in The Great Canon Nikon Debate.

Case closed. naughty.gif
    edited March 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    The original poster didn't say they were not interested in The Great Canon Nikon Debate.

Case closed. naughty.gif

they said:

"Not really interested in the Nikon vs. Canon debate, more interested in what you would buy today with 3 grand, knowing what you know thumb.gif ."

Oh, I see. He said that he wasn't interested in the Nikon vs. Canon debate he didn't say he wasn't interested in The Great Canon Nikon Debate. :lol
    Harry
    edited March 18, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    they said:

"Not really interested in the Nikon vs. Canon debate, more interested in what you would buy today with 3 grand, knowing what you know thumb.gif ."

Oh, I see. He said that he wasn't interested in the Nikon vs. Canon debate he didn't say he wasn't interested in The Great Canon Nikon Debate. :lol

Harry, you ignorant slut blbl.gif
    edited March 18, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Harry, you ignorant slut blbl.gif

I'll keep it simple for ya

FLIPA.gif
    Harry
  • xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    D200, 4gb CF card, extra battery, and 35mm 2.0D. That's all I'd recommend to start. You're only a little over 2 grand to start and can research software and possibly new PC options while you learn your new body.

. Personally you sound like you want speed on top of everything else so the D200 seems like a natural for you.

First, thanks for everyone's repliesthumb.gif . After reading the thread, I did some online research, and came to the same conclusion as the suggestion above: D200, 35 f/2, to start.

Nikon bodies just suit my hands like a glove. I've always been happy with Nikon optics. After becoming familiar with the D200 body and some shooting experience with the 35/2, I 'll probably select the 50/1.4, 20/2.8, and 85/1.8 in that order. Later on, maybe another 80-200 2.8. I can't see paying the premium for the new 70-200.

Dream lense: 200/f2 :D .
  • CatOneCatOne Registered Users Posts: 957 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    xsquiggy wrote:
    First, thanks for everyone's repliesthumb.gif . After reading the thread, I did some online research, and came to the same conclusion as the suggestion above: D200, 35 f/2, to start.

Nikon bodies just suit my hands like a glove. I've always been happy with Nikon optics. After becoming familiar with the D200 body and some shooting experience with the 35/2, I 'll probably select the 50/1.4, 20/2.8, and 85/1.8 in that order. Later on, maybe another 80-200 2.8. I can't see paying the premium for the new 70-200.

Dream lense: 200/f2 :D .

Good choice. I'm a Canon guy, but if I were in your shoes the Nikon D200 is what I'd go with, with that budget.
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    CatOne wrote:
    Good choice. I'm a Canon guy, but if I were in your shoes the Nikon D200 is what I'd go with, with that budget.

15524779-Ti.gif
    i love my canon, but if you already had nikon, i would say stick to nikon.
  • xsquiggyxsquiggy Registered Users Posts: 34 Big grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I called my local Nikon retailer to ask if the D200 was in stock and was told there were already 59 people on the waiting list. Oh my.
    edited March 20, 2006
    xsquiggy wrote:
    I called my local Nikon retailer to ask if the D200 was in stock and was told there were already 59 people on the waiting list. Oh my.

I just checked a numbe rof stores on-line and its backordered on everyone. The best thing to do is request notification from them when the camera becomes available.
    Harry
  • JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Don't quote me on the "Nikon vs. Canon" thread, but if I were you I would wait and get the d200. that looks like a hell of a camera for $1600.
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    Best Buy in Albuqerque, NM (Eubank Ave. Store) has the D200 in stock at the moment, and the Nikon 18-200mm zoom lenses.

They also have the Canon 5D.

FWIW.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
    edited March 21, 2006
    I called a local camera store today to see if they had a floor sample of the Nikon D200 so I could try it on "for size". He said they did and have an order coming in this week. I told him I was to the point that whichever camera felt the most comfortable in my hands and had a menu that made the most sense was probably going to make my decision. He agreed holding it was the best thing to do.....and then proceeded to sell me over the phone on the Canon vs. the Nikon even knowing he had a shipment of Nikons coming in! Guess from the sound of it, they aren't that hard to sell right now! Basically said the Canon was better in low-light, megapixels aren't everything, and that both of them would probably perform equally well in sunlight, etc., etc. I keep switching back and forth....I'm on a fence. I know either one will please me and be all that I could ever need. How good a photographer I could be with either one, is a whole different story!!! :D
    edited March 21, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    I called a local camera store today to see if they had a floor sample of the Nikon D200 so I could try it on "for size". He said they did and have an order coming in this week. I told him I was to the point that whichever camera felt the most comfortable in my hands and had a menu that made the most sense was probably going to make my decision. He agreed holding it was the best thing to do.....and then proceeded to sell me over the phone on the Canon vs. the Nikon even knowing he had a shipment of Nikons coming in! Guess from the sound of it, they aren't that hard to sell right now! Basically said the Canon was better in low-light, megapixels aren't everything, and that both of them would probably perform equally well in sunlight, etc., etc. I keep switching back and forth....I'm on a fence. I know either one will please me and be all that I could ever need. How good a photographer I could be with either one, is a whole different story!!! :D

First rule of buying a camera is not to listen to the salesperson. If you go to my local camera shop they will push Nikon because they are affiliated with Nikon. The D200 is probably the hottest selling camera out there right now. The salesperson knows that he will be able to sell every D200 coming in. Its in his interest to sell you a Canon because right now he's not assured of selling every Canon in stock. Also he can get an mmediate sale by getting you to buy a Canon.

Would you be happy with the Caon if you bought it, absolutely. The same can be said for Pentax, Olympus, and Nikon. Every camera out there will give you knock out results if you take the time to learn the tool.

Go down there, try out the various available cameras and go with the one that fits you the best.

You can't lose no matter which way you go. In the end its about the pics. Look at the shots posted here. Unless someone told you which camera took the shot you couldn't tell. In the end its not about the tool you choose but its about how you use it that counts. If you take the time to learn the tool and learn photography you will get excellent results no matter which camera you go with.
    Harry