C60 Food -- food gone wild?

DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
edited March 19, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
OK, so I don't have any food in the house! Or at least I don't consider lettuce photogenic, but I found these brown and purple potatoes I bought a long time ago for some still lifes and never got around to using them. So I saw them on top of the fridge and decided to release them from the net bag. Then to my table, a piece of colored paper, my haolgen desk lamp, and bracing the cam against the table edge. Well, what do you think? Too WILD for the challenge, or just too preverse?

60442605-M-1.jpg

Antlers

60442598-M.jpg

The purple one...

60442608-M.jpg

Comments

• saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    rolleyes1.giflol3.gif :bread :lol4 Oh Dee! This is the best post of the DAY!!!! I have tears streaming down my face....this shot is Waaaaay toooooo familiar!!!!! Where have I seen that potato before???? They look like shriveled brains with coral or cacti growning out of them.........eeeeuuuu!!!! On the other hand........they are done so well!!!! I absolutely love them! Nice series!!! Yup.......# 2 does it for me!
    clap.gif
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Ah, Thank you!
    saurora wrote:
    rolleyes1.giflol3.gif :bread :lol4 Oh Dee! This is the best post of the DAY!!!! I have tears streaming down my face....this shot is Waaaaay toooooo familiar!!!!! Where have I seen that potato before???? They look like shriveled brains with coral or cacti growning out of them.........eeeeuuuu!!!! On the other hand........they are done so well!!!! I absolutely love them! Nice series!!! Yup.......# 2 does it for me!
    clap.gif

You made ME laugh too! I guess we can all identify with food gone wild, huh?

I was thinking they looked like coral and was thinking of a title like, the mysterious elusive nocturnal coral...

You should see what I did with a dead dried up banana peel! rolleyes1.gif Wish I still had that one! BTW, my husband was grossed out about the banana peel, as were the girls!
  • spider-tspider-t Registered Users Posts: 443 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    OK, so I don't have any food in the house! Or at least I don't consider lettuce photogenic, but I found these brown and purple potatoes I bought a long time ago for some still lifes and never got around to using them. So I saw them on top of the fridge and decided to release them from the net bag. Then to my table, a piece of colored paper, my haolgen desk lamp, and bracing the cam against the table edge. Well, what do you think? Too WILD for the challenge, or just too preverse?

Not food... aliens, I think.

I love #2. Go for it!

-Trish
  • GraphyFotozGraphyFotoz Registered Users Posts: 2,267 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    #2 is my fav....maybe re-shoot and eliminate the shadows a lil more.thumb.gif
    Nail it from both sides with lighting and see what happens??ne_nau.gif
    Soft light is GREAT....maybe a touch more DOF...right side looks a lil OOF more than the left.

Call in Fox and Scully from the X-Files and see if it's from area 51???:lol4
    Canon 60D | Nikon Cooloix P7700
    Manfrotto Mono | Bag- LowePro Slingshot 100AW

http://www.graphyfotoz.smugmug.com/
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 18, 2006
    The second one looks like a moose head rolleyes1.gif

Yeah I like the second one better. You should try to put some light in front as well though, and give it a face!! hah clap.gifthumb
    edited March 19, 2006
    OK, looks like I have a subject
    Thanks everyone. Looks like a reshoot is called for... will get to that later on. At least so far no one is saying it's not appropriate! rolleyes1.gif
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Oh man I totally didnt see the last one. It looks like a purple dragon!! hah
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    They are all sooo goodthumb.gif. Contrary to everyone else though, I like the first one the best.

As to appropriate - oh yeah! We all have chemistry/biology experiments in the fridge or in the root cellar. I doubt there is anyone who can NOT relate to this.!! This is sooo good.clap.gif
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    You know Dee, contrary to what others are saying, I like the shadowy lighting.....makes the aliens, er "food", seem more sinister. :heh :heh
    edited March 19, 2006
    Here's the final...
    I reshot this in the morning. Quite a chore to get the same angle, and almost impossible to get the same lighting.

It simply amazed me how much difference a single light could make! I have this halogen lamp of my daughters that I pick up and hold in different spots and different angles.

For the life of me I could not duplicate what I shot previously.

I did some extensive photoshop work in this -- mainly to bring out the red "antlers" and to dull down a hot spot, and to darken the back and foreground.

Oh, and selective sharpening. After shooting manual most of the morning, I forgot and shot on the P mode of my camera.

I used my new tripod -- and Nik's remote control. I should probably post some borinig lighting along with this image on my smugmug site. Think I'll do that, along with this image before photoshop for anyone interested.

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions!!!clap.gif

Here's a link to the same photo straight out of the camera. http://deegolden.smugmug.com/gallery/1286446/1/60621418