Speed Skating

spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
edited March 23, 2006 in Sports
Saw day one of the ISU World Allround Speed Skating Championships today in Calgary at the Olympic Oval. Here are a few I worked up tonight. Found it especially difficult to focus during an event like this.

60505647-M.jpg

60505660-M.jpg

60505678-M.jpg

60505703-M.jpg

60505722-M.jpg

60505743-M.jpg

60505758-M.jpg

60505770-M.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited March 19, 2006
    These are nice shots. There's nothing like the grace and power of a speed
    skater.

One thing, white balance is off.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    I like the perspective of the one previous to the last. Nicely done, although it's too bad that you didn't capture a skater from my country. Not that they're doing well in this tournament, but still.... it must have been impressive to see Cindy Klaasen skating as well as she did.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • spocklingspockling Registered Users Posts: 369 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    These are nice shots. There's nothing like the grace and power of a speed
    skater.

One thing, white balance is off.

Thanks Ian.
    edited March 19, 2006
    marlof wrote:
    I like the perspective of the one previous to the last. Nicely done, although it's too bad that you didn't capture a skater from my country. Not that they're doing well in this tournament, but still.... it must have been impressive to see Cindy Klaasen skating as well as she did.

Thansk, The place was packed so I couldn't move around much to get different perspectives. I was in the first row of seats however. And yeah it was great to see her break that world record. But that race between Hendrick and Davis in the men's 5K was awesome.
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Wow, some excellent shots, spockling! clap.gif Did you shoot in RAW? Even if you didn't, the white balance is an easy fix in either Curves or levels, because you have some obvious white and black points. (I did a quick test on the last image.)
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
    edited March 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Wow, some excellent shots, spockling! clap.gif Did you shoot in RAW, the white balance should be easy to fix.

Thanks Sid, Actually I tried to set my WB myself on site and shoot JPG. Guess that didn't work too well. :cry
    edited March 19, 2006
    spockling wrote:
    Thanks Sid, Actually I tried to set my WB myself on site and shoot JPG. Guess that didn't work too well. :cry
    Still, if you have PS, it's an easy fix, even with jpeg. Here's a quick one I did of your last shot, probably a little heavy handed but you can see how easy it is to make your whites white again.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    edited March 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Still, if you have PS, it's an easy fix, even with jpeg. Here's a quick one I did of your last shot, probably a little heavy handed but you can see how easy it is to make your whites white again.

11doh.gif Ya know...I tried to be too smart while doing these pics. I overthought my process. Thanks. Will correct.
    edited March 20, 2006
    New picture
    How's this one?
    60705413-L.jpg
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    I think it still has a cast.

I set the black point (as outlined in the pop tute in our tutorials, linked in my signature or up top in the how to link), then went hunting for a good gray point. I opted for the gray on the skater. It gave a nice, balanced color, IMO. I started out on the white text in the BG, but didn't like that as much. Then I played with the curves a bit, to give it more pop, and got this:
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 20, 2006
  • gsgarygsgary Registered Users Posts: 1,350 Major grins
    edited March 20, 2006
    These i like alotclap.gif
    edited March 20, 2006
    gsgary wrote:
    These i like alotclap.gif

Thanks Gary.
    edited March 20, 2006
    Now you're getting there! Cool work, spockling.
    Sid.
  • graflexTomgraflexTom Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Well, I like them. I think they are very well done. Shooting on Ice is a white balance mess.
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    I think it still has a cast.

I set the black point (as outlined in the pop tute in our tutorials, linked in my signature or up top in the how to link), then went hunting for a good gray point. I opted for the gray on the skater. It gave a nice, balanced color, IMO. I started out on the white text in the BG, but didn't like that as much. Then I played with the curves a bit, to give it more pop, and got this:

I'm going to disagree and say the original is better. You seem to have taken out the pop rather than put it in and I don't see a colour cast.

ne_nau.gif
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • ShakeyShakey Registered Users Posts: 1,004 Major grins
    edited March 23, 2006
    I think your pictures are fantastic. I am of the opinion so many people wish to see colors and whites which are not "real" just real to what they see in certain photographs "larger than life" if you will. While the reality is not as white or as clean.

Great work Steve

Tim
    edited March 23, 2006
    Shakey wrote:
    I think your pictures are fantastic. I am of the opinion so many people wish to see colors and whites which are not "real" just real to what they see in certain photographs "larger than life" if you will. While the reality is not as white or as clean.

Great work Steve

Tim

Thanks Tim, I apprecaite your comments.:D