Adobe Products Question re: levels / curves

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited March 21, 2006 in Finishing School
1st of all David was quick to answer this question to me via pm, but ik not sure if i understand correctly :dunno ( so what else is new )
anyway, i had adobe photoshop CS and up till recently it worked - i was able to open RAW images and work on them.... Now it doesnt work :cry

ok, so I have a copy of elements 3.0... i can open my RAW images :lust but I dont see that curves thingy that I used to use when i wanted to get a black point as described in davidi's pop tutorial...

However, in elements 3.0, under lighting - there's this adjust levels thingy that has the same eyedroppers as was in the curves thing in adobe CS...
it will let me do a black point...

My question is... is this the same thing as when i was using the curves way in CS? Id rather not have to purchase CS2 and the ONLY thing I used CS for was to open my RAW Images and follow david's Pop tutorial for the Black Point....

troy

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    1st of all David was quick to answer this question to me via pm, but ik not sure if i understand correctly ne_nau.gif ( so what else is new )
    anyway, i had adobe photoshop CS and up till recently it worked - i was able to open RAW images and work on them.... Now it doesnt work :cry
    What changed? New camera?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    What changed? New camera?

dont know.... after a year of using the program it wont run...
    it wants me to re-install the application but i dont have that CD anymore.....

troy
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Troy,

The reason my answer didn't make sense is that I don't have Elements to look at and really answer your question. It sounds like it'll work, though. We need to find someone with Elements who can REALLY answer your question.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited March 19, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Troy,

The reason my answer didn't make sense is that I don't have Elements to look at and really answer your question. It sounds like it'll work, though. We need to find someone with Elements who can REALLY answer your question.
    david here is the screen shot from elemnets where i found the eyedroppers, if you click on the 1st one it says black point....
    so my thinking ( dont trust it ) is this is the same as the thing in CS?
    or is finding the black point using "curves" a different thing all together?
    troy

60598251-L.jpg
    edited March 19, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    david here is the screen shot from elemnets where i found the eyedroppers, if you click on the 1st one it says black point....
    so my thinking ( dont trust it ) is this is the same as the thing in CS?
    or is finding the black point using "curves" a different thing all together?
    troy

Looks to be the same, I say go for it, see how the results look! thumb.gif
    Moderator Emeritus
  • ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited March 19, 2006
    Having use both E-3 and now with CS2, levels in E-3 is not the same as curves. That said a quick google on the net should locate you curves plug-in (s) for E-3, most are free and do pretty well. Actually looking in the E-3 forums on the Adobe site is a good place to start.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited March 19, 2006
    And the curves plug-in doesn't work for E-4 on the MAC -

Nightingale just figured this out - so she is reinstalling E-3. Not what sure to do about E-4 as a result.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SuperSquirrelSuperSquirrel Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited March 19, 2006
    70-300 IS USM for CS2
    windoze wrote:
    1st of all David was quick to answer this question to me via pm, but ik not sure if i understand correctly ne_nau.gif ( so what else is new )

ok, so I have a copy of elements 3.0... i can open my RAW images iloveyou.gif but I dont see that curves thingy that I used to use when i wanted to get a black point as described in davidi's pop tutorial...

However, in elements 3.0, under lighting - there's this adjust levels thingy that has the same eyedroppers as was in the curves thing in adobe CS...
    it will let me do a black point...

My question is... is this the same thing as when i was using the curves way in CS? Id rather not have to purchase CS2 and the ONLY thing I used CS for was to open my RAW Images and follow david's Pop tutorial for the Black Point....

troy

I have a new copy of CS2 that I could help you install in exchange for a wee discount on the lens, made in two easy installments of $200.00, hood included...
    :D
    edited March 19, 2006
    I have a new copy of CS2 that I could help you install in exchange for a wee discount on the lens, made in two easy installments of $200.00, hood included...
    :D

hmmm, headscratch.gif

$445.00 and we have a deal!!!
    can u bring it to work tomorrow??

troy
    edited March 19, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    hmmm, headscratch.gif

$445.00 and we have a deal!!!
    can u bring it to work tomorrow??

troy

Troy, make sure it includes the disk, box, wrapper, eula, manuals, etc. Oh, and a receipt.
    Moderator Emeritus
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2006
    Levels and curves are very different. But for the simple use of setting the black point you can accomplish closely the same thing.

Levels gives you three input settings white, gray, black where as in curves you can change multiple points.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me