Sigma 30mm f/1.4 vs Canon 28mm f/1.8: A Comparison

ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
edited August 3, 2007 in Cameras
Greetings,

There still seems to be a lively discussion as to which is the "better" lens of the Sigma 30/1.4 and the Canon 28/1.8. I asked that question myself recently, and since I wanted to compare the individual copies that I had anyway, I ran my own test. I figured I'd make the results available for others who are still asking this question.

Conditions have so far prevented me from looking at all the aspects that I'd like to, such as flare, CA, etc., but I did spend some time evaluating the one variable that people are most interested in--sharpness. I plan to update the article as I run more tests, but I'm not planning on keeping both lenses forever.

Anyway, check out the result here. I'd be interested to know what you think.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

Comments

• mynakedsodamynakedsoda Registered Users Posts: 177 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Very interesting comparison. To my eyes looking at your crops the Sigma seems as sharp or sharper in the center at all apetures while the Canon seems to blow it away in the corners everywhere. Maybe it's just my eyes at this time of day. It'll be interesting to see what others say after looking at your crops.

To tell you the truth I've wanted this lens (in Nikon mount) worse than anything since it's initial release. So many Nikon users have reported various QC issues with it though, I've been holding out until they seem to be ironed out. Most have been able to resolve them by going thru multiple copies but I'd rather just wait myself. Are Canon users experiencing this with the Sigma?
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    to me, it seems like at smaller apetures the Sigma is sharper. but the canon still retains better color. and up past 2.8 in the corners the Canon is considerably sharper.ne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• ubergeekubergeek Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Sigma quality
    Very interesting comparison. To my eyes looking at your crops the Sigma seems as sharp or sharper in the center at all apetures while the Canon seems to blow it away in the corners everywhere. Maybe it's just my eyes at this time of day. It'll be interesting to see what others say after looking at your crops.
    The Canon should have better corner sharpness--it's a full-frame lens, after all, so we're not seeing the real corners. But yes, the Canon's corners are looking better, definitely up to f/8.
    To tell you the truth I've wanted this lens (in Nikon mount) worse than anything since it's initial release. So many Nikon users have reported various QC issues with it though, I've been holding out until they seem to be ironed out. Most have been able to resolve them by going thru multiple copies but I'd rather just wait myself. Are Canon users experiencing this with the Sigma?
    There certainly seems to be no shortage of anecdotes of poor quality control over at Sigma, and not just among Nikon users. In my case, this is my first/only copy of the lens, I obtained it second-hand, and I didn't have to go to any great lengths to get a good copy (I snatched it up from eBay). But that's just another anecdote among many.

Anyway, thanks for reading!

Cheers,
    Jeremy

Jeremy Rosenberger

Zeiss Ikon, Nokton 40mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.2, Nokton 50mm f/1.5, Canon Serenar 85mm f/2
    Canon Digital Rebel XT, Tokina 12-24mm f/4, Tamron 28-75mm f/2.8, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, Canon 50mm f/1.4

http://ubergeek.smugmug.com/

• asamuelasamuel Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    I would just like to make a contribution regarding the exterior build quality of the sigma 30mm.

I have worked with this as a primary lense for over a year and though the image quality is fine for my level of understanding it is the BODY CASING THAT LEAVES MUCH TO BE DESIRED.

THe rubber coating has flaked off all over the place and I cannot see why they bothered.

The lense has for the last 3 months begun to STICK DRASTICALLY and until I am able to service it it is unusable if it ever will be again.

I have quieried the fact that it may be the consequence of high atmospheric temperatures ( the sticking that is):

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=60071

but this does not seem likely. I hypothesise then that HIGHER ATMOSPHERIC TEMPERATURES DESTABILIZE THE RUBBER COATING THAT THEN GETS SHARDS STUCK IN THE RINGS. (DISCLAIMER : THIS IS A HYPOTHESIS).

Summary: Not at all happy with the lense and its durability/reliability.
    where's the cheese at?

http://www.samuelbedford.com
  • sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    I've found that some spray on sun tan lotion will eat away that rubber coating. Well... I'm not sure if it will actively eat it away but I think the combination of small amounts of spray on sun tan lotion and use on a hot day will make quick work of that coating. One test this did not account for was vignetting. I know for a fact that the sigma 1.4 suffers from it from like f/1.4-2. I haven't played with the 28/1.8... but I own the 35/2 and love that lens very much.

next up - 35/2 vs 30/1.4 vs 28/1.8 :D
  • claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited August 3, 2007
    Thanks for the review. I've been looking on & off at the 28mm-35mm range for a fast "normal-on-a-crop-body" lens. Looks like either one will do the job well.

One small critique of the article: lose the italics, it's much harder to read with them.